Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 6:34:24 AM
Rumple_deWriter

Morning right back at ya, Mr. M. or should we rename you 'The Honda Honcho? Just a thought.

Coffee is officially being craved by deWriter type non-writer seeing as how my must is still on extended sabbatical or maybe just hiding out.

Weather-wise, out here in the desert this has been proclaimed the hottest summer on record with something like 50 days when the temp hit 110f (43.3c) That may explain my craving for a mug filled with scalding hot caffine. Of course some of Sara's cookies are mandatory.

Later, y'all.(sigh)

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Mendalla
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 8:53:01 AM
Mendalla

Survivor wrote:

As a fluke, I got a Plymouth Voyager in 1992 that I kept for over 20 years.

My max has been 11 years for my 2004 Civic (replaced it with the 2015 that Little M is getting). Even for Hondas, I'm finding a decade is enough, especially with the pace of change in auto technology right now. When I bought that 2015 Civic, I didn't even consider electric. Now, I'd probably test drive at least the Hyundai Kona EV and the Niro EV, its Kia counterpart.

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
should we rename you 'The Honda Honcho?

Well, besides liking Honda automobiles, a favorite film director of mine is Inoshiro Honda, who directed the original Gojira (Godzilla) and some other classics of that genre. So Honda Honcho kind of fits, I guess.

My "Cheers to 10 Years" competition entries;

My Temple - A poem (40 words)
The Goddess Dances - Flash fantasy (873 words) - Winner - Cheers to 10 Years Flash
Something - Short Horror (2581 words)
Musings of a Forgotten Deity - A poem (100 words)
DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 12:18:24 PM
DenimAngel

flower hi everyone
A beautiful day here. The birdies are chirping and butterflies are still around
A large iced coffee sounds yummy
Not much going on here. I got a poem written just have to hit the submit button I'ver on the other side.
It might make an appearance here too with a little tweaking.

I have fun sugar cookies today. My grandson had a birthday recently so in honor of that we have cookies shaped like cars, dinosaurs, cats and dogs
*moving the cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies *
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *
Stay safe everyone! hello2

gillianleeza
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 2:16:03 PM
gillianleeza

This summer has been a hot one all around the map. It's the first summer that I found it too hot to be out on our boat. The hot temps warmed the bay to a perfect temp for that scourge known as jellyfish.

We did get out last week on a cooler day and it was nice, no swimming, which irritated me. I know, I complain a lot, it's my forte.

Friends went fishing today and reported they did not see any jellyfish and the bay had cooled off to eighty degrees, down from ninety.

Hopefully this weekend we can get out on the water. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous.

I'll have a few of your cookies, Sarah, thank you.

I'm back to making stuff. I'll leave some lemon-lime sorbet and watermelon sorbet in the fridge. Help yourselves.

Cheers Everyone!

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
Mendalla
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 6:22:51 PM
Mendalla

I watched a documentary on jellyfish a few years back that suggested their populations seemed to be exploding, so I imagine you're not the only ones struggling with them. I will say they make a nice salad though (seriously, one of those weird dishes I learned from my Chinese wife). Not sure what species they eat, but they are salted which maybe kills the nematocysts (stinging cells).

Sorbet and dinosaur cookies sounds yummy. And a ginger-lemon herbal tea since bedtime looms.

The Goddess Dances - Flash fantasy (873 words) - Winner - Cheers to 10 Years Flash
Survivor
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 6:35:59 AM
Survivor

In Galveston some years ago I saw an Asian family gathering jellies along the beaches after they had been washed up by a storm. They are pretty creatures but I have strong doubts I will ever try them in a meal.

This morning's coffee is ready. The tea kettle is there for the tea drinkers.

Have a good day, folks.

flower
Mendalla
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 8:00:22 AM
Mendalla

Survivor wrote:

They are pretty creatures but I have strong doubts I will ever try them in a meal.

The Chinese are very adventurous eaters, I find. Jellyfish aren't even the weirdest thing I have eaten. Look up "sea cucumber". drunken

Tea and cookies time. Nice, if windy, day out there. Got some groceries, now plugging away at work stuff.

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 11:56:33 AM
Rumple_deWriter

Afternoon, evening and/or night depending on your time zone. I'm in agreement with Larry about jellyfish being something I'll pass on that is unless Ms Mendalla does the preparation and somebody else is paying for the beer. ;)

What I'm not gonna pass on is Gil's goodies and a judicious sampling of Sara's cookies. A cup of coffee to accompany them would seem to be in order.

It's noon out here in the desert and the temp just hit 100f. Me, I'm loving this cool snap. Later.

