Find your next favourite story now
Login

What quote from literature or any media stands out to you?

last reply
9 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
3 likes
Active Ink Slinger
1 like
From the movie 'V for Vendetta':

Followed shortly by my favorite line:

V: It means that I, like God, do not play with dice and do not believe in coincidence. Are you hurt?
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
0 likes
There's one from Zorba the Greek about why we read books, but unfortunately I can't find it and don't have the book with me at the moment.

As a second best though, I would go for the following, from J.P. Sartre:

"That is what I mean when I say that man is condemned to be free. Condemned, because he did not create himself, yet is nevertheless at liberty, and from the moment that he is thrown into this world he is responsible for everything he does"
Active Ink Slinger
1 like
"We are all creatures of light and darkness. Embracing your darkness won't kill the light. Goodness is stronger than that." - Anita Blake

Laurell K. Hamilton - 'Burnt Offering'
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Regretfully, I've not read much these last few years outside of research for writing or cosmetics, but there is a part from a recent Dua Lipa song that really stood out to me as soon as I heard it.

"Sick intuition that they taught us so we won't freak out
We hide our figures, doin' anythin' to shut their mouths
We smile away to ease the tension so it don't go south
But there's nothin' funny now.

~Boys Will Be Boys.

💓 Melissa Etheridge - PULSE ( for orlando victims ) 💓 - YouTube

As always, kindness is free, so please consider that when replying to someone rather than the alternatives. You never know what's going on in their life that you may not see. Love, Light & Blessed Be, friends.

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like
"Seek simplicity and distrust it.” - A N Whitehead

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

0 likes

“If you’re really a mean person you’re going to come back as a fly and eat poop.”- Kurt Cobain

Mystica Flora
0 likes

"Pray, hope, and don't worry." - St. Padre Pio

I know the quote is from a Saint and not literature or media, but I live my life by this quote, and St. Pio was a beautiful person.

Importance of a Name

Every name has a meaning and importance to them.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Since we've had songs quoted already, how about this one from Finnish songwriter Tuomas Holopainen:

"Would you do it with me?

Heal the scars

And change the stars.

Would do it for me?

Turn loose the heaven within."

From "Ever Dream", originally recorded by his band Nightwish.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

One of my favourite openings for a novel ever:

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment."

-The War of the Worlds, H. G. Wells

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
"What? In riddles?" said Gandalf. "No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.”

J.R.R Tolkein - Lord of the Rings.

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana