Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Mendalla
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 1:14:51 PM
Mendalla

verbal wrote:

Scot, I just bought my eldest a car, which she will pay me back for. It's nicer than my beat up mini-van! It's hard to watch your kids drive off like that. Parenthood is not for the faint of heart.

That's for sure. He's also dating a girl with some family issues and that's creating some stress, too, though things seem to be looking up on that front. Apparently she's finally told some family members he exists. On the upside, he's becoming a hell of a cook. I'd really be struggling with my weight if he moved back fulltime. Homemade chicken quesadillas for the win.

A day of meetings has ended. I don't care if I'm sitting at a table or in front of a webcam, I hate meetings. I understand the need for them, but there comes a point where every meeting outlives its usefulness.

Tea. Green. Lots.

My "Cheers to 10 Years" competition entries;

My Temple - A poem (40 words)
The Goddess Dances - Flash fantasy (873 words) - Winner - Cheers to 10 Years Flash
Something - Short Horror (2581 words)
Musings of a Forgotten Deity - A poem (100 words)
gillianleeza
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 1:37:42 PM
gillianleeza

Teaching three boys to drive, getting, and maintaining vehicles was a full-time job for a while. Thankfully their father taught them all the basics of car maintenance and some mechanical things. The boys have all excelled in taking care of their cars. They can do basics and much more now and have had to. The middle does all the work on his motorcycle and car and is rebuilding a 1969 Honda motorcycle with his dad. I can change my oil and replace brake pads but that's about it.

I was often terrified when they finally had their licenses and could drive alone. Thankfully they turned out to be good drivers with only a few fender benders and one speeding ticket between the three of them. I am enjoying them now as adults leading their own lives. Hopefully, the next life event will be a grandchild.

It's been a rainy dreary day here and that weather is going to stick around for a few more days. Thankfully after that, some fall weather should arrive.

I hope this week is treating everyone well.

Cheers!

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
DenimAngel
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 4:31:04 PM
DenimAngel

Hi peeps
A late drop in for me.. It is a beautiful day here.
Not much going on. Working on a story and hoping to get it finished tonight.
Not much else going on
Kids and driving always make the parents nervous..
But I do have fresh cookies
*moving the day old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars with fresh cookies to the tippy top *

In Big Bird we have pumpkin cookies, apple cinnamon whippersnappers, peanut butter and banana cookies and oatmeal raisin cookies
In Cookie Monster we have angel crunch cookies, apple cinnamon whippersnappers, peanut butter and banana cookies and molasses cookies
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *

Hope everyone is staying safe

Mendalla
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 5:35:19 AM
Mendalla

Scottish Breakfast tea and pumpkin cookies for breakfast? I am down with that.

Did not sleep well last night. Finally got up and read until past one. Yawn. This will not be a good day, me thinks, but we shall see. At least the weather is decent.

The Goddess Dances - Flash fantasy (873 words) - Winner - Cheers to 10 Years Flash
Survivor
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 6:28:18 AM
Survivor

Good morning. I got up earlier and made the coffee. Then I took my wife to the hospital. She's getting a spinal cord stimulator placed in her back to try and control pain. I'll go back and pick her up around noon when the operation is complete.

flower
Survivor
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 7:41:08 AM
Survivor

We are remembering this date in our history. Today is September 11, 2020. On 9/11 in 2001, the United States was attacked. Our allies around the world came together to help us at that time. That date must be remembered.
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 9:01:37 AM
henrietta_fielding

I've just caught up with the comp entries (those that came into my message inbox anyway) so thought I'd pop in here and catch up with everyone's news and grab a cuppa and some of Sara's wonderful cookies.

It's been a great comp with a wide range of excellent stories, which is great to see!
Mendalla
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 9:24:26 AM
Mendalla

It has, hasn't it? We need to do more here, I think. Livens things up and gets the creative juices flowing.

Getting noisy around here. Our local airshow is the only one in Canada going ahead this year so we've got the USAF Thunderbirds (which fly F-16s) and other assorted loud flying objects filling our skies. They are going with a "drive-in" format due to COVID. No ground displays and spectators sit in their cars in a parking lot at the airport, spaced out for social distancing. Domino's is delivering to the cars for people who want munchies to go with their high-powered jets. I haven't gone to the airshow since it was revived 3 or so years ago and I think I'll wait until it is back to a normal airshow. I enjoy ground displays where you can get up-close to the planes.

Adagio
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 11:35:07 AM
Adagio

I was inspired to see the turnout on the comp.
gillianleeza
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 11:46:09 AM
gillianleeza

The comp was a great idea and there are excellent entries. It's good to see people writing and reading more here.

