Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Late Stan Lee Options · View
Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 9:23:21 AM
Mendalla

As has been widely reported in the news, Marvel comics founder/editor/writer/publisher Stan Lee passed away yesterday at 95. Lee, in collaboration with artists like Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko (who passed not long ago himself), created many of the characters who now grace the silver screen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. Spiderman, Iron Man, Thor, and so on. He also gave us the Fantastic Four and the company gave us the X-Men, though Lee wasn't personally involved in creating them IIRC.

Lee's style and sensibilities are engrained in Marvel and in the comics business in general. With the advent of the MCU, X-Men movies, various Spiderman series, they have spread well beyond comics.

I read comics mostly in the seventies and eighties and, yes, a lot of them were Marvel titles. Along with the Avengers, Captain America, Spiderman, the X-Men, and such, I also read their less traditional titles like Tomb of Dracula (horror but set in the same universe as the superhero titles) and their WWII military titles, most notably Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandoes (a very different Fury from the one we have today in some regards, though ultimately still a badass). And I watched some of the TV adaptations, notably the classic animated Spiderman from the late sixties with its catchy theme. So, Lee had a big impact on my imagination long before the modern era of blockbuster movies based on his titles and creations. And I've enjoyed seeing what various writers, directors, and actors have done with the stories on screen (so far, so good with the MCU but some of the others have been a mixed bag).

Anyone else have thoughts on Mr. Lee or his legacy? Any writers inspired by his work?