Did writing…

last reply
9 replies
6.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Is writing the first thing you did? Or did someone influence you to do so? I guess many successful writers find writing not their first love, maybe some of them just have it as an accident hobby and turn out to be a fine craft.
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by dade30
Is writing the first thing you did?

I am quite certain that writing is not the first thing I did after I was born...I'm sort of an "accidental writer"...I stumbled upon an erotic story site three years ago, and after a few days on the site decided to try writing a story to see if I could get something on their "Hottest Fantasy" list...took me two tries btw...

It was sort of a challenge, like a mountain that needed to be climbed...I just kept on writing afterwards...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I can't remember what the first book I ever read was, but the first really good one made me want to write the way that author did. I was lost in their world and so disappointed when the book ended, and I had this urge to draw people into another world that just never went away. Plus, there are too many ideas in my head trying to dig their way out. I'd go mad if I didn't write, quite literally, and it's been that way for as long as I can remember.
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you - Ray Bradbury.

Find me on Smashwords: www.smashwords.com/profile/view/VanessaFinaughty
Hire me as your editor: www.write-way-freelancers.com
Administration
0 likes
Writing is something I've always wanted to do, but I never considered it as a career until two years ago. Most of my time as a teacher was spent writing stories for my lessons, stories that most other teachers at my school ended up using as well. I never thought of it as being 'a writer', merely as being 'a creative teacher'. I still write for fun and as a cheap form of therapy, but I am more serious now about wanting to be a writer.

And the first writer I read that inspired me to write was Ray Bradbury. I was a huge fan as a kid. Incidentally, Ray passed away little over a month ago, may his soul be at peace.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am myself also did not come to love writing when I was little, it was just part of my school activities then and I really try hard to do it my best. Now it came to be my hobby. smile
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I started writing 3 years ago. When my wife was diagnosed with cancer, I needed to find a way to keep our families and friends up to date with the treatments and prognosis. And so, I started a blog. The blog went through several iterations before settling into http://fifafan.ca. Since then, I have written not only about our journey through cancer, but also about random stuff. I then branched into trying to write short stories, which has led me to my passion of late...poetry.
There are two kinds of people in the world.
Those who like bacon.
And those who are wrong.

Twitter: @fifafan1969
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've been writing since I was a kid. It was a talent I discovered through a writing exercise in the fourth grade. Today, creative writing is a hobby I delve into while I work on my degree in communications.

www.szadventures.com

Lurker
0 likes
I spent so much time on my own as a kid that reading became my favourite pastime. However, when I was asked to write something for an English composition exercise as a kid - and got praised for - I was hooked.

Nowadays I write as much for personal pleasure as for recognition. I realised long ago that I was never going to enter the public consciousness as an author of note so I settled comfortably into the role of talented amateur. I can live with that
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I grew up in a reading and writing family. Dad was a reporter, editor, and freelance photo journalist. His degree was in a dual discipline of Agricultural Journalism. I have pictures of me at 18 month's helping Dad write.

Later writing was a school chore and I didn't care for it as I had to conform to rules and styles. What I did write was praised but I was never motivated.

I am now motivated as writing is the means to the end of sharing my life experiences. I can also document family events and incidents for future generations. I found during my fling at genealogy that you can find the sequence but rarely get a real glimpse into thee lives and personalities of your ancestors. I intend to change that for my branch of the family.

I do enjoy poetry, songs, and fantasy as personal fun.
May your parchment be smooth, your ink never blot, and your writing never block.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I grew up in a family that valued learning. Each night after dinner we would read for half an hour to an hour, then maybe have a discussion and then get on with our things. Writing for me happened rather naturally. As an avid reader, it seemed like the logical choice to pick up the pen and give it a go. English and history were my best subjects at school because I got to write whether it was creatively or an account of actual past events. I love writing, it is my outlet and my chance to be creative.