Login

Name something positive that's happened during lockdown

last reply
25 replies
1.7k views
1 watcher
7 likes
0 likes
For me, I rediscovered quality family time. My kids are in their late teens so were hardly ever at home before lockdown. In the past few months, I've spent evenings with them again, which has been a real blessing
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Had my son living at home for a month. Wanted him to stay longer. He was on work from home so didn't need to be in Ottawa. However, a young lady was involved and apparently that trumps parents.

Not commuting to work has been nice. That usually eats up 45-60 minutes a day for me. The commute from my kitchen to my home office is much shorter.L7EQnfOOAzQUoePK

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

0 likes
The air pollution level dropped drastically, which was great. Since our lockdown encompassed the spring season, it seems to me the trees foliage is more abundant and healthier than in previous years, thanks to less air pollution.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
The air pollution level dropped drastically, which was great.

No one has said anything about the air quality here but we've gone through two or three long heat waves with only one air quality alert this summer. Usually, any hot, muggy weather leads to air quality issues after a day or two in Southwestern Ontario. Mostly blows across the border from the Midwestern US due to prevailing air currents but we generate some of our own, too. So, it seems like it is better here but I haven't heard anything to substantiate that yet.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The city added a tonne of new bike lanes in anticipation of people no longer using public transit to get around.
Hey! I write!

If you're into Twilight Zone, read this: [url=https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/flash-fiction/-that-orange-feeling-.aspx][color=orange]That Orange Feeling
[/url]
If you're feeling naughty, read this: [url=https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/micro-fiction/twas-the-night-after-christmas.aspx][color=green]Twas the Night After Christmas[/url]
If you're into tear jerkers, read this: A Hundred Breaths

Thank you!
0 likes
Quote by Paperboy
The city added a tonne of new bike lanes in anticipation of people no longer using public transit to get around.

That’s really good. I’ve enjoyed the quieter roads during lockdown, not just for driving but for walking too. Unfortunately, The roads are pretty much back to normal now. Shame.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Paperboy

Same here. Most of them were already planned, but they are getting them rolled out faster.

The lighter traffic is a dream here, now. Last couple times I've been out and about, traffic was pretty much back to normal.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well, at least on the weekends here they've also shut down some major routes leading to, and along, the lakeshore just for bike and foot traffic. Makes it so much more enjoyable just wheeling around without checking over your shoulder for cars or having to hug the curbs.
Hey! I write!

If you're into Twilight Zone, read this: [url=https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/flash-fiction/-that-orange-feeling-.aspx][color=orange]That Orange Feeling
[/url]
If you're feeling naughty, read this: [url=https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/micro-fiction/twas-the-night-after-christmas.aspx][color=green]Twas the Night After Christmas[/url]
If you're into tear jerkers, read this: A Hundred Breaths

Thank you!
0 likes
Recognizing gender inequality, I think that's very important.

To see it, to know it exists is good because there can be strides to narrow it.

Out with the archaic, in with equality.
Magnificent Bastard
0 likes
Got two puppies for the family, especially for the kids.

Got two motorcycles for me. Riding is an awesome way to disconnect and decompress.
Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Active Ink Slinger
1 like
For the first time in my life I have built up the confidence to write. So far, I have really enjoyed it and actually wish I had started sooner. I have a lot of catching up to do. I feel sorry for Molly, you should see the amount of corrections I get. Thank you Molly 🌼🌼🌼
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Verity
For the first time in my life I have built up the confidence to write. So far, I have really enjoyed it and actually wish I had started sooner.

I think many of us SS regulars would say we enjoy it and wish you had started sooner, too. Writing has certainly generated some high points of the pandemic for me, too (first comp win, most notably).

Active Ink Slinger
1 like
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by Verity
For the first time in my life I have built up the confidence to write. So far, I have really enjoyed it and actually wish I had started sooner.

I think many of us SS regulars would say we enjoy it and wish you had started sooner, too. Writing has certainly generated some high points of the pandemic for me, too (first comp win, most notably).
What a lovely thing to say. Thank you
Kaiju-adjacent
1 like
I got offered early retirement during lockdown (as a result of lockdown!) and it has brought positive changes to nearly every aspect of my life. My Dad died about 2 months before lockdown hit, and as deeply unnerving and painful as that was, I was thankful the whole world went kind of quiet for the next year, and allowed me to grieve in calm, isolated and strangely surreal surroundings.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My dad finally retiring ..πŸ˜ƒπŸ™ŒπŸŽŠ finally!!
Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes
Quote by etairay

My dad finally retiring ..πŸ˜ƒπŸ™ŒπŸŽŠ finally!!

Smart man. I bet he enjoys it greatly.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by verbal
Smart man. I bet he enjoys it greatly.

Smart man ..he is. About retiring ..he's not. It was due to covid and his age, he had no choice. It took a few months for him to settle into retirement life, but yes, he's enjoying it. How can he not πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜ƒ he's got the best sidekick EVER!!
Active Ink Slinger
1 like
I lost the stone in weight I put on in the early months of the pandemic — and a load more besides — though I can't quite fit into the suit I wore for my wedding back in 1973 yet, which I was able to try on again as quite bizarrely I still have it hanging in a wardrobe in plastic in the spare room, even though I've not worn it since the late seventies — and even then, that last time was probably only its third outing. Another inch off the waist should do it.

Mmmm: the purple kipper tie that still hangs with it will have to go through.

0 likes

I've become close to a few bands. I wouldn't go as far as to call them friends cause I just don't call anyone a friend. 

Rookie Scribe
1 like

I did some writing and I met a trio of friends who have become very near and dear to me on the internet, something I would have been too busy to do had life remained "normal". 

Crazy old ape
1 like

I got to use my patio table as an office. On a nice afternoon, it's a great way to get some fresh air. Have kind of stopped now, though. Getting too rainy and the wasps have been harassing me.

Active Ink Slinger
1 like
Quote by Verity
For the first time in my life I have built up the confidence to write. So far, I have really enjoyed it and actually wish I had started sooner. I have a lot of catching up to do. I feel sorry for Molly, you should see the amount of corrections I get. Thank you Molly 🌼🌼🌼
Molly is a trouper for sure!  Not that you aren't exaggerating.  You are one of the most delightful people I have met in a while for sure.  And I meet lots of them.  Keep writing, even though I may be a while getting to them. Been super busy with doctor's appointments and testing.  Looking to have things get better after a surgery coming up.  Fingers crossed.

0 likes

Talking to former friends who I love and miss πŸ˜‡ (my childhood friends)

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

My first child was born, Adelaide, "Adie," and got time to learn about being a mom. (Adie now has twin sisters, Alie and Abie)

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

My first child was born, Adelaide, "Adie," and got time to learn about being a mom. (Adie now has twin sisters, Alie and Abie)