Writing short stuff (Micro and Flash)

last reply
11 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Crazy old ape
0 likes
How do you do it? How do you get a story down to under 1000, or under 100, words and still get the story told?

I am sure there are all kinds of tricks and tips for writing short short fiction. Let's share them.

1. Adjectives and adverbs are the enemy, esp. in micro. Yes, you might need the former from time to time but review each one to make sure it is really necessary.

2. Active takes fewer words than passive in many cases. And writing in active voice is good practice anyhow.

3. Watch for cases where a small wording change can save words (trying to remember the example from the micro i wrote this afternoon and I can't)

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Several years ago, I wrote a long guide to very short fiction, and am posting a copy here. The original thread is “Micro Fiction Explained” in the Resources for Writers forum.

Quote by magnificent1rascal
Micro fiction — complete stories of 20-100 words — is gaining popularity as a writing category. Many people assume writing fewer words is easier than writing a traditional short story or flash fiction piece, but in fact mastering micro fiction is a difficult task. Even though the number of words is tightly limited, the writer must convey the five main elements that make up a story: theme, setting, plot, character and conflict. Although some of the details may have to be inferred rather than being stated outright, all of these elements must be present in some form.

- THEME is the central idea of a piece of fiction. What message are you trying to convey? This doesn't need to be stated in the story, but the micro fiction writer should have a specific, narrowly focused idea in mind while writing.

- SETTING is not just the physical location where the story takes place, but also the mood surrounding the action. In micro fiction, the writer does not have the luxury of waxing eloquent about the setting; when every word counts, many have to do double duty. Descriptions of setting need to be slipped in while advancing the plot.

- PLOT is what happens in a story. Typically, the plot of a story consists of five stages: introduction, rising action, climax, falling action and denouement or resolution. By its very nature, micro fiction requires a simple, straightforward plot.

- CHARACTER means both the individuals portrayed in a story and their characteristics. Every story needs a protagonist, the central character, and most have an antagonist, someone working against the protagonist. Don't undertake a story with multiple characters as a micro fiction piece. One or two will usually suffice.

- CONFLICT is not just fighting or butting heads, although those are examples of it, but rather anything that alters the course of the action in a story. Conflict is what drives plot.

Is it possible to fit all of those elements into a story of 100 words or less? Absolutely. I'm going to dissect my own micro fiction piece, It's Over, as an example of how it can be done.

"Honey, I'm ho-ome," Matt warbled as he entered the kitchen and tossed his keys into a bowl on the table. Loosening his tie, he made for the bedroom, where he expected to find his wife changing from her work clothes.

This establishes the setting of the piece and introduces the characters. The physical location is a couple's home, and the mood is light and cheery at the beginning. The characters are Matt, the protagonist, and his wife. We know that the couple has a dual income. Matt is in a position that requires him to wear a tie to work. His wife may be a businessperson, or her work may call for a uniform. Matt warbling his greeting implies a happy marriage.

Instead he met her in the dining room, glaring at him from behind a laptop computer through eyes red from crying. She knew. To deny or rationalize the affair would insult her intelligence and make matters worse.

"It's over, I promise," he said simply.

Rising action and conflict take place in the middle of the story. The mood also shifts dramatically, leading to the piece's climax:

"Oh? So are we."

After the climactic line, the reader must fill in the falling action. But what was said and done, and whether the couple was angry, subdued or tearful matters little, for it led to the same outcome.

The next evening, Matt swiped a card to unlock his door.

The denouement is that Matt has left their home, at least temporarily, and is staying in a hotel.

It's Over began life as a six-word story: "It's over." "Oh? So are we." However, it soon became apparent that the piece would benefit from a little fleshing out. While it didn't quite work as a six-word story, it is well-suited to longer micro fiction.

In summary, use the following guidelines when writing micro fiction:

Stay within 100 words. Use the site character / word counter to check the length of your submission. http://www.storiesspace.com/resources/count-characters.aspx

Keep it simple. Aim for a basic plot and few characters.

