Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 4:00:47 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
Hi Everyone.hello2
Well, here's an unexpected twist.
Since January, we have been going through the process of selling my mum's house after she passed away last December. Today, the solicitor emailed to say that the contracts are ready to sign and I can't go over to remove the last of her furniture and final effects. Goodness knows how on earth I am going to sort this one out. The UK is in lockdown so I can't safely rent a van or get together with other family members.
Oh well, I suppose it will work out one way or another... dontknow

In the meantime, several cups of strong coffee. coffee

Good to hear that you are all generally managing okay.

On a lighter note, My Dentist has cancelled on me. Can't say I'm too disappointed. kekekegay

Carrying on regardless.

Aww that sucks I hope the solicitor works with you to get your mum's things since everyone is on lockdown.

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:19:46 PM

There is a very interesting article on the 1918 Flu pandemic in the Kansas City Star. You can find it at KansasCity.com in the March 18th edition. I think the title of the article is Flu.

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 4:33:27 AM

Coffee's on. That's the good news. The bad news is I'm responsible for the product. Sip it at your own risk. ;)

Later, lockdowners.

glasses8

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Survivor
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:18:46 AM

Good morning, folks. I am ready for the coffee. Any tea drinkers, help yourself.

Cheers.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
DenimAngel
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 1:32:34 PM

hello1 howdy peeps
A large tea would be great.
Quiet day here other than the wind Howling. Thank goodness I don't have to go out in it.
I was able to find a book I was waiting on at the library on their e-book app so that made me a happy camper.
The sun is shining.
I hope everyone is trying to have a good day
I have COOKIES!
In Big Bird we have : strawberry &vanilla pinwheels, vanilla and chocolate pinwheels, pecan divines and butterscotch and pretzel cookies
In Cookie Monster we have strawberry&vanilla pinwheels, vanilla and chocolate pinwheels, ginger snaps and butterscotch &pretzel cookies
Yep trying out some new recipes today.
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *
No plans today other than reading and maybe some writing

Stay safe everyone

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 4:52:21 AM

Morning, Story Spacers. The good news is Sara dropped off a batch of cookies. The bad news is I'll have hit the cookie jars any minute now. ;)

Sara, let me ask about your library e-book setup. Are the books text-to-speech or do they use human readers or both?

Just a reminder that the Project Gutenberg site has both kinds though the Text-to-Speech has the most selection. However, the site is free and has a huge inventory.

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

Survivor
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 6:30:47 AM

I've made a pot of coffee and the water is simmering. I have poured a lot of coffee into a thermos cup that I will be taking with me this morning.

So, I've got a long day coming up. The medical portion will all be at the local hospital. First I start with a port lab in the oncology department where they access my port, take blood, and leave the access in to be used later. Then I will go across the hospital to the imaging department and await getting a CT scan. That may occur between 10:15 and noon. When that is complete I need to await the results so I will go back to the oncology department. When the results are given to my oncologist she will call me in for a talk about it. We are hoping that no new cancer growth has appeared. If that is the case all is good and I will go on home to await the end of the pandemic. If new cancer has shown we will have to discuss our options.

When that stuff is finished I will try to get a bit of shopping done in the afternoon for things we may need in our home.

flower

elizabethblack
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 10:32:49 AM

Dearest Larry, it kind of sucks to have the pandemic and all those tests to deal with. But you always show such good stoic humor. But then, you have been fighting this battle for several years.

Guess I will try and get the kitchen floor mopped today. I know, calm down friends, everyone has a floor someplace they can mop. Lots of people are probably writing beautiful sonnets and prose or painting new images for the world to enjoy. But...hey, I'm happy with my floor today.

DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 2:22:24 PM

hello1 Howdy peeps
A large tea would be great
The wind is howling outside and it's cloudy. A good day to be inside for sure.

Bill my library e-book set up uses human readers.. It's pretty good. Thanks for the mention of that other book service.

Larry sounds like a busy day stay safe I know Victor will be eagerly awaiting your return home

Elizabeth good to see you again pretty girl. I hope you are having a good day. Mopping the floor sounds exciting . I did that earlier.