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

DenimAngel
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 12:48:39 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 Hi peeps
A beautiful day here just a relaxing day.
Took a walk earlier and it was so nice outside . Saw birds and butterflies

I've got a new poem here and of course Tank's adventure.
I need to read all the competition stories.
Good to see everyone here.
*peeks in the cookie jars * still in good shape
Stay safe everyonehello1

verbal
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 3:12:09 PM
verbal

Hey Sara! Hey Scott! Hey Bill!

Been awhile. I'd love a coffee.

Sara, I just submitted the first half of a story here, and it's the one I used your name for! If they post it I will let you know. Yay for tanks the Turtle!

The contest looks cool. I may enter. I'll def check out all the entries!

Enjoy your day everyone!
Survivor
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2020 1:30:36 PM
Survivor

I didn't get a message out this morning but I did get the coffee brewed. Hope there was enough for everyone. The weekend will start soon.

Jeff's new story is a winner for sure. But you'll all see that soon. I'm sure he'll get a quick 500-word story done for the contest.

flower
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2020 1:37:17 PM
AnnaMayZing

Good evening, Folks.hello2

Just dropped in to let you all know that I shall be away for a couple of weeks. Going on holiday, don't ya know! f-hihi

Would normally go to Europe but Covid has scuppered those plans and so we are going to the South West of England instead.

Still, it is a beautiful area.

I believe that WiFi is scarce in those parts so have fun and don't miss me too much.

Elizabeth, have a wonderful Birthday, next week.

Good luck to all of you who have entries in the competition.

Take care, have fun and see you all when I get back. hello2

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/-the-nurses-.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2020 5:18:29 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 hi peeps
A beautiful day here.
A late drop in today.. A large iced coffee sounds yummy
Not much going on today just got away from me

I made sugar cookies shaped like hearts and stars and butterflies and flamingos today
*moving the cookies to the emergency cookie tins and filling the cookie jars with fresh cookies to the tippy top *

Anna enjoy your holiday!
Good to see everyone
Stay safe

DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 12:10:47 PM
DenimAngel

Hi peeps
Looks like I'm the first in today.
Looking at the coffee maker .. *puts in some of the good coffee hiding behind the counter and water letting it perk *
*puts the tea kettle on *
Yay coffee looks ready so. A large iced coffee and some cookies from yesterday. *peeking in the cookie jars* no cookie bandits today
*gives the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *
Hope everyone is staying safe and having a great weekend. Happy Labor Day weekend to those of us in the States hello2

Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 12:29:41 PM
Mendalla

Happy Labour Day to you as well! It is also a holiday in Canada. Weather is a bit meh today with grey skies and occasional showers but supposed to be better tomorrow.

Tea and cookies time! And looks like I have lots of selection in the latter. Butterflies and flamingoes sound like fun.

Survivor
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2020 6:07:59 AM
Survivor

Good morning. The coffee is brewing and the tea kettle is on. We are starting a week of nicely cool temperatures. It will be in the 60F/15C degree range during the day for about 5 days.

Let's try to enjoy ourselves safely.

flower
DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2020 11:55:45 AM
DenimAngel

hello2 hi everyone
A beautiful day here A large iced coffee sounds yummy .. Avoiding cleaning out the fridge. Gotta make room for the shopping trip coming up. Gotta make my grocery list too
Not much else going on today need to finish the rest of the competition stories here today
I have fresh cookies today.. *moving the leftover cookies to the emergency cookie tins and fills the cookie jars to the tippy top *
In Big Bird we have : peanut butter and banana cookies, orange cookies, fudgy chocolate cookies and snickerdoodles
In Cookie Monster we have : airy berry cookies, almond kisses, blackberry cookies and pecan divines

*giving the adorable mascots fresh cold water and treats *
Hope everyone is staying safe and having a great day grommit

Survivor
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2020 7:00:53 AM
Survivor

Good morning. I'm moving slower today and just now getting the coffee ready. The water will be heated when needed by tea drinkers.

Labor Day today. I have not been a "laborer" for many years. The last time I had a paying job was in 2005. But I'll still celebrate the day.

flower
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2020 7:15:51 AM
Rumple_deWriter

Morning, y'all. Instead of inflicting my usual mindless moanings on everyone, thought I'd copy and paste this note I just got (about five minutes ago) from our Survivor.

Today is the last day of the story writing competition. I'd like to remind everyone that all the entries must have at least 10 votes to be eligible for the contest. I can see that the last entry may not have enough. This story:

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/flash-fiction/-folds-.aspx

If some folks could vote on it today it will be entered. Just a thought.

Thanks.

