Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Survivor
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 8:22:54 AM
Survivor

We are all up and around early today. I am on my second cup of coffee and rain has moved in. We don't really need any. The ground is saturated.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.

Here's my latest story you might enjoy.

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/-into-the-night-.aspx

Here's a story Series I created that is called The Education of Mindy. This is the first story.

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/flash-fiction/-mindy-learns-part-one-.aspx
gypsy
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 11:06:48 AM
gypsy

32nd day of being in lockdown here in France.

According to europe1, https://www.europe1.fr/sante/en-direct-coronavirus-suivez-levolution-de-la-situation-vendredi-17-avril-3962461, 17,290 people have died since the 17th of March to today, the 17th of April.

My department has been relatively unscathed, but not spared.

The university and faculty of medicine and hospital in my city is essential for us but also for the department and outlying areas.

The numbers, the 17,290 people dead just here in France.

Not numbers, not statistics, individuals with names, histories and loved ones.

All those numbers of the dead are names, histories, lives lived and lost, loved ones left bereft and mourning, some of them also ill. I am not referring only to my patch, here in France. I am talking about the deaths world wide, the ongoing losses.

The numbers merely represent the count of the dead. They are manifest individuals, with names, lives, loved ones.

The reality is devastating. The devastation is not close to being done.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 2:47:39 PM
henrietta_fielding

Evening all! It's been a while since I've had the chance to pop in here. Glad to see everyone is doing okay.

Things are not too bad here, with the fatality rate well below the expected level so far. Any loss is appalling, of course, but at the same time, the stats are encouraging in this first 'wave'.

Hearing all sorts about people reporting on their neighbours if they go out more than once a day (net curtain twitching must be an full-time hobby!) And I can hear the police helicopter hovering over the bay to monitor anyone sneaking into the sea!

On a positive front, wildlife is flourishing, with oysters that haven't been thrived in Belfast Lough for over 100 years happily multiplying.

A ginger and lemon tea would be nice, with one of Sara's cookies if there are any left!
DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 3:59:56 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 howdy folks
A beautiful day here. A busy day but it was fun. I went out with my friend Dodie and got some shopping done and picked up a couple of fun things... pens a thing of purple yawn for crocheting and new MINNIE Mouse shopping bag and a new cook book.

I do have cookies !
In Big Bird we have : snow puffs, confetti blizzard whippersnappers and pumpkin cookies
In Cookie Monster we have : snowflake and ice cookies, confetti blizzard whippersnappers and ginger snaps
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *
I hope everyone tried to enjoy their day
Keep the faith peeps

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 4:21:09 AM
henrietta_fielding

Glad you got some fun things while shopping, Sara!

I'll grab a coffee and a few of those delicious-sounding cookies. It would be rude hot to!
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 7:28:00 AM
Survivor

Today I'll be doing some proofreading for friends. After I have some of the coffee here in the coffee house.

It looks to be a lovely day today. Nice enough for some walking in the park I think.

Have a grand day, ladies.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.

Here's a story Series I created that is called The Education of Mindy. This is the first story.

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 4:27:04 PM
henrietta_fielding

It's been lovely here today too, Larry. Bright sunshine, but still a bit on the chilly side. Lovely to look out at though! Hope you've had a pleasant day

I'll snag a lemon and ginger tea.
DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 4:51:55 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 howdy folks
A quiet day here. A large hot chocolate sounds good right about now. So pretty outside even if the wind is blowing a little
Working on some writing almost have a new Scamp Adventure all tied up with a pretty pink bow
Started a story that ended up a poem (go figure). Need to tidy it up before submitting then I need to get a story written for the other site

I do have cookies even though it's a late drop in.
*cleaning out the crumbs in the cookie jars *i think we have some cookie bandits
In Big Bird we have carrot cake with little carrots on the frosting.butterscotch marshmallow bars and butterscotch crunch cookies
In Cookie Monster we have :almond kisses, butterscotch marshmallow bar cookies and butterscotch crunch cookies

Good to see everyone!