I have cookies today ...
In Big bird we have pecan divines, orange fudge cookies, peanut butter blossoms and oatmeal cranberry cookies

In Cookie Monster we have : chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate chip cookies, ginger snaps and blueberry crunch cookies

Stay safe and keep the faith hello1

Survivor
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 2:58:08 PM

Nice to see you, ladies. The more ladies the better as far as I am concerned. thumbup

All went well today at the hospital. As I have said before we have very few Covid-19 cases in our county as of yet. But the hospital is taking all precautions. I completed a set of questions at the only open entrance to the facility. My temperature was taken to check for fever. I was given a facemask to wear while there.

Blood was drawn easily through my port. Then I waited for the CT scan, drinking the "brew" necessary for a good scan using the access created earlier in my chest. I awaited the results at the oncology center and they arrived shortly thereafter. My oncologist and I discussed the good results. I am doing well. The areas that had cancer in the past are "unremarkable" and "stable" which are good things.

I will not go back for any treatments for now. In three months these procedures will be followed again and we hope the results are the same. That will be a good thing.

Victor was so happy to see me after spending a good portion of the day moping, awaiting my return. It will soon be his dinner and walk time. Almost 5:00 o'clock here.

flower

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 4:10:55 PM

Hello everyone! Cheers for the coffee Larry and so glad all went well at the hospital. As lovely Elizabeth says, only you could stay chipper under the pandemic circumstances.

Thanks for the cookies, Sara!

And Anna, that is a conundrum about your mum's house. I do hope it all works out and can get sorted somehow.
gillianleeza
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 9:47:45 PM

Larry, I'm glad everything came out well with your scans.

I finally found flour on a trip out to Costco today. I needed to stock up on fruit and vegetables and spotted s pallet of flour. The only part that is silly is having to buy two bags because they bundle them together. I now have twenty pounds of flour, lol. I need to get baking. My son and girlfriend had decided to make macaron cookies because we do have almond flour. But now we can make a lot more things. We made Shepard's pie tonight. We brought ribs and are going to have a rib cook-off tomorrow. We each get a rack of ribs to cook the way we want to. My youngest is coming to come home tomorrow to judge the winner and of course to eat them with us.

Still, no toilet paper to be found. But I am healthy and so is my family, so I really can't complain.

Sarah, thanks for more cookies. I'll have a handful. I am staying up to enjoy peace and quiet in my house at night. It's a little too busy and noisy at times with everyone at home.

Anna, I hope you can find a solution to your Mom's house. It is amazing how many unintended and unforeseen consequences have been occurring everywhere.

I'm still enjoying my new bathroom. Soaking in a bath, reading and listening to music takes my mind off what is going on.

I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe.

Cheers!

Just one more picture.

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 6:28:30 AM

It's morning on the prairie and the coffee is percolating.

Gill, we have bought a new kitchen sink, faucet, and three light-fixtures to be put into our kitchen by the handyman. We were hoping he would be doing that soon after he put in the new countertop tiles we had selected. He was going to buy them (with our credit card) so he could load them up and bring them over whenever he was ready to work. Well, the current situation has put a stop to this. I am hoping he will get back to me next week about what his work schedule looks like now.

It would seem we may not get the kitchen refinished for a while.

flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 6:58:03 AM

I'm still smiling over your good check-up results, Larry. If you haven't horded all of Sara's cookies, I might even say a nice word or two about your coffee. ;)

Scratch Vic's ears for me.

Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 11:24:35 AM

Survivor wrote:

Well, the Zoom online visit went surprisingly well, considering it was the first day this doctor had used it and was the first time I had tried it myself.

I had only ever been a guest in Zoom meetings until my wife started using it for work (her university went to online only so she uses a university-provided Zoom account for her office hours). It's definitely one of the simpler, but still good quality, online conferencing systems that I have seen. If my employer wasn't already committed to Microsoft Teams (which does more than just conferencing), I might look at it for work. I was glad to see a few posts down that your cancer followup went well. Good news is nice to hear these days.

Hi, all. Sorry I'm kind of scarce. Working from home is actually keeping me busier than being in the office, I think.

