Remakes/reboots/reimaginings that SHOULD happen

last reply
20 replies
3.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Crazy old ape
0 likes
There's a lot of complaining about the number of remakes and reboots coming out of the film and TV industries these days. Some are interesting new takes on the original premise, some seem to have little to do with the original premise, some are just cash grabs that rehash the original premise. It's fairly easy to find people complaining that this or that remake should not have happened or should not happen.

Still, there always seems to be a few properties around that didn't get it right the first time or that can be reworked to fit a new era (e.g. A Star is Born, which has been remade 4 times in 4 different eras).

What remakes/reboots/reimaginings would you LIKE to see done?

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
One of the things I find most irritating is when remakes are made of TV shows or movies which were particularly good because of the era in which they were produced and the actors who populated them and made those characters their own.
The recent Dad's Army movie was a case in point.

That said, a good remake of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea could be worthwhile.

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Crazy old ape
0 likes
I've always thought Forbidden Planet could be redone with modern fx and a good cast. It's basically Shakespeare's The Tempest re-skinned as s-f so one could revisit that source material as well as the movie itself.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by fuzzy1954
What is your thought on this (Scott + Anna) A remake of the 1939 classic Drums Along the Mohawk?

Not familiar with that one. The IMDB description mentions "menaced by Indians and Tories" so I worry about how to be more culturally sensitive in the handling of indigenous people and the British instead of making them the "menace". Something less black and white.

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947.. Rex Harrison.. Gene Tierney)

Laura (1944.. Dana Andrews.. Gene Tierney)

Time Machine (1960.. Rod Taylor)

Sergeant York (1941.. Gary Cooper.. Walter Brennan)
Crazy old ape
0 likes
There's been a couple swings at the Time Machine since the George Pal one starring Taylor. Most recent was 2002 starring Guy Pearce but it wasn't especially faithful to the novel. Still, a good adaptation with modern fx would be welcome.

Flash Gordon. Not that the campy and silly but entertaining 1980 version doesn't have its merits, but a good, straight version would be welcome.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by fuzzy1954
What is your thought on this (Scott + Anna) A remake of the 1939 classic Drums Along the Mohawk?

Quote by Mendalla
Quote by fuzzy1954

Not familiar with that one. The IMDB description mentions "menaced by Indians and Tories" so I worry about how to be more culturally sensitive in the handling of indigenous people and the British instead of making them the "menace". Something less black and white.

I'm not familiar with it either but there has never been anything more menacing to the stability of the UK than this particular bunch of Tories!

Mind you, in all fairness, none of the others are any better.

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Lurker
0 likes
Goonies
0 likes
I don’t know how to make the boxes that quote others so I’ll have to do it this way! The gentleman above (Dreamcatcher) mentioned four movies. Time Machine had already been remade over and over again. The other one that caught my attention was one of my top ten favorites, The Ghost and Mrs, Muir! It’s a classic and should never ever be remade. How can you improve on perfection? That would be like remaking Casablanca without Humphrey Bogart.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by DancingintheRain
The other one that caught my attention was one of my top ten favorites, The Ghost and Mrs, Muir! It’s a classic and should never ever be remade. How can you improve on perfection?

OTOH, it is based on a novel and any movie based on a novel often misses elements of the novel or even the point of the novel, so a new version of the novel that incorporated material the old version skipped over might still be worthwhile. I haven't read the novel or seen the old version so can't say, just speaking from experience with other book to film adaptations.

One that's been talked about many times among s-f fans is Gerry Anderson's live action (vs. his usual puppets) Space 1999. Updating the show (Space 2049 or something) and fixing the premise (the moon blasted out of orbit by a nuclear explosion and somehow skipping through space fast enough to visit multiple systems, but slowly enough for adventures to happen in those systems) could result in a fairly good modern s-f show. I was thinking of having the explosion push the moon through a wormhole to another system, then have all the action happen in that system before they hit another wormhole. Basically visit a new system each season and do maybe 8 or 10 episode seasons.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla

One that's been talked about many times among s-f fans is Gerry Anderson's live action (vs. his usual puppets) Space 1999. Updating the show (Space 2049 or something) and fixing the premise (the moon blasted out of orbit by a nuclear explosion and somehow skipping through space fast enough to visit multiple systems, but slowly enough for adventures to happen in those systems) could result in a fairly good modern s-f show. I was thinking of having the explosion push the moon through a wormhole to another system, then have all the action happen in that system before they hit another wormhole. Basically visit a new system each season and do maybe 8 or 10 episode seasons.

Don't, for goodness sake, let Jonathan Frakes get his hands on it!!!

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing

LOL. Actually, he'd be one of the directors I would have in mind (probably not a regular cast member, though). There's a few Trek people I could see being involved. For instance, I could see Avery Brooks playing Commander Koenig (Martin Landau in the original) but the character is probably too similar to Benjamin Sisko, his Trek character. I have not watched much current Trek (Discovery, Picard) so maybe there's some people there I could use.

That said, I'd be overhauling the dramatis personae quite a bit, I suspect. I don't want to be straitjacketed by the past. There's no need for a character to be male or female in my version (or a given race) just because they were in the original.

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I don’t know how to make the boxes that quote others so I’ll have to do it this way! The gentleman above (Dreamcatcher) mentioned four movies. Time Machine had already been remade over and over again. The other one that caught my attention was one of my top ten favorites, The Ghost and Mrs, Muir! It’s a classic and should never ever be remade. How can you improve on perfection? That would be like remaking Casablanca without Humphrey Bogart.

Thanks for the quote. In my opinion, all of the movies I listed are classics. I'm a classic!