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 4:32:37 AM
henrietta_fielding

Morning, Sara!

Will look forward to your poem and the latest Scamp story!
(hugs)

Am gearing up to doing the cleaning and getting the washing off the line and the next lot hung up. Oh, the glamour!

I'll grab a coffee and a slice of that gorgeous-sounding carrot cake to get me motivated!
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 6:09:48 AM
Survivor

Good morning, Cynthia.

I love the smell of coffee brewing in the morning. My wife dislikes it. She much prefers her tea for which she just boiled water.

Victor has been walked so now it is time for an early morning rest.

flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 7:58:11 AM
Rumple_deWriter

So how's by y'all? Cyn, love ya. I mean to say, you are a real human being -- among many other complimentary things BUT if you've taken all of Sara's carrot cake, we are heading for a 'Come to Jesus' meeting. ;)

Larry, that Vic is a great example of how to deal with stressful situations, imo.

BTW, down-right drinkable coffee. Many thanks. Oh,joy unto the world, there is carrot cake to go with it. :)

glasses8

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 2:06:27 PM
DenimAngel

flower howdy peeps
I hope everyone is doing well . A large sweet tea sounds great.
A quiet day here and the sun is shining and birds chirping

Larry Victor is a champion napper.

Bill I had to laugh out loud at the "Come to Jesus "meeting I haven't heard that phrase in years I had a boss when I was working fast food who would use that phrase for meetings before the district manager would show up. How's pretty miss GG?

Hi Cynthia I think you will enjoy scamps adventure. I hope laundry day was fun.
I have cookies and made another carrot cake with pretty little carrots on top for dessert in here

In Cookie Monster we have :apple cinnamon whippersnappers, banana chocolate chip cookies and molasses cookies
In Big Bird we have : oatmeal raisin, apple cinnamon whippersnappers and , banana chocolate chip cookies
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and fun treats *
BE SAFE !hello1

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 3:01:56 PM
henrietta_fielding

I wouldn't dare take all the carrot cake, Bill! ;)

And Larry, Victor surely knows how to live (and nap.)

I'm sorry to say being from the Old World, the 'come to Jesus meeting' areference went right over my head. Could someone explain to this old timer?

Sara, I know I'll love Scamp's new adventure. :)

And I'll snag one of those banana chocolate chip cookies to go with my lemon and ginger tea and leave the cake for Bill - or I'll be in trouble!
elizabethblack
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 5:14:39 PM
elizabethblack

Cyn....
*Outside religious contexts, come to Jesus refers to a meeting or moment where one undergoes a difficult but positive and powerful realization or change in character or behavior.
*The definition according Jargondatabase.com: "Come To Jesus Meeting" "A time when a polite ultimatum is given, generally followed by a less polite ultimatum, then a threat. Drug and alcohol "interventions" are often referred to as "Come to Jesus Meetings"."
*The phrase evidently emerges from 19th-century Christian revivalism, which pushed for personal conversion to Christianity—to turn away from the devil and save their souls by coming to Jesus. In the early 1900s, come to Jesus described the clothing worn by these preachers (e.g., a come-to-Jesus collar).
*They better have a come to Jesus meeting in the locker room cause this is not working out
*By the 1970s, the expression had become a metaphor for a transformative meeting or moment—like a hard talk, a wake-up call, facing the facts, an intervention, seeing the light.

DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 6:04:56 PM
DenimAngel

elizabethblack wrote:
Cyn....
*Outside religious contexts, come to Jesus refers to a meeting or moment where one undergoes a difficult but positive and powerful realization or change in character or behavior.
*The definition according Jargondatabase.com: "Come To Jesus Meeting" "A time when a polite ultimatum is given, generally followed by a less polite ultimatum, then a threat. Drug and alcohol "interventions" are often referred to as "Come to Jesus Meetings"."
*The phrase evidently emerges from 19th-century Christian revivalism, which pushed for personal conversion to Christianity—to turn away from the devil and save their souls by coming to Jesus. In the early 1900s, come to Jesus described the clothing worn by these preachers (e.g., a come-to-Jesus collar).
*They better have a come to Jesus meeting in the locker room cause this is not working out
*By the 1970s, the expression had become a metaphor for a transformative meeting or moment—like a hard talk, a wake-up call, facing the facts, an intervention, seeing the light.

