Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 10:15:28 AM
Rumple_deWriter

Well, let me tell you, it's like this. I've just submitted a contest entry in the long form category. What with the proverbial one thing and another, it's been many moons since I submitted anything of any length. Chaulk it up to RL, depression, and the writer's block from hell. . What made everything even more 'interesting' was my having all new software featuring fiendishly depraved new features, along with tweaks to the Lush/Stories Space package

But it is now accomplished. Once I've recuperated from all the writerly trauma, I'll see if there's -a non-contest story or two anxiously waiting for some sort of approval. ;)
No doubt a mug of coffee and a handful of Sarah's cookies should speed up that process.

:Later, Inspirators.

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 2:31:29 PM
DenimAngel

Hi everyone
A chilly day in my neck of the woods it wont get very warm the high will be 35f
We got a little snow not much
So time for the first cup of Hot chocolate with marshmallows
Larry I bet Victor looked handsome in his red hoodie
I think Virginia is pretty but I'm partial to the New River Valley (Blacksburg and Christiansburg area)where I grew up.

I do have fresh cookies today
*moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies *
In Big Bird we have :maple walnut, cinnamon stars, oatmeal orange cookies and chocolate cherry delights
In Cookie Monster we have :chocolate cherry delights, apple cinnamon whippersnappers, honey drop cookies and ginger snaps
*giving the mascots fresh water and treats *
Stay warm and safe everyone

elizabethblack
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 5:51:15 PM
elizabethblack

DenimAngel wrote:
Hi everyone

I think Virginia is pretty but I'm partial to the New River Valley (Blacksburg and Christiansburg area)where I grew up.

In Big Bird we have :maple walnut, cinnamon stars, oatmeal orange cookies and chocolate cherry delights
In Cookie Monster we have :chocolate cherry delights, apple cinnamon whippersnappers, honey drop cookies and ginger snaps

You are so right about the beauty of the New River Valley - no wonder you grew up so sweet and pretty.
I know I never tell you how many of your cookies I eat every day. Come on, read what is going on and have such a hard time not taking one of everything. You do know you spoil us all.

I am so excited that Bill wrote a story and can't wait to read it. I love all his writing.

And Victor must have thought he was pretty sharp out in the snow with his red hoodie. Makes me smile.

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 3:16:49 AM
Rumple_deWriter

In the words of the psalmist, "I couldn't sleep at all last night." So instead of tossing and turning in bed, I slipped in here through the unlocked, as always, back door. There's now a fresh pot of coffee and a kettle full of hot water if tea is your thing. All that at the cost of a dent in the cookie supply.

On my way out I'm leaving an official pimp of my contest entry which Karen was kind enough to mention. BTW, so far, no commenter has mentioned being nauseated by reading, 'Commuting To An Unplanned Future'.Here's the link.

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/general/-commuting-to-an-unplanned-future-.aspx

Later, Inspirators

glasses8

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 4:15:10 AM
henrietta_fielding

Hello, everyone! Rumps, I loved your comp story. Great to read something from you and hope that pesky writer's block stays away!

Hello Elizabeth and Sara, I'm afraid my knowledge of geography is so poor that the areas you mentioned are just (very nice-sounding) words to me!

Here in Ireland, it's damp, grey and chilly. So that's us for the winter then!

I'll grab a handful of Sara's delicious cookies and a coffee to wake me up.
Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 6:11:04 AM
Survivor

It's nice to see both Cynthia and Bill up and about. Thanks for the coffee, Bill. There won't be much going outside today. There is still snow on the ground.

I have the five shortest contest entry categories written now. I'm going to see if I can get the five other longer stories written by the end of the month.

flower
Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 11:45:11 AM
Mendalla

Good afternoon. I have one story in each competition and may have to settle for that. I'll try to get a couple more Ultra Short or Flash stories in, but I'm not promising anything. Inspiration needs to strike.

My full length entry (in 2581 words category) is now up so please read and comment. It is horror so is also my Hallowe'en story for this year.

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/horror/-something-.aspx

Now, let's see what Sara left in the cookie jars while the kettle boils...

My "Cheers to 10 Years" competition entries;

My Temple - A poem (40 words)
The Goddess Dances - Flash fantasy (873 words) - Winner - Cheers to 10 Years Flash
Something - Short Horror (2581 words)
Musings of a Forgotten Deity - A poem (100 words)
itsxanderkaidyn
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 12:54:32 PM
itsxanderkaidyn

Head empty. No thoughts; only Jane. Aka how I forgot this place exists.