Yes, I am aware that The Time Machine has already been remade, but in my opinion very poorly. My hope is that with current technology and a better cast it could be remade properly. As far as The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, it has set the bar quite high. A remake would have to be of such quality that only the best Hollywood has to offer will do.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher

Yes, I am aware that The Time Machine has already been remade, but in my opinion very poorly. My hope is that with current technology and a better cast it could be remade properly.

Emphasis on the cast part. The fx is almost a no-brainer now. Also, a writer and director who respect the material and don't go overboard trying to make it "modern". The whole Eloi-Morlock story still largely works as is, for instance. The problem, of course, is that Wells is seminal to steampunk and the temptation for any period adaptation of Wells now will be to give it that aesthetic.

One scene that I don't think has been used in any adaptations is the one where he goes into the far future and sees weird lifeforms under a dying sun. It doesn't jibe with modern understandings of stellar evolution and the fate of the Earth, but it is a spectacular vision that would look great with the right people working on it.

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by Dreamcatcher

Yes, I am aware that The Time Machine has already been remade, but in my opinion very poorly. My hope is that with current technology and a better cast it could be remade properly.

Emphasis on the cast part. The fx is almost a no-brainer now. Also, a writer and director who respect the material and don't go overboard trying to make it "modern". The whole Eloi-Morlock story still largely works as is, for instance. The problem, of course, is that Wells is seminal to steampunk and the temptation for any period adaptation of Wells now will be to give it that aesthetic.

One scene that I don't think has been used in any adaptations is the one where he goes into the far future and sees weird lifeforms under a dying sun. It doesn't jibe with modern understandings of stellar evolution and the fate of the Earth, but it is a spectacular vision that would look great with the right people working on it.

Yes, it must stay a period piece. To modernize it would make it just another CGI waste of time. (See what I did there?)

Also, I agree there needs to be more focus on future travels. Maybe even some travel to the past where the butterfly effect comes into play.

Possible leads? Ed Norton. Brad Pitt. Tom Hardy.
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by AnnaMayZing

LOL. Actually, he'd be one of the directors I would have in mind (probably not a regular cast member, though). There's a few Trek people I could see being involved. For instance, I could see Avery Brooks playing Commander Koenig (Martin Landau in the original) but the character is probably too similar to Benjamin Sisko, his Trek character. I have not watched much current Trek (Discovery, Picard) so maybe there's some people there I could use.

That said, I'd be overhauling the dramatis personae quite a bit, I suspect. I don't want to be straitjacketed by the past. There's no need for a character to be male or female in my version (or a given race) just because they were in the original.

Did you see what Frakes did to Thunderbirds? It was bordering on criminal. The Ford sponsorship was so obvious it was like a ninety minute advert for Ford cars.
FAB1 was based on a Ford Thunderbird, an ATV had the biggest Ford badge I have ever seen and the so-called News report had Police vehicles arranged so that their Ford badges were clearly visible and featured one of just about every model in the Ford UK range on display. Even on the TV screen, the headline actually includes the words, 'Sponsored by Ford'.
You really need to see the film to appreciate what a bad choice Frakes would be for any Gerry Anderson project!

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
I don’t know how to make the boxes that quote others so I’ll have to do it this way!

At the top right corner of the post you wish to quote, there is a button marked 'Quote'. left click that and the effect is the same as the 'Post Reply' button but with that post quoted.
You then continue with what you wish to say after that.

Administration
0 likes
I was talking about this the other day. This movie is so good and the soundtrack is amazing, but the timing of its release and all the scandals surrounding it tainted it.
0 likes
Dirtier Harry... A comedy parody of the Dirty Harry movies. Someone should seriously do this because there are so many things ( Harry not doing things by the book, the one liners and such) that would work perfectly for a comedy.

Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun... A completely different version of the original film about the discovery of an earth like planet that is in the same orbit as earth, but on the opposite side of the sun. My version wouldn't be about earth, but an alien planet which has only now mastered space travel. Water has become scarce, so they send an unmanned vessel to the other planets in their orbit in the hopes of finding one with water. The vessel sends back transmissions, both the planets it has passed by and the ones it is approaching.

A live feed is broadcast in a school classroom as one of the students asks the teacher to point out their planet. He locates it, but realizes the planet is not where it should be. (I should point out, the teacher is shown teaching the students earlier about how their planet was at war for several years until it was decided cooperation and conservation by everyone was better than fighting over water which actually caused the problem to become worse. There was no longer a need for weapons and it is agreed that all would be destroyed. It was this cooperation between nations that enabled them to start their space program.) After comparing transmissions, they realize that this was another planet orbiting on the opposite side of the sun. This excites everyone as they know there is a good chance of finding water on a planet that is similar to theirs. They program the vessel to return (it's the only one they have) which will take a few months.

Upon it's return, they program it to find this other planet and transmit video from every corner. What they find is disturbing. Beings just like themselves are at war (apparently also over water) with weapons far more advanced than anything they had ever dreamed of. What's worse is that the vessel malfunctions and crashes on the planet. The fear now is that the other planet may find out about their existence and with it, the possibility of an invasion and no way to defend themselves.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
I noticed that Blacula is coming up for a remake. It was a vampire movie that came out of the blaxploitation scene in Hollywood in the seventies. Could be interesting if the update the plot (a black monarch from Africa is vampirized by Dracula centuries ago, then resurfaces in Harlem in the seventies). I can see it being for vampires what Black Panther was for superheroes if they do it right.

With the success of the Legendary Godzilla and Kong movies, perhaps someone should try to get Hollywood rights for Gamera. Gamera is not part of the "Godzilla-verse" but is a rival series from another Japanese studio. However, Legendary getting the rights to do a Hollywood remake of Gamera could open the door to Godzilla and Gamera finally meeting on screen (other than in fan-made videos on Youtube), assuming both Japanese rights holders were amenable.