Hi hi Elizabeth thank you for explaining that to Cyn I didn't think to add an explanation :)

gypsy
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 6:36:39 AM
gypsy

The dancers of the Paris Opera offer a 4 minute video made by video conferencing.

Grab some refreshment, get comfortable, and be transported elsewhere.

Culture Is Not Cancelled!!!

There's a box of tissues handy if need be.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

Survivor
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 7:54:38 AM
Survivor

Thanks so much, Gypsy. Great dancers simply having fun at home. It's what they do. Our arts center (including its school of ballet) is closed for the troubles. But they have let us know that our memberships are extended for three months. I am a member now until March of 2021.

With my own personal little troubles I had to give up ballet lessons in December. I don't know if I can ever get my body back into shape.

Anyway, it's time for some more coffee. I am having my second cup at this moment.

flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 9:35:46 AM
Rumple_deWriter

Well, my 'really big' news is the slight alteration on my sig line. (Larry's taco tag inspired me, so to speak) ;)

Good coffee - great carrot cake. ;)

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

gypsy
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 10:26:25 AM
gypsy

Larry, glad you liked it.

But in fact it is far from great dancers just doing what they love from home.

It is an incredibly sophisticated, choreographed performance of professionals exercising their profession in order to keep themselves disciplined, sane, alive and optimistic. It is also quite interesting and adds depth to this work, that it is performed against the score for Romeo & Juliet, of Dimitri Shostakovich. Watch it again and consider the music and the story line, juxtaposed with the choreography and shifting scenes.

The director of this is a renowned French film maker.

My entire professional working life has been in the arts - I know so well what this represents, and how essential it is for the performers to maintain their discipline and physical levels of excellence.

It is also essential because art is not performed or presented in a vacuum, whether it is dance, music, writing, etc. Art is an interchange between the artist-creator and the audience, no matter what the medium.

As I said, culture is not cancelled. Arts and culture are as necessary as ever, in fact, even more so, in this time of world wide pandemic.

I'm glad that the arts community in your area is forging ahead, best of luck to them, and all artists in these times.

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 1:07:02 PM
DenimAngel

flower Howdy folks
A quiet Monday here. The weather is just lovely. Birdies are chirping their pretty songs
A large sweet tea sounds good right now.
I'm hoping to get some writing done today.

I think ballet is beautiful!
Hope everyone is having a great day and just trying to make the best of this situation .
Pizza and tacos two of my favorite things.
I have cookies :
In Big Bird we have coconut macaroons, blueberry crunch cookies, Blackberry cookies and peanut butter -cranberry cookies
In Cookie Monster we have :peaches and cream cookies, blueberry crunch cookies, blackberry cookies and cheery cherry cookies

Do something that makes you smile today geek

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 3:00:37 PM
henrietta_fielding

elizabethblack wrote:
Cyn....

Elizabeth, thank you so much for taking to time to explain and add the definitions too. As Bill would say, you are a keeper! :flowers

We had 19th century Revivalists in the family, but maybe their version of 'Come to Jesus' was in Welsh!

Gypsy, the dancing was wonderful and Bill, am loving the new sig line.

Hello, Larry! *waves* And Sara, maybe I'll snag a cheery cherry cookie to go with my lemon and ginger tea.

Mendalla
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 6:26:45 PM
Mendalla

Latest virus news here is that Ontario's new model shows that things have peaked in terms of the broader community, but the situation in long-term care facilities (aka nursing homes) is not so hot. Still curving upwards. Which, sadly, appears to be the case in Quebec as well. So, things are looking up save that there needs to be a real effort in that sector.