Somebody: You attract what you fear.
Me: I'm terrified of Jane Lynch.
DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 1:48:46 PM
DenimAngel

Hi peeps
A cold day here.. Woke up to snow on the ground (yuck)
A large coffee to warm me up.

*peeks in the cookie jars * still in good shape
I have written on paper a 3 short contest entries now gotta get them here
Giggles
I did hit a milestone on the other site yesterday.. I published my 100th piece of writing over there

I hope everyone is staying safe and warm!
Cookies make everything better!

Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 5:48:58 PM
Mendalla

DenimAngel wrote:

I have written on paper a 3 short contest entries now gotta get them here

Hurry up! Time's a wastin'!

Saw this on NASA's Twitter feed, one of three Halloween themed fake movie posters they put up. Thought it, esp. the tagline, kind of works with my Full Length entry.

The Goddess Dances - Flash fantasy (873 words) - Winner - Cheers to 10 Years Flash
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 8:18:46 AM
Rumple_deWriter

Happy Hump Day Here's your good news for the day. By the next Hump Day, the presidential election will have come and gone though the final scorecard may still be fought over. Hey, I said it was good, not great, news.

Coffee's cooking, the tea kettle is full of pure water and ready to do its duty. Me, I'm gonna fill my mug, grab a few cookies and hunker down in a warm corner (it's 45f) out here in the desert) to read more contest entries.

Later, Inspirators.

glasses8

Mendalla
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 8:23:55 AM
Mendalla

Trust me, we Canucks are eager to see the end of this election cycle, too. And, hopefully, the end of 45.

Sadly, I must attend a work meeting today even though I am technically on vacay. Hope its short and quiet but that's not really the nature of the meeting. * sighs and grabs a cookie *

DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 2:35:23 PM
DenimAngel

Hey people
A warm day here still chilly
A large coffee sounds good right about now
I have fresh cookies today
*moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies *
I made Halloween sugar cookies (diabetic friendly too)
Black cats, pumpkins, ghosts and candy corn
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *
Hope everyone has a good day!

Survivor
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 6:24:13 AM
Survivor

Good morning, dear friends. Gosh, it is so cold so early this year. I will wait and do my weekly shopping tomorrow. It is supposed to be warmer in the coming days.

I have fresh coffee brewing. Arabica for the coffee drinkers. The tea drinkers may choose from all the teas that Scott has on the shelves. And there are still lots of cookies just waiting to fill your hunger. Sara is so good about keeping us stocked, either on the countertop or in the backup tins in the back.

Aren't we having fun with this contest? I've got six stories finished so far. Other members are not far behind. Something for everyone's taste.

flower

Edit: I went into the contests and counted the entries. We now have 24 ultra-short entries, 12 flash entries, and 8 long entries. That is going to be a great chore for some wonderful judges to go through.
Mendalla
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 6:53:28 AM
Mendalla

Yeah, there was a real run of new stories yesterday, eh. I started a new story last night but not sure I'll get it done by Saturday so it may end up as a non-comp story. Was going to work on it today but got sucked into a problem at work. So much for vacation.

Oo, Hallowe'en cookies. I think I'll have a black cat and a pumpkin with my breakfast tea.

itsxanderkaidyn
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 9:22:42 AM
itsxanderkaidyn

...somebody followed my Janestagram (and yes, I really do have an IG devoted to her) and...well, idk what I was expecting, but now my body is full of butterflies and I forgot to get coffee cause they're also a Janestagram.

...and on another note, hey to anyone here. I'm getting coffee before I get distracted again.

DenimAngel
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 5:41:15 PM
DenimAngel

flower hi everyone
A beautiful day here
A late drop in today got away from me.
A large sweet tea sounds yummy
*peeking the cookie jars * still in good shape
Gotta make sure I keep lots of cookies around hello1
Hope everyone had a great day! grommit

Survivor
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2020 6:19:14 AM
Survivor

The coffee is brewing, never fear. Aren't we getting a lot of traffic on the site now? These contests are doing a nice job of stirring up some enthusiasm don't you think? Still, time to get in a story or two if you are waiting to enter.

This will be my shopping day today. The temperature is heating up slightly so it won't be too cold to get out and about.

Everyone, be careful out there.

flower
Mendalla
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2020 6:34:52 AM
Mendalla

Chilly here today with a chance of showers. Still might try to squeeze in a walk but we shall see how things shake out.

I think I shall leave my comp participation at the current three stories. My new story is going to be longer than I can get reasonably get done by tomorrow given my perfectionist approach to editing. Perhaps an idea for something in Ultra Short will come to me, though. Those I can do in a day or so based on experience writing micros for another site.

Tea time!

