Music That Inspires You

last reply
9 replies
5.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Are there any particular songs you find inspire you to write? Do you listen to certain groups depending on the mood of your story?

Feel free to post a link to the song here.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Trivium for fight scenes...Slower songs for emotional scenes so things like Cancer- My Chemical Romance
New Poem out

The Observer
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i have collected a lot of soundtracks over the years that touch various moods in me. when i write, i find that songs with lyrics tend to be distracting, unless they fit the tone PERFECTLY, but usually, i end up having too many words in my head, so it's back to wordless soundtracks. also, techno seems to work for really up beat unergetic peices, so that gets pulled out from time to time as well. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Classical music by Back and Beethoven does it for me, and some Verdi.

www.szadventures.com

Rest in Peace
0 likes
I can't write and listen to music at the same time, but I take a lot of breaks...coffee, cigarettes and music...usually electric blues...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Lurker
0 likes
I used to listen to the Beach Boys greatest hits when I wrote in the past. Now I tend to write songs more than stories, and listening to music while writing a song is distracting at best, potential plagerism at worst.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Anything by Pendulum works for an action sequence, a bit of Bob Mould when I need to be emotive...otherwise Bad Religion works pretty well for me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Music inspires a lot of my writing. It sets a mood or tone for a story, and sometimes it will help me create an entire character.

The novel I'm writing was actually inspired by the song "Flightless Bird, American Mouth" by Iron & Wine. Tragically, the film version of Twilight took a brilliant song, and kind of ruined it by improperly associating it with a cheesey love story. I've always been a big fan of Iron & Wine for their lyrics, and while some people have had trouble interpreting the ones for this song, once you do understand them, you really appreciate their vision. I appreciated it enough to let it inspire an entire storyline, loosely based around the disillusionment of the American Dream and the original ideals giving way to all our modern perversions and neurosis.

I actually pay homage to the song when my two main characters meet for the first time at an Iron & Wine concert.

I'm posting the song link incase anyone is curious.

Lurker
0 likes
Music, I find, stirs the pot. At least for me. Genre? Depends on what I want to write, and a cue as to how to go about it.