Me, I'm on my way. (sure hope I don't spill any coffee or (gasp) drop one of Sara's cookies)

glasses8

Mendalla
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2020 7:47:40 AM
Mendalla

I would like to point that nowhere in the comp or comp rules page on this site is that explicitly stated so I do not think we can assume that is the rule here as it is somewhere else unless someone can find something I am missing. The new entry deserves to be read and, to be honest, absent an explicit rule about the 10 votes thing, I hope it is allowed to advance regardless of votes.

gillianleeza
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2020 9:37:21 AM
gillianleeza

I don't think that ten votes are the rule here either. It would be unfair I believe to use that criteria, but I am not the official word on that. I'll wait for Molly or Maggie to confirm.

It has been a gorgeous Labor Day weekend here in Northern Virginia. I feel less like a depressed sloth and more human this weekend. Made it out on our boat yesterday for a wonderful day of boating, fishing, reading, swimming, eating, and enjoying being out of the house and away from current events and the stress that comes with all that.

We're making dinner, of smoked baby back ribs, German potato salad, pasta salad with watermelon sorbet, and fresh fruit for dessert.

I hope the weekend has been good for everyone.

Cheers!

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2020 4:03:30 PM
DenimAngel

hello2 hi peeps
A beautiful day here. Today got away from me .
A late drop in.. Catching up on the competition stories.
*peekin in the cookie jars *still In good shape
Birthday cookies tomorrow for Elizabeth
Peeked at the contest thread looks like each story has a chance no matter the views and votes.
Hope everyone has a great evening hello1

verbal
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2020 6:56:58 PM
verbal

Hello all. I'd love a cup of decaf.

Thanks to everyone who voted on my very last second entry. I didn't know the deadline was today until today. So I looked at the contest words, and sat down and wrote the story in one sitting, which I NEVER do. It was fun. I'm about halfway through reading the other entries. Lotsa good stories in there. Good luck everyone.

It's very smoky and weird here right now, from the fires. The sun went down red. And a cold front is coming in that's bringing heavy winds, followed by snow. Feels very apocalypse-y out.

Hope everyone had a pleasant Labor Day weekend.
Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 5:57:14 AM
Survivor

Making a fresh pot of coffee. The weather is quite cool. It looks like we will be in the 60F/15C degree zone for the next few days. Then perhaps just up into the 80s once again.

flower
Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 9:23:20 AM
Mendalla

Rather Fall-ish here today. Was out shopping and definitely a chill in the air to go with the showers we are getting.

Son has gone back to Ottawa with *sob* my car. He's been told to keep it in one piece, at least until we actually transfer the ownership. Right now, I still officially own it and it is on my insurance (they know and are good with it). I can't really imagine driving all the way from London to Ottawa in a compact like a Civic (5 1/2 to 7 hours depending on traffic, weather, route, etc.) but he seems to have managed. Then again, I drove from Halifax to Hamilton, a three day drive, in a Pontiac Firefly. Probably what killed the little thing's engine, but I pulled it off.

Time for my midday tea and some lunch, me thinks.

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 11:36:24 AM
DenimAngel

flower Hi peeps
A beautiful day here even if it's windy
A large iced coffee sounds yummy
Went for a walk this morning and it was beautiful

Not much going on here plan on finishing the competition stories today even though the deadline has passed.

*moving the day old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with BIRTHDAY COOKIES*
They are diabetic friendly too.

*giving fresh water and treats to the adorable mascots *
Hope everyone is having a great day
Stay safe hello2

Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 1:24:36 PM
Mendalla

Birthday cookies! Now who could those be for, I wonder? Might her name begin with "E"? dontknow drunken

Anyhow. I shall take a couple with my afternoon tea.

Weather is looking nicer here after a rather grey day. Brighter at any rate.

DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 1:00:42 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 hi peeps
*staring at the coffee pot then puts water and coffee in the right spots* hmm
*crossing my fingers as I hope I did it right*
Yay coffee
An iced coffee sounds yummy in the tummy right about now.

*peeks in the cookie jars * all good there.
Not much going on here today just a lazy laid-back kind of day and maybe some writing

Stay safe everyone grommit

Survivor
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 7:14:16 AM
Survivor

The coffee is pretty tasty this morning. Please have a cup.

It's rainy today and will be for the next couple of days. Unseasonably cool for September. Victor was brave enough to go out and get a little damp.

flower
verbal
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 11:56:19 AM
verbal

Hope everybody is having an excellent day.

Hi Larry, hi Sara, hi Scott!

Scot, I just bought my eldest a car, which she will pay me back for. It's nicer than my beat up mini-van! It's hard to watch your kids drive off like that. Parenthood is not for the faint of heart.

All the snow has melted off here. Drizzly day, which doesn't really bother me. No Mets game today, which does.

A coffee, lotsa milk, no sugar, would be swell.