Mendalla
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2020 11:28:42 AM
Mendalla

Fine, I take that back. Right after I posted that, I came up with a 100 word poem and just entered it. So that's four now.

DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2020 3:38:22 PM
DenimAngel

flower hi everyone
A beautiful day here after a couple of cold days
A large iced coffee sounds yummy in the tummy

Working on contest entries I won't get all 10 done before the deadline but Im still gonna write them anyways. I have them all planned out so the follow thru would be good even though I'll miss the deadline.

I have fresh cookies today..
*moving the Halloween sugar cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter*
Today in Big Bird we have pumpkin cookies, pineapple coconut cookies, snow puffs and lemon ginger cookies
Today in Cookie Monster we have :pumpkin cookies, lemon ginger cookies, white chocolate supremes and golden raisin whippersnappers
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *
Have a great day everyone.

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 6:44:18 AM
Survivor

It is Halloween. Too bad there will be no trick or treaters out this year. Well, even last year we only had about three or four who stopped by. It is the tradition in our city for many folks, young and old, to get into costumes and parade up and down the main street of town while merchants hand out candy to the younger folks. Most of them do not go around in the neighborhoods on a good year. Well, especially none this year. And the tradition will not be followed, either.

What a shame.

The coffee is finished. The water is hot. Enjoy your mornings here in the coffee house.

flower
Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 7:16:24 AM
Mendalla

I think if I was going to a Halloween party tonight, I would put on a tux, slip a toy gun into a shoulder holster, and carry a gun-metal cigarette case (of candy cigarettes). Sir Sean Connery died at 90. One of my favorite actors of all time. So many great parts, even if he is still chiefly remembered for playing James Bond.

Hmmm. No martini ingredients here so I guess I will have a Scottish Breakfast tea in honour of Connery's beloved homeland (he was an ardent Scottish nationalist).

itsxanderkaidyn
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 10:12:35 AM
itsxanderkaidyn

Why isn't Halloween mistletoe a thing? Or, you know, some kind of equivalent?

DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 1:28:29 PM
DenimAngel

flower hi everyone
HAPPY HALLOWEEN
a large iced coffee
It was sad to hear about Sean Connery passing he was an amazing actor

*hangs Halloween decorations everywhere *
No trick or treating going on here as far as I know
I do have HALLOWEEN COOKIES
*moving old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies *
We have bats tombstones Frankenstein, devil pumpkins and coffins
*sits a plate of cookies on the counter *
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and Halloween treats that are pet friendly *
Stay safe everyone!

Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 1:39:53 PM
Mendalla

What do mad scientists drink their beer from? ... Frankensteins.

laughing2

Okay, that was kind of sad even for me. Nice-ish day here (for October 31). Went for a walk for my daily exercise. Saw some kids in their costumes and lots of Halloween decorations. You would barely know that COVID is happening, really.

itsxanderkaidyn wrote:
Why isn't Halloween mistletoe a thing? Or, you know, some kind of equivalent?

Kissing over the jack o'lantern? Kissing under the skeleton hanging in your tree (saw a few of those this afternoon)? You're right. Halloween needs a kissing tradition. Just need to decide what it should be.

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 1:50:59 PM
AnnaMayZing

Mendalla wrote:
Kissing over the jack o'lantern? Kissing under the skeleton hanging in your tree (saw a few of those this afternoon)? You're right. Halloween needs a kissing tradition. Just need to decide what it should be.

Maybe this is why kissing isn't a Halloween thing... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/flash-fiction/-the-night-.aspx hello2 read2

Hi Peeps. Wishing you all Happy Halloween! stirthepot

Here is something for Scott. I know he loves the classics! kekekegay

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/-the-nurses-.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 2:15:55 PM
Mendalla

AnnaMayZing wrote:

f-hihi

From my walk today:

Who knew there were undead unicorns? dontknow

itsxanderkaidyn
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 5:06:25 PM
itsxanderkaidyn

Mendalla wrote:

Yeah. Not that I actually need an excuse to kiss Jane, but yknow...if anyone asks.

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Sunday, November 1, 2020 4:40:22 AM
Rumple_deWriter

How y'all are? I was better until my LSU Tigers got whipped like the proverbial rented mule by Auburn. Sarah should be in a better mood since her Va Tech Hokies outscored Louisville.

On our own competition front, as of a few minutes ago, all three sections were still open. FWIW, the Flash category has 15 entries, the shorter than Flash category has 28, and the 'long' category has ten entries. IMO, those are impressive totals.

Coffee's on, water's hot. The rest is up to y'all.

Later, Inspirators.

glasses8