On top of all the Covid trials and tribulations, Canada had its worst mass shooting in history over the weekend in Nova Scotia, which is really the last place I would have expected to see something like that happen (my beloved spouse lived there for 2 years just before becoming Mrs. Mendalla so I know the place a bit). 19 dead, possibly more still to be found. Shooter was eventually taken out by the RCMP (they got their man as always) but not before he took killed a 23-year veteran Mountie who was a mother of two and wounded another Mountie. Info on other victims is still coming out but we've got teachers, nurses, a family of three whose lockdown kitchen parties had gone viral on Facebook, and God knows what else. The last time we had a shooting of this scale, 1989, I had just graduated from my Masters program and started my first career.

Okay, enough glum news from North of the border. Anyone got some nice kitten videos or something to raise the mood?

I shall join the one above me in a lemon ginger tea.

My latest, here for your enjoyment:

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 4:56:49 AM
Rumple_deWriter

The inspirational coffee pot has been rinsed and filled with fresh water and some sort of coffee Scott hhad tucked away under the counter.

Those in need of some sort of condo-mints might want to check out the far right end of the counter. If that doesn't work, try the far left end. If neither one leads to success, then drink it black. ;)

Many thanks to Elizabeth for the kind comment she left on the years old micro-fiction story in my sig line.

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 6:43:48 AM
Survivor

Good morning, Bill. I noticed that right below Elizabeth's comment on your old story I had left a comment of my own.

Thanks for the great coffee. I'll have a sip when it cools a bit.

I think it may be warm enough today that I might be forced to actually go out and do some gardening.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:18:42 AM
DenimAngel

Howdy folks
A large coffee. In running so behind this morning and my friend is gonna be here in 15 minutes she has errands to run in ShowLow which is an hour away and didn't want to go by herself ... Yay Starbucks and maybe lunch (ke)
I do have cookies : I think sugar cookies and diabetic friendly sugar cookies shaped like puppies and kitties and paw prints is called for today. They would make anyone happy and smile.
It's nice to see everyone.
Scott that is such sad news my heart goes out to the victims families.
So many tragedies seem to be linked to the month of April.

Happy animal videos to cheer up Scott.

https://youtu.be/ngA26xneY-k <<<<<happy kittens

https://youtu.be/Dpahtm6oJ28<<<<happy puppies

Stay safe everyone!

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 4:15:20 AM
Rumple_deWriter

There's coffee that's both hot and wet just waiting to be consumed along with hot water for the tea and coco crowd. As a special treat, in addition to Sara's cookies, someone dropped off a box filled with a variety of doughnut holes from the, Day or Two Old Bakery. Yummy. ;)

Here's hoping we all have a humping good Earth Day. (slurp)

glasses8

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 6:13:55 AM
Survivor

It's good to smell the coffee. I'm ready for it.

My wife gets to play with Zoom today. She and I will try it out before the appointment she has. It should go well if I remember to take the tape off of the camera lens here on the laptop.

flower

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 11:52:23 AM
AnnaMayZing

For Earth Day I think that this video is perfect. The words of Carl Sagen are inspiring and thought provoking. The video itself is wonderful. I also love the music by Nightwish but that probably won't surprise any of you.
Please watch it and I hope that it moves you as much as it does me.

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/-the-nurses-.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 1:43:48 PM
DenimAngel

Howdy folks
A quiet day here for the most part.
A large tea would be great. I got some things done this morning and helped my friend move a big old recliner and of course my toes got in the way when we set it down so my toe hurts but it's not broken.

I have cookies shaped like the earth and continents for earth day the are green and blue frosting sugar cookies and they are diabetic friendly too.
*filling the earth shaped cookie jar that I found just for earth day *
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and earth day treats that are pet friendly *

Oh my goodness there are so many different cookie jars available online!
Have a good day everyone and stay safe!

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 1:53:46 PM
Survivor