Scott, when I was a child my dad was stationed at Nellis Air Force in Las Vegas, where the Thunderbirds are located. We used to go watch them practice on the weekends. So I am more partial to them than the Navy's Blue Angels. I always loved going to air shows. My father was a pilot and a lot of my family was in the military. I grew up all over.

We used to have our boat on the Patuxent River and would watch planes do practice landings and takeoffs on Fridays at the PAX River Naval base. It was cool to lie on the bow of the boat soaking up the sun and watching all the different planes come and go.

I'll grab a couple of cookies to go.

Happy Friday Everyone!

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 11:59:20 AM
DenimAngel

flower hi peeps
A chilly day here in my neck of the woods.
Hard to believe it's been 19 years since the terrorist attacks that changed lives in so many ways.
Not much going on got some writing done (yay)
In honor of Patriots Day here in the US I have red white blue sugar cookies

*cleaning out the emergency cookie tins and filling them with yesterday's cookies* those cookies that I cleaned out sure were yucky after sitting for so long. *filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies *

Hope everyone is having a great day
I'm excited to see who wins this competition there is so many excellent stories. hello1

Mendalla
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 12:50:54 PM
Mendalla

Our national aerobatic team, the Snowbirds, had a bad crash during a cross-country tour in the spring and weren't cleared to fly again in time to make the local show (at least I think that's why they are skipping it). Not as flashy as the T-birds or Angels (they fly 50 year-old jet trainers, not frontline fighters), but the pilots are pretty skilled and I always enjoy watching them.

gillianleeza wrote:

We used to have our boat on the Patuxent River and would watch planes do practice landings and takeoffs on Fridays at the PAX River Naval base. It was cool to lie on the bow of the boat soaking up the sun and watching all the different planes come and go.

Not quite as dramatic, but I remember the days when you could watch takeoffs and landings at commercial airports. I am a bit of a plane junkie but with terrible eyesight and poor coordination, there's no way I would ever be allowed in a cockpit so watching and riding in them is as close as I get.

Hard to believe we're almost at the 20th anniversary of 9/11. I was at work that morning and dealing with the usual morning rush (I was a one-man IT department serving two companies in those days) so had trouble following the news as it came in. As a result, I think I had a bit more time to digest it than some, but it was still a stunner. Happened almost 10 years to the day after I visited the WTC on a trip to New York with my future wife.

Survivor
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 1:25:42 PM
Survivor

The weeks after 9/11 occurred, I spent 8 hours every day standing guard at our national guard armory. That was the only time we were ever allowed to have live ammunition in our M16s except when on a firing range. We were not in "panic" mode but we surely were attentive.

One more memory in my pile of things I have seen and done. glasses8
elizabethblack
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 6:43:43 PM
elizabethblack

I love reading all the updates from lovely friends here. Seeing what the weather is doing. Being so thankful for all the kind birthday greetings I have received. Makes me feel very warm and special. I get messages from friends in California and Colorado with fires and sudden drops in temperatures that dropped 6" of snow in the Boulder area leaving half the city without electricity due to the snow bringing down massive amounts of trees on power lines. I always feel I must be in a special place in the country as disasters seem not to visit here. Perhaps being in a valley is a reason. Brother in Tucson is on his way to visit cooler climes with son and granddaughter. Then hope to have them on the east coast to visit here in October. Brother does not agree with our darling Rump about the wonder of hot temperatures. He is very happy he did away with the ancient swamp cooler and got good old real air conditioning this spring. Today is a very solemn memory for us all. My heart hurts with the remembrance.
Sara, darling one, your cookies are taken and enjoyed every day, I just don't let you know that I am part of the reason they disappear so fast. Thank you.

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 3:33:05 AM
henrietta_fielding

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, dear Elizabeth!

Yes, reading about the the extremes of weather makes me feel I should complain less about our temperate (and rainy!) conditions here.

I'll join Elizabeth with a coffee and a few of Sara's delicious cookies.
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 6:39:51 AM
Survivor

I'll make sure the coffee is fresh this morning. We've had our walk around the block. It definitely feels like Fall is here already.

It seems like there is nothing to do today. No contests to write stories for. Just relaxing and reading posts from other people.

flower
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 7:39:12 AM
Survivor

Good day, dear friends. I am already on my second cup of java. There is plenty more. Step up.

flower
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 3:58:47 PM
henrietta_fielding

Good evening, Larry! It's late here so I'll skip the coffee and have a lemon and ginger tea.

We're having quite a warm couple of days here. Summer at last! Briefly, anyway. I actually sat outside with a book for half an hour without getting blown away or rained on!

