last reply
27 replies
6.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Story Moderator
0 likes
Two Challenges To Prompt Your Imagination - sorta

Those folks wary of traveling to the top of the forums page may have missed the two challenges now available in the 'Challenges and Prompts' (just for fun) forum.

The 'Time Warp'' challenge is for stories in any category, up to 5,000 words.
The Describe the Singer one is for micro fiction.

No pressure, no deadline. Each challenge has its own entry guidelines, including word limit.

So far, nine brave souls have taken on the 'Singer' challenge while 'Time Warp' is well represented but the exact number of entries is beyond me -- among many other things.

Anyway, take a look at the 'Challenges and Prompts' forum and give both of them a try. You have now been officially challenged. ;)

Primus Omnium
0 likes
It must be mentioned that if and when you enter a Challenge you will receive a shiny new badge as a Challenge Champ. It is "numbered" such that each challenge you enter the badge reflects that. Since I have entered both existing challenges I am a "Challenge Champ 2". What an incentive, right?

Carry on.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Interesting. I just checked and my badge only shows 1 challenge met. I actually did both so it should be a 2. WAAAAAAAAAA!! I want my other challenge!!
Lurker
0 likes
What is it with the badge ego!
Primus Omnium
0 likes
What is it with the "rain on the parade" ego.
Lurker
0 likes
i'm not in a parade. Are you?
Primus Omnium
0 likes
My apologies. I thought you would understand a metaphor. My mistake.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by Obituarius

My friend, please don't start down this road again. Badges are an accepted practice for this site and the majority of members appreciate them. We all understand your position on badges and don't want to impede or censor your comments, but given that this topic has been discussed and settled in favor of badges, I implore you to embrace and rejoice in any victories we writers are able to achieve.
Administration
0 likes
Quote by Obituarius

You're right, it probably is ego, but know what, it's also a heck of a lot of fun chasing badges. Fun is something you might want to try on here, for no other reason than it is fun.

I think I need to tackle these challenges too, it's been a while since I got a shiny new badge.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by Obituarius

You're right, it probably is ego, but know what, it's also a heck of a lot of fun chasing badges. Fun is something you might want to try on here, for no other reason than it is fun.

I think I need to tackle these challenges too, it's been a while since I got a shiny new badge.

I have and it got me nowhere when all the apples go to a few pies. A posse does not change the truth.
Administration
0 likes
Quote by Obituarius
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by Obituarius

I have and it got me nowhere when all the apples go to a few pies. A posse does not change the truth.

Never liked apple pie myself. Apples should be crunchy, not squishy. Don't you agree?

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Administration
0 likes
Quote by Obituarius
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by Obituarius

Never liked apple pie myself. Apples should be crunchy, not squishy. Don't you agree?

Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Obituarius

Just an observation...

For someone who claims not to care about badges, you seem to care a lot about badges.

Quote by Obituarius
Quote by Sherzahd

A posse may not change the truth (whatever that means), but neither does repeating the same thing over and over, ad infinitum. The truth, in this case, is that:

1. Most of our members enjoy badges
2. Those who don’t have the option of hiding them on their profile
3. Someone else receiving a badge doesn’t affect you in the slightest
4. Badges aren’t going away on this site

This matter has been discussed and debated for months, and although the resolution was clearly not to your liking, it is time for you to lay down your king and gracefully accept defeat.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Lurker
0 likes
I move that Storiesspace Admin create and award a new badge to Obit. I’m not sure what it could be, maybe just a blank, but give him a badge. Make Love (with badges), Not War.

And speaking of the next competition...

Hey! Who said that?

Administration
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by Sherzahd

Never liked apple pie myself.

A heretic! A heretic!

Smother it in ice cream... ice cream makes everything better.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd

A heretic who nonetheless speaks truth. The best kind.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Rumple_deWriter
If the next contest is something along the lines of, 'Threadjack of the Year' this sucker will win hands down, imo. ;)

God, the threadjacks I've seen (on other sites, not this one). This is minor, Rump.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by Rumple_deWriter
If the next contest is something along the lines of, 'Threadjack of the Year' this sucker will win hands down, imo. ;)

God, the threadjacks I've seen (on other sites, not this one). This is minor, Rump.

Or maybe not so minor, if one takes into account the inversely proportional size of this site in comparison to those others.

All in all, I'd say it's a hack-saw gradiently frivolous appropriation of what is a perfectly valid opening and then summarising statement.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by Rumple_deWriter

Or maybe not so minor, if one takes into account the inversely proportional size of this site in comparison to those others.

All in all, I'd say it's a hack-saw gradiently frivolous appropriation of what is a perfectly valid opening and then summarising statement.

SAY WHAT!!!
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Hmmmm... THREADJACK seems to be a facilitating made-up term not yet recognized by Webster or others in those big books on a shelf with words in them. I've heard of hijack... hit the road jack... jack-of-all-trades... and jack-off... but threadjack is a new one. A thread is merely a smaller piece of a larger garment. You may start off with a single teather but end up with a king-size Indian blanket which seems to be the case here. We've serpentined from the Forum page to challenges to badges to parades to apple pie to heretics to finally threadjack. I like threadjack. It's a good word. I say we adopt it as our mascot. Can we get a Threadjack badge?
Primus Omnium
0 likes
The Urban Dictionary is a good source for the words the kids are using these days.

Threadjack

To take over the content of a message thread by changing the subject of discourse to a topic outside the purview of the original subject and/or forum, while maintaining the subject line. A form of amusement for trolls. Threadjacking is distinguished from flaming, as flames are a quasi-personal attack on a poster or on a poster's style of discourse, where threadjacking is deliberately steering the discussion off topic.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by Survivor
The Urban Dictionary is a good source for the words the kids are using these days.

Threadjack

To take over the content of a message thread by changing the subject of discourse to a topic outside the purview of the original subject and/or forum, while maintaining the subject line. A form of amusement for trolls. Threadjacking is distinguished from flaming, as flames are a quasi-personal attack on a poster or on a poster's style of discourse, where threadjacking is deliberately steering the discussion off topic.

I still want a Threadjack Badge.
Lurker
0 likes
Could the badge also have a toggle function?

Thread Jack On, and Thread Jack-Off?

A few of here may have earned it just for this thread alone.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Rumple_deWriter

I think I've done that already with Linda Ronstadt.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by Sherzahd

Never liked apple pie myself.

A heretic! A heretic!

I know some will say "I scream for Ice Cream"
but
I say open a bottle of Jameson and leave the the Ice Cream for a nice summer social!!

Please read my latest poem to honour all who have served

Bitch Called Nam

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/bitch-called-nam