After the writing is finished, diagram the piece as I've done above. Ask yourself if the story includes all the elements of a short story, and be truthful in your answer.

Revise, revise, revise. It's not easy to fit a story into such a small space. Lines you love may have to be trimmed or excised.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As you all know, I’m new to writing and any advice I give should be taken with that in mind. I enjoy the 100 word challenge. I start with a punch line and work my way backward. It seems to work for me. Having an ending somehow makes it easier for me. Once I have that punch line I try and build a story around it. I know this is probably not a very good example but I think it says it all in just 52 words.

The boat was taking on water, it was starting to sink. John was in full panic mode, helpless as the water was flowing in. I leant over at full reach and managed to lift his stricken boat from the pond. The smile returned to John’s face. “Thank you mummy, you saved it.”
Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes
Not that I can write micros for sh1t, ut I'd agree with Verity that the last line is the place to start. Good micros seem to all be really tightly structured: plot, plot, plot. You gotta know what you're gonna do before you get in.

Flash--which I like to think I'm pretty good at--are a different beast. The key, for me, is finding a tiny plot point, a small change in a character's attitude or situation, and focus entirely on it. If the plot of a novel goes from A to Z, the plot of a flash is from A to B - just one small step.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes
Quote by verbal
Not that I can write micros for sh1t, ut I'd agree with Verity that the last line is the place to start. Good micros seem to all be really tightly structured: plot, plot, plot. You gotta know what you're gonna do before you get in.

Flash--which I like to think I'm pretty good at--are a different beast. The key, for me, is finding a tiny plot point, a small change in a character's attitude or situation, and focus entirely on it. If the plot of a novel goes from A to Z, the plot of a flash is from A to B - just one small step.

Agreed. You need to have stuck the landing before you even begin writing. I wrote many, many flash and microflash stories. With some, I really tried to twist the plot, distracting with one narrative while covertly leading with another. The Tonya-coined, G-spin evolved from flashing the reader. 🤭

I recall one story in particular that received lots of glowing feedback. If I can re-write it without the naughty bits, I might republish it. That particular story had a one word, ending sentence. Others of similar surprise ending ilk had several words more.

Just remember that every word counts. Use each wisely.
Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Oopsie... Double posted!

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by MagnificentBastard
With some, I really tried to twist the plot, distracting with one narrative while covertly leading with another.

Not to mention that one of mine that you twisted, G!

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/micro-fiction/home-late.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Writing microfiction stories seems to be a skill that comes naturally to some people. I have never studied the technique but I have worked hard enough to write about 136 of them here on Storeisspace. And in that time I have been able to garner 8 Recommended Reads from them. One would have to ask the moderators of the stories to explain what I did to accomplish that. I have no real clue as to how to do it consistently.

I miss seeing the micros that Hazelsheaven gave to us. She offered us only 8 of them but was winning a reputation as a true master of them. For some reason, she stopped writing.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing
Quote by MagnificentBastard
With some, I really tried to twist the plot, distracting with one narrative while covertly leading with another.

Not to mention that one of mine that you twisted, G!

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/micro-fiction/home-late.aspx[/quote]

Oh, I forgot about that! That was fun, wasn’t it?

We’ll try that again. Maybe keep it to two or three writers. IDK.

Or have teams compete for fun to see what each team comes up with.
Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Crazy old ape
0 likes
One thing I like about micros is that there is lots of room to set things up, then let the reader's imagination run wild. It is too little space to really flesh things out so you give a few key bits and then the imagination can fill in the rest.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
One thing I like about micros is that there is lots of room to set things up, then let the reader's imagination run wild. It is too little space to really flesh things out so you give a few key bits and then the imagination can fill in the rest.

Absolutely, Scott. With one hundred words, one can send the reader's mind in any direction one wishes. Remember this one?

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/micro-fiction/fear-and-loathing.aspx

0 likes
Quote by Mendalla

This. I’ve never analysed writing micros & flash, I just write them and keep editing until they sound ok. Seems to work.