Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Poetry: What is your favorite type? Options · View
poetlou
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 11:22:28 AM

what kind of poetry do you enjoy most ! love, faith, trials and tribulations.sadness , love pains, etc.hello2
Louise
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 10:59:40 AM

It depends on my mood as I love a lot of poetry types but I have a huge soft spot for well written love poems. It appeals to the softie in me.

New Poem out

The Observer
gypsy
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 11:45:12 AM

I prefer and grapple with poetry that is challenging, evocative and structured so as to let the meaning reveal itself via the chosen form.

Those that are based upon a poor, repetitive and predictable rhyme scheme make me shu(tt)dder. In fear, that is.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

Circle_Something
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 5:05:16 PM

I like a lot of different poetry. I think my favourite is silly stuff, like "On The Ning Nang Nong" by Spike Milligan.

Of course, I also really enjoy the darker side of poetry like "Lenore" by Egar Allan Poe. Of course, I can't really say Poe without mentioning "The Raven", can I?

I can't really pick a favourite type of poem, but I like it to be dark, slightly comic and also to tell a good tale.

Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Don't forget Kitty and Kitten. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
A love poem <3 Kitty & Kitten
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^= <3 ^.^

DLizze
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:20:51 PM

I like many different types. It depends on my mood. Sometimes I want a good story, like The Cremation of Sam Magee. Other tmes, I want food for thought - that could be something as simple as William Carlos WIlliams' Red Wheel Barrow, or something s complex as Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass. Sometimes I just like a little light humor, like A A Milne's The Matter With Mary Jane, and sometimes I want a story told in nonsense words, like Jabberwocky. Sometimes I want to consider history, like the Illiad, or Sandburg's Chicago, and sometimes I want a good play, like something by Shakespeare. The only poetry I never want is poetry set to a sound track, like rap.

"Any book not worth reading twice was not worth reading the first time." Oscar Wilde
Colors_of_the_Wind
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:53:48 PM

Circle_Something wrote:
I like a lot of different poetry. I think my favourite is silly stuff, like "On The Ning Nang Nong" by Spike Milligan.

Of course, I also really enjoy the darker side of poetry like "Lenore" by Egar Allan Poe. Of course, I can't really say Poe without mentioning "The Raven", can I?

I can't really pick a favourite type of poem, but I like it to be dark, slightly comic and also to tell a good tale.

Poe is one of my favorite authors. I enjoy his "Annabel Lee" and, of course, "The Raven" also. The Romanticism period of time in general was very interesting for poetry.

To answer the forum question as a whole:

I like almost any kind of poetry, I tend to not like the structured ones (go figure, most of mine are not structured), but if it is well written and I can connect to it, then it is a good poem in my book. As for type... Gothic is nice, depending on my mood. I have a soft spot for love poems, too. I write a lot of them that read like a small story, so if I can ever find those out in the published world it's nice too.

Mostly, I like all poetry. Though I have to say I'm particularly fond of Maya Angelou's "Insomnia(c)" and Poe's "Annabel Lee".

Check out my website The Wandering Squirrel

Working on a new draft of Tomorrow and a first draft of a dystopian-ish novel. We'll see what actually gets written, lol.
Survivor
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 2:17:00 PM

I love poetry that speaks to the human condition and humanity's place in our world. Haiku always works well for this. It also works as a vessel to describe the majesty of the world itself.

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
Colors_of_the_Wind
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:21:15 PM

Haiku and Free Verse are my favorite to write.

I love any kind of poetry to read.

And the genres I enjoy range from the dark, realistic, traumatizing types to (sometimes) lovey-dovey romance stuff.

Check out my website The Wandering Squirrel

Working on a new draft of Tomorrow and a first draft of a dystopian-ish novel. We'll see what actually gets written, lol.
rosemaureen
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 5:28:20 PM

My desire for a certain type of poem changes with my mood
AvrgBlkGrl
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 4:10:05 AM

I like poems that either pull me out of my experience (gives me a much needed break) or that make me delve deeply into a spiritual or cerebral examination of my experiences or emotions. I like to laugh too. It doesn't hurt if it's at myself.

Please Read My Latest Story (Click on the Banner):