Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

My book "I Often Wonder: a collection of poetry and prose by Alan W. Jankowski" is now out Options · View
DirtyMartini
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012 7:27:56 AM

My book I Often Wonder: a collection of poetry and prose by Alan W. Jankowski on Inner Child Press is now officially out and available at fine book-type retailers like Amazon.com...

Here is the link for the U.S. Amazon...

I Often Wonder: a collection of poetry and prose [Paperback]
http://www.amazon.com/Often-Wonder-collection-poetry-prose/dp/0615690815/ref=la_B0084J97OE_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346676588&sr=1-1

And in the U.K...

I Often Wonder: a collection of poetry and prose [Paperback]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Often-Wonder-collection-poetry-prose/dp/0615690815/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4

It is a collection of 78 poems and 4 short stories and includes a number of poems never before published...check it out my friends...happy8

I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

gypsy
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:03:54 AM

Best of luck with it, Alan.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

DirtyMartini
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:29:39 PM

gypsymoth wrote:
Best of luck with it, Alan.

Thanks Gypsy...trying to push this out the door a bit, while my name gets around on the internet, which happens around this time...I sent a note to the editor of The Suburban, a local New Jersey paper serving Middlesex and Monmouth counties in NJ, and btw, I just looked it up...that's over 1.5 million people in those two counties...anyway, got this note earlier today...

Jacqueline Durett
2:14 PM (7 hours ago)

to me
Hi Alan -- I'm the South Amboy reporter for The Suburban. Let me know what might be a good day/time for a call. As of right now, I'm booked for Thursday, but outside of that can be fairly flexible.

Thanks,
Jacqueline Durett

The interview's going to be over the phone sometime this week btw...so much for being wined and dined by reporters...ahem...

We'll see what happens in another week or so...if my 9/11 poem gets used in enough ceremonies, I might be able to get some wider press coverage, but that remains to be seen...

The book release was obviously timed with that in mind, but I don't want to be perceived as trying to profit off of 9/11, so I'm sitting here thinking about what I'm going to say, and what I should include...I think she's going to send me some questions prior to the phone interview btw...

When I wrote the editor over the weekend I kept it fairly on point...mentioned I'm a published author, published in fiction and recognized by P&W Magazine, that I have a book that just came out, and that it includes a poem that became rather well known...and included the link here in the forum that I posted last year about "My 9-11 Tribute poem has been in print 14 times" or something like that...

Now I'm sitting here thinking about what else I want the world to know, so if I sound like I'm thinking out loud here, I am...

I'll mention I'm a volunteer mod here on SS, I want to mention the book I was in earlier this year to benefit The American Cancer Society...and not sure what else at the moment...

Anyway, a fairly experienced author in an online writing group made the comment recently that it generally takes about 18 months of promo before a book starts to sell on its own...so...it might be a while before it walks on its own...I'd like to give it a good kick out the door though...

After Sept. 11, I'm going to start doing the guest blog thing...I'll try to write up something I can use over and over again...just change the host's name or something...happy8

The first guest blog request I got came from fellow Stories Space member Val Muller btw...I've known her since I got in that Christmas anthology on DWB last year...her YA books are with DWB...she's also been in the "Chicken Soup" books a couple of times, as well as other stuff...

She is Mercuryval here on SS...

mercuryval
http://www.storiesspace.com/mercuryval

That's the plan for now...in another month or so I'll be ready for a long vacation...preferably on an island where all I have to do is sip cocktails with little umbrellas or something...icon_smile

steffanie
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:41:53 PM

DirtyMartini wrote:
I'd like to give it a good kick out the door though...

What about a video? Such as poetry readings in unusual locations.

Anything a bit weird would do - so long as it ends up on YouTube.

Just a thought... well done for getting this far. I always read your progress reports.

DirtyMartini
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:49:22 PM

steffanie wrote:

What about a video? Such as poetry readings in unusual locations.

Anything a bit weird would do - so long as it ends up on YouTube.

"Anything a bit weird" eh? Don't see myself doing the video thing right now, but ICP wants me on their blog radio shows...and they do a bunch of them...that'll be coming up, probably starting next week...

Inner Child Radio
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/inner-child-radio

And thanks for following my posts here btw...icon_smile

RosanneDingli
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 1:35:50 AM

Good luck, Alan - I would be very interested to hear how this one flies after a few months. My story collections do not sell as well as my novels, and I'd like to find ways to fix that.
DirtyMartini
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 5:25:36 PM

RosanneDingli wrote:
Good luck, Alan - I would be very interested to hear how this one flies after a few months. My story collections do not sell as well as my novels, and I'd like to find ways to fix that.

The general consensus from everything I've ever heard is that story and poem collections will never sell as well as novels, and I certainly don't expect anything I can do to change what is apparently a world order...

I haven't really given it quite the push out the door I would have liked since it came out in September, for various reasons I won't get into...I think at this point I can name everyone that bought the book so far...

I don't like to come across as too needy with friends, coworkers, family, etc...but, I do make people around me aware that I am a writer...in a sort of subtle way...someone in the workplace recently showed an interest, and I bought the book in on Tuesday of this week for the first time...it looks like it's going well actually, one confirmed sale, and I was told someone actually read my poem "The Jerk At Work" and two others at a meeting...

Time to remind people that signed copies would make great Christmas gifts...happy8

DirtyMartini
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:46:59 PM

This week really marks the start of me promoting my book in earnest, for various reasons, even though the book came out in September...I just got 100 copies shipped to myself...just got back from a meeting with Elaine R. Gaber, Director of Sadie Pope Dowdell Library of South Amboy about the possibility of selling my book in the library, with a portion of the proceeds donated to the library...she wants to read the book first, to confirm there is nothing offensive, and I can understand that...so, I left her with a copy along with the interview of me by Jacqueline Durett of the Suburban...watch this forum for more updates my SS friends...happy8

Sadie Pope Dowdell Public Library of South Amboy
http://www.dowdell.org/

She told me she'd get back to me in about a week btw, with a possibility of starting things off with a "meet the author" type event...

She wants me to e-mail her bio info, etc...I'll probably be sending her links to stuff here on SS...just sayin'

DirtyMartini
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 11:59:31 AM

My book is now available on Kindle...here's the link for Amazon here in the U.S...for other countries, it seems to already be linked to the paperback...so if you go up to that U.K link I posted up top, you'll see the link to the Kindle version...

I Often Wonder: a collection of poetry and prose Kindle Edition
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0145VHPKC