Hope everyone had a good Sunday.
DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 4:29:39 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 Hi peeps
A late drop in here . Today got away from me .
Yesterday was so busy that today is just a lazy laid-back kind of day

I have fresh sugar cookies today . They are shaped like monkeys, elephants lions, books, paw prints and butterflies
*moving the cookies from the cookie jars to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies *
Hope everyone is staying safe and sound!

etairay
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 5:32:14 PM
etairay

Kia Ora!

bunny hello1 bunny hello1 bunny

welcomes hello2 coffee

Remember ..be kind ..be supportive ..stay safe!
😂😃

Bring it in beautiful folks 2407_group_hug

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2020 2:15:28 AM
henrietta_fielding

Morning, Sara, thanks for the fresh batch of cookies! Morning, E, how nice to start off the week with positive thoughts.

It should be a warmish day here in sunny (well, overcast but not raining) Ireland, which is a pleasant change. I'll grab a cup of coffee and one of those cute cookies.

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week.
Survivor
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2020 6:27:57 AM
Survivor

Good day, Ladies. Hello, Cynthia and E. I've got a fresh pot of coffee brewing. The tea kettle is still on.

There was a slight chill in the air during my walk with Victor. But it feels like it will be quite warm later in the day.

Since we just closed a contest it is tradition now to start wondering when will the judging be completed. I'm doing that.

flower
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2020 10:35:20 AM
Rumple_deWriter

Morning, Larry. Hi ya doing, Vic? Coffee is a major goodness as are Sara's cookies. I'd pat Vic before heading outside but the last time I tried that he snatched a cookie from my very own fingerbones. ;) Later.

glasses8

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Mendalla
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2020 11:10:12 AM
Mendalla

Survivor wrote:

Since we just closed a contest it is tradition now to start wondering when will the judging be completed. I'm doing that.

Well, Molly's sig says September 16 (Wednesday) and who am I to question an admin's sig? Of course, there's always the question of which side of the International Date Line that refers to. dontknow In any case, I am looking forward to the big announcement.

For now, though, I shall distract myself with some tea and cookies.

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2020 5:04:16 PM
DenimAngel

flower hi peeps
A large iced coffee sounds yummy
Today got away from me. Trying to catch up on things.
I somehow lost my house key so been hunting for it all day with no success good thing my landlord had a spare I can use. Now to get a duplicate of my mailbox key (yipee).
My keys will turn up eventually I give up for the day.
I am excited to see who wins the competition!
*peeks In the cookie jars * good deal still in good shape
Hope everyone is staying safe and having a good evening grommit

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 3:41:09 AM
henrietta_fielding

Hope your keys turn up, Sara and thanks for the cookies! Glad your landlord had a spare set.

I'll grab a coffee before I organise myself to get out for an outdoor socially distanced line dancing class! It should be fun. :)
Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 6:29:46 AM
Survivor

Good morning, Cynthia. Dancing does sound fun. I haven't done that in so long.

I got up and around a little late this morning. So fresh coffee is just now perking and the tea kettle is on.

flower
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 7:27:22 AM
Rumple_deWriter

Morning, y'all. Curvy, best of luck with your dancing but be sure to warm-up your used less than usual muscles.

Larry, thanks for the coffee. It's gonna go so well with Sara's cookies. So how's by your 'better half'? Keep us posted. and we'll keep our fingers crossed. Later.

glasses8

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

verbal
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 10:13:39 AM
verbal

Well, my power just went out, so I can't work! They stopped by yesterday and said this would happen, for about an hour. Rhank God my phone has a mobile hotspot.

Not much else gojng on here. I may write. I may kick back and read and drink coffee.

I've been going for a 6,000-10,000 step walk every day for about a month now. It's really improved my life. I look forward to it. And as I get to think about what I plan to write while I walk, it helps my writing too.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 1:58:24 PM
Mendalla

verbal wrote:
Well, my power just went out, so I can't work! They stopped by yesterday and said this would happen, for about an hour. Rhank God my phone has a mobile hotspot.

I think the mobile hotspot has got to be one of the best features to hit smartphones since mail synchronization. Incredibly useful in a number of situations.

DenimAngel wrote:
Today got away from me.

Maybe it stole your key? evil4

COVID is back up here in Ontario. My area has had an outbreak on the local university campus. Fortunately, my wife, a prof at said university, is almost retired and not teaching this semester. OTOH, my son lives in the city that has been the second or third worst in Ontario for the past week or so. He has a little bubble going with his roommate, girlfriend, and biking buddy and doesn't socialize much outside that group so should be okay but you never know.

Chilly here, so need something hot. Kettle is on. Anyone else for tea, cocoa, or other non-coffee hot drinks?