Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Story Openings; the good, the bad, and the pitiful Options · View
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 4:33:19 PM

In an act of mind-boggling authorial hubris, I've posted a short 'Musing' wwith the title, "How To Be a Happy Hooker".

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/musings/how-to-be-a-happy-hooker-musings-on.aspx

It's a rumination on 'hooking' the reader's interest in a story's opening lines, honest.

We've had threads before about favorite opening lines, but that was long ago. Feel free to share any thoughts on the subject along with your favorite opening liness. Here's the link one more time:

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/musings/how-to-be-a-happy-hooker-musings-on.aspx

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 7:24:15 PM

“The day Somebody McSomebody put a gun to my breast and called me a cat and threatened to shoot me was the same day the milkman died.”

'Milkman,' by Anna Burns

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

gypsy
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 2:46:15 AM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:

“The day Somebody McSomebody put a gun to my breast and called me a cat and threatened to shoot me was the same day the milkman died.”

'Milkman,' by Anna Burns

Yes, that opening line is great! As is the book, which I had to force myself to read slowly, so that it would last longer.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

Wordpusher715
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 5:03:44 AM

"Ross Wakeman succeeded the first time he killed himself, but not the second or the third."

Jodi Picoult- Second Glances

I read this book because I read the opening sentence in a bookstore. Is there higher praise to be given to an opening line than to purchase the book?

I live, I love, I perform, and I lament.
Mendalla
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 10:29:18 AM

"Catherine Tekawitha, who are you?" - Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen.

While the novel isn't actually about Saint Kateri Tekakwitha (an indigenous woman who was beatified by John Paul II and canonized by Benedict XVI, but she was just a revered early indigenous Christian when Cohen wrote the novel), she's a recurring image/theme and the opening sets that up.

(I am currently reading The Favorite Game, his first novel, but it's in an omnibus edition with Beautiful Losers so I may re-read that novel as well).

Featured Story:
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery

Other works:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.
Spooky People - (Poetry) A playful verse for Hallowe'en.
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 1:41:53 PM

"In the heart of the city, Katarina Langsdorf was waking to the start of a new day, a special day, for today was her fifteenth birthday."

Well, I liked it. dontknow kekekegay

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana