No matter what 'it' was, Chaucer had a word for it

last reply
4 replies
5.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
This is a neat little item I stumbled across recently. It seems that Geoffrey Chaucer, he of The Canterbury Tales, is responsible for a good number of words we still use today although he lived in the 1300s and wrote in Middle English. A clever fellow, that one!

[url=http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/10/chaucer-coined-twitter/58374/][b][size=6]Geoffrey Chaucer Coined 'Twitter'
[/url]
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Rest in Peace
0 likes
I had no idea he invented Twitter...the man truly was ahead of his time...

Interesting collection of words he got there...a "proem?" Is that like a prose poem or something?
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal
Proem isn't used much anymore, at least in my circles, so it seems an odd choice for inclusion in the word cloud.

Can't recall the last time I used poppet, caterwaul, or fattish either...interesting that the word "future" is included...

Apparently there was no future before Chaucer...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Lurker
0 likes
Okay, all you bright sparks out there, a challenge:

Can anyone write a coherent piece of prose or poetry using ALL of the words in the Chaucer Word Cloud?

I'm off to have a go and see what I come up with.

BRB!
Lurker
0 likes
Okay, try this for size...

All agree that the insolent nymph, the epitome of jolliness was, according to proverb, an angel-like enchantress. Using her femininity as her weapon she wantonly engaged in a sluttish dalliance with a fattish dotard one Valentine’s Day. She saw the possibility of poetical praise for her womanhood after she had completed her ablution.
It was annoying: the little poppet, expecting to be like a narcotic, found instead that she was deemed crude and annoying by the miserly and superstitious monster. Rather than get involved in an altercation and have her own intellectuality challenged she bid her fleshy host good-night. Not yet ready to retire she took an amble with the magician. He told her of the future that was written in the Milky Way. His poignant and melancholic twitter was proem to a loud caterwaul set up by a nearby cat in heat.
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960

All agree that the insolent nymph, the epitome of jolliness was, according to proverb, an angel-like enchantress. Using her femininity as her weapon she wantonly engaged in a sluttish dalliance with a fattish dotard one Valentine’s Day. She saw the possibility of poetical praise for her womanhood after she had completed her ablution.
It was annoying: the little poppet, expecting to be like a narcotic, found instead that she was deemed crude and annoying by the miserly and superstitious monster. Rather than get involved in an altercation and have her own intellectuality challenged she bid her fleshy host good-night. Not yet ready to retire she took an amble with the magician. He told her of the future that was written in the Milky Way. His poignant and melancholic twitter was proem to a loud caterwaul set up by a nearby cat in heat.

Nicely done! I intended to undertake the Chaucer Challenge shortly after posting the word cloud, but something distracted me and I never got around to it.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Lurker
0 likes

Nicely done! I intended to undertake the Chaucer Challenge shortly after posting the word cloud, but something distracted me and I never got around to it.

There's still time...

You wouldn't want my effort to be the definitive version now, would you... ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960

Great job.0VoMUlmE1Bw6sZKm

Out of deep heartfelt love and respect for Chaucer (and realization of my ineptness, which is another way of saying I'm too lazy), I'm not touching that challenge. No need embarrassing myself.

Go ahead Magnificent1rascal. There is still time. Lay it on us.q0oZ6mPBN7M0kB7p
Please Read My Latest Story (Click on the Banner):

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by AvrgBlkGrl

Great job.N4CPA8OaOAeoNeok

Out of deep heartfelt love and respect for Chaucer (and realization of my ineptness, which is another way of saying I'm too lazy), I'm not touching that challenge. No need embarrassing myself. [/size

Go ahead Magnificent1rascal. There is still time. Lay it on us.Kr4vZ3VVgctqcpXi

That's a real pity... With your undoubted talent, wit and intellect I am pretty sure you would have come up with something brilliant... Ah well, we will never know now, will we?
Lurker
0 likes
I am amazed that there have been no other takers of this particular challenge.

How suprising given the plethora of talent to be found here...
Lurker
0 likes
Gosh!

Who would have thought that MY slight effort has, by default, become the definitive version of the Chaucer Word Cloud Challenge...