We had talked about replacing the kitchen counters and a redo of the deck this year but the contractor I used last time we had work done (a nice English guy who did a lot of work for my employer) passed away this winter and given the current situation, I'm not about to go hunting for a new contractor right now. So I guess we're bumping it off to at least 2021.

Tea and some of Sara's cookies sounds good right now.

My Stories here:

Voice of Ice (Cosmic Horror)
Night of the Wind (Fantasy)
Lady in the Lake (Ghost Story)

My Poems Here:

On Seeing the Light (Re)born - Revelling in a tropical sunrise
Spooky People - Hallowe'en celebration
DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:49:15 PM

hello1 howdy folks
I think a large tea sounds good right about now. It's beautiful outside so I have the windows open and enjoying the sunshine.

Gill the bathroom is gonna be beautiful.

Hi Rump.. How goes things in the valley of the Sun

Larry sorry to hear about having to put the kitchen remodel on hold.

Scott busy Is good but too busy is never fun.

Quiet day here at the moment unless the neighbors get loud and rowdy.
Plan is to curl up with a good book or work on my reading que here.

I found some fun cookie cutters so today we have sugar cookies and diabetic friendly sugar cookies shaped like flip flops, ice cream cones and sunglasses

I thought we needed fun cookies today.

Hope everyone is trying to have a good day. flower

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:59:13 PM

gillianleeza wrote:

Anna, I hope you can find a solution to your Mom's house. It is amazing how many unintended and unforeseen consequences have been occurring everywhere.

Thanks, Gill. I am sure that it will work out one way or another. The important memories have already been removed. What is left is mainly just furniture that my daughter wants for her house. It will be a shame if we have to let it go but our health is far more important.
I have to say that I love your bathroom, The industrial style is right up my street. The black fittings complement the white beautifully. I am about to do mine but we only have the tiles so far. That means it won't get done until we can get the suite.

If I may, Sara, I will try one of your flip flops. I think it will go well with a strong black coffee.

Hope that you are all keeping safe. It's times like this that WhatsApp and Skype are real lifesavers.

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 3:51:13 PM

Today we drove into the Kansas City metro area. We were taking two bags of books to my brother-in-law's mother-in-law. She is quarantined in place there. We saw her and my brother-in-law and his wife sitting outside enjoying the nice weather. They were each spread out over six feet away from each other.

We learned some news. My nephew, a respiratory therapist, discovered he had been exposed to Covid-19 last week. He kept that from the family while he was getting tested. It was found he was negative, but he is still quarantined for two weeks to make sure he is cleared. His wife is also a respiratory therapist working in the Kansas City metro area.

Sugarbaby
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 10:35:21 PM

Hi everyone, I'm back.

When I'm not depressed, I've been super busy. Trying to keep my kids entertained. My special one has sure been taking this well and not acting up.
Which is a big surprise. Being autistic ANY change can cause a melt-down. My daughter breaks down in tears, she is so scared. It broke my heart
the other day when she ran to my arms crying and said "Mom I don't want to die.". I just held her and had a good cry with her. I told her you are
safe here. Thank goodness Robert was taking a nap, and didn't see.

Larry so happy you are doing well.
Nice to see so many others. It's so nice and quiet here. Like we're all in a living room with a big sofa, with lots of pillows.
Enjoying each others company.

So many of our health care providers all over the states seems to be getting sick. Today a doctor who didn't know he had the virus just infected
our local Denali Center a nursing home. All the virus test came back negative for my niece and all the group home
residents after being exposed. (can't remember if I mentioned that before).

So scary out there. They tell people don't panic, but the shelves are always so empty. There simply is no more fresh meat for now. I sure miss
chicken. By the end of this I'm going to hate mac & cheese and frozen pizza. sad3

Scott what you said about working at home, made me remember this meme I had up the other day on my wall. Is this you? Think

I've been hearing a lot about this Zoom. Is it easy to set up and use? I will talk to Jon about it, see if it can be used with grandma.
She is getting grumpy being stuck at home and not allowed to go out. Not talking

Well have to run. See what I can find to bake later tonight to keep the kids busy.

Everyone Stay Safe.

Oh, hot cocoa please.

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 4:09:50 AM

Hello everyone. Looks like I'm first in so I'll set up the coffee. Larry can perfect it later! Thanks for the cookies, Sara! I'll snag a handful.

Really good to catch up on everyone's news. Bathroom's looking great, Gill! And I hope everyone gets their home projects sorted once all this is over.

It's bright and chilly outside today, so I'll get put into the garden for a few lungfuls of fresh air later.
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 6:20:58 AM

The coffee house is busy. Always good to see Linda with news from Alaska. Great coffee this morning, Cynthia. I'll brew another pot for when the late morning rush gets here. Whistle

Not sure if I mentioned it but our lady governor has declared a stay-in-place for the entire state of Kansas and not simply for the counties most hit. Our county at present has 14 positives and no deaths for now. As far as I can tell I don't need to go out again until medicines are ready at the pharmacy. My next doctor's visit is three months from now.

I suppose I will need to fill up with gasoline in the next couple of weeks. The prices have dropped drastically in the past few days.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 2:09:12 PM

Howdy folks flower
It's so good to be able to keep up with everyone's news
I hope everyone is trying to enjoy the day with this new normal

It is pretty quiet on my mountain I think the neighbors next door are sleeping off their partying last night because its quiet as church mice.

I think I might do a little writing. I finished all my library movies so I'll be diving into my collection today I'm sure.
I have COOKIES!
In Big Bird we have: snickerdoodles ,carrot cake cookies, cinnamon stars and snow puffs
In Cookie Monster we have :snowflake & ice cookies, lemon softies, peanut butter melts and frosted ginger cookies
I finished my last library book I checked out when the library was open. The e-book app is awesome. Not sure what I'll read next on it.

Hugs to all
Stay safe! hello1

Mendalla
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 4:24:00 PM

Sugarbaby wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm back.

Scott what you said about working at home, made me remember this meme I had up the other day on my wall. Is this you? Think

I've been hearing a lot about this Zoom. Is it easy to set up and use? I will talk to Jon about it, see if it can be used with grandma.
She is getting grumpy being stuck at home and not allowed to go out. Not talking

Other than mainly using Microsoft Teams rather than Zoom, that's not bad. I did have a moment on an audio-only conference where I realized that I was in a business meeting with no pants on.confused1

Zoom is probably the simplest conferencing software out there, based on helping my wife set it up. It is meeting software, though, so you can't just call or chat someone like you can in Skype or similar. You send and invitation that has a link to the meeting.

My Stories here:

My Poems Here:

elizabethblack
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 5:29:56 PM

Read an interesting article in local newspaper. *Guards will continue to work in the regional jail even if they get sick with the virus.* Went on to say they can stay in the jail to sleep and eat and continue to do their jobs.... Left me thinking do people really take this seriously, do they even know the life threatening possibilities from this illness?

elizabethblack
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 5:33:59 PM

Sara, isn't this a perfect cookie?

Mendalla
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 6:42:53 PM

Isn't a cookie monster cookie getting a bit meta or something?confused1

My Stories here:

My Poems Here:

DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 7:07:13 PM

elizabethblack wrote:
Sara, isn't this a perfect cookie?

That is the prefect cookie Monster cookie
*giggles*

DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 7:07:56 PM

Mendalla wrote:
Isn't a cookie monster cookie getting a bit meta or something?confused1

Cookie Monster cookie means we have too much free time hello1

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 6:14:39 AM

G-O-O-D morning, Stories Spacers!! Okay, I'll admit that greeting might be just a tad over-the-top not to mention irritating. However, I'd argue that it beasts, "Up your nose with a rubber hose," although that one from the old 'Welcome Back Kotter' series might be more appropriate to the occasion. However, I'm open to discussion of that burning issue. ;)

Anyway, coffee's hot and ready to trot. If you drain the pot, then it behooves you to get the next one going.

glasses8.

Survivor
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 6:34:25 AM

It appears that some folks drop by for coffee and don't leave a note or message. That's fine. I'm brewing up a fresh pot now. Never enough coffee.

Nothing, I repeat, nothing seems to be on the horizon. I do have a story idea inside. I am mulling it. I think it might be good. But I will need to actually start writing something soon.

flower