Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Mendalla
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 2:58:26 PM

Ontario is up to 300ish confirmed cases but not many in my area. Toronto and environs are taking the brunt of it. Ottawa is getting bad, too.

I'm working from home now as are a lot of people in my office (it's optional for us right now). First day and so far, so good.

I don't really have any medical needs until May when I am due for quarterly bloods to check my A1C (a marker of how well I am controlling my diabetes). My annual is due then, too, but that can always wait.

gypsy wrote:

We have friends in the medical profession. They anticipate they will become infected, due to the their profession and commitment to their work.

Hearing that from them is chilling.

That was certainly the experience here during SARS. Lots of health care professionals caught that one. I work in home health and we are equipping our teams as best we can but there's only so much you can do.

Shopping isn't too bad around here. A few things are in short supply but stores are operating and the last couple shopping trips have been pretty smooth save for a couple things we couldn't get like hand santizer.

Afternoon teatime sounds like a good idea, though it's getting into evening here now.

Take care, all.

My Stories here:

Voice of Ice (Cosmic Horror)
Night of the Wind (Fantasy)
Lady in the Lake (Ghost Story)

My Poems Here:

On Seeing the Light (Re)born - Revelling in a tropical sunrise
Spooky People - Hallowe'en celebration
Sugarbaby
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 12:57:14 AM

Hi Anna, Scott, Larry, Daisy, Liz....who did I miss?

Hope everyone is well.

I don't know if you've seen my post in that "other" place. But I named this the "corny-virus".
My son calls us staying home "hibernating" that works for me.

I must admit I am VERY scared how things are going with this. The reason being is that how CLOSE to home this can
hit families. My agency me and my niece work for was exposed to the virus, all by a careless co-worker. He exposed my
niece, the group home she works in and ALL the clients. Then went around town and exposed countless others.

So far as of today tests have come back negative for my niece, her 3 little ones, and all the clients at the home.

Today, because Fairbanks has 9 cases, the schools are closed till the end of the school year. All nail salons, barber shops
and massage therapy clinics. The shelves are getting bare, the stores promised to restock, but that hasn't been the case.

Yesterday, when we went a fight started. It's getting pretty ugly. Never thought I would see something like this in my
lifetime. Because my son, has lung problems and mom is 83 with COPD and cancer, the family is very worried.

Mi querido, please let us know how those tests go. Extra abrazos y besos.

All we can do is hope and pray everyone can get thru this, and help and take care of who we can.

I brought us some Peeps, Daisy, because we love marshsmellows.

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 7:55:01 AM

It is a major goodness to have Sugar Baby (Linda) among us even if it's at the proscribed six cyber foot interval.

The coffee's ready for consumption and there's hot water in the kettle for the tea sippers among us.

Keep on keeping on, y'all.

glasses8

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 8:02:23 AM

Good morning from mid-America. Such a treat having Linda stop by. Te amo, mi amor. You will get through this.

I went shopping this morning after feeding and walking Victor. It is freezing out there so he did not come to the stores with me. The crowds are really not much larger than normal. The only thing that tells me things are different is the shelves that are empty. And they have tons of food. The things that are gone are toilet paper, tissue, bleach, and sanitizer stuff. We are fine at our house.

Plenty of food in the fridge, freezer, and the pantry.

I need some of the coffee now. Thanks, Bill.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 12:09:49 PM

flower
Hi everyone !
A large hot chocolate pretty please it's windy outside but the sun is trying to peek out
Linda good to see you and Yay for the peeps. Yep we sure do love our marshmallows!
Hi Bill how goes things in the valley of the Sun.
Larry I'm glad your stores weren't crowded I bet Victor was happy to see you when you got home.

I have cookies today
In Big Bird we have : orange cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, chocolate covered cherry cookies and peanut butter cookies
In Cookie Monster we have : cocoa snaps, fudge-a-roons, peanut butter cookies and honey drop cookies

Quiet day here on my little mountain. Waiting ever so patiently for my story to be posted here.. Might catch up on some reading here.

Everyone stay safe !hello1

magnificent1rascal
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 1:24:54 PM

Hello, friends.

As many of you know, I live near the worst of this in Washington state. My county has the highest number of deaths in the U.S., but no cases have been reported in our town yet. Mr. Rascal and I are observing all the distancing guidelines and are practicing strict sanitizing protocols. We’ll get through this.

All my best to everyone here. Thank you for your patience with submission verification as we all tend to more pressing matters in our lives right now.

Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
tonyal
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 8:26:02 PM

Good evening. I have never been in here before but thought I'd pop in for a quick hi. Like many places we were put on lockdown as of tonight here in Jersey. We already had schools, bars, nontakeout restaurants, gyms, salons etc closed down. Now it will get tighter. I've been homeschooling my girl for a week and it's been interesting. I'm sure many of you have seen me talk of her in the other place I usually can be found. I really am praying for all of the people who still have to work and those who come in contact with the virus daily. I also am keeping all my friends in my heart and thoughts. I think I will have some tea as I am ready to head to bed. We
Welshdreamer42
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 3:00:25 AM

Hi Tonya, good to se you :)

I’m making a rare appearance here myself - don’t suppose anyone could make me a chocolate soya milkshake? Id love one.

Things are getting scary here in the UK. Pubs, cinemas, theatres etc have all closed which has put a lot of my friends out of work. My school has remained open for Key worker’s children but as yet, we don’t know how many will take up a place. It’s all very uncertain. I’m also waiting to see if I get a letter ordering me to self isolate as I’m asthmatic. If I get a letter, I’ll have to stop work immediately. I don’t want to do that.

We’ll see... it’s strange times. Very strange.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."

Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 6:53:19 AM

Thank you for coming by Tonya. I'm glad you had a visit as well, Helen. Also, so good to know how you and Mr. Rascal are doing, Maggie.

I will make sure the coffee is hot. I have it on now. The water will be boiling soon for tea. Actually, we might have the ingredients for a chocolate soya milkshake, Helen. I will check the fridge.

I was called on Friday to remind me that I had an appointment with a doctor on this next Tuesday. That means they are still seeing patients unrelated to the corny virus. I hope that is a good sign that the virus is not starting to overwhelm our hospital here in town. Still only one positive patient so far.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
Mendalla
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 7:54:03 AM

Nice to see Sugarbaby and Tonya popping by Inspirations. Putting the kettle on for some tea. Anyone else?

Home office is set up and we are keeping our shopping trips to a couple per week. I walk for exercise but even in good times, I don't meet many people and tend to pass them at a distance

Weather is good here, at least, if a bit chilly.

Read the new Scamp and it's a delight as usual.

My Stories here:

My Poems Here:

DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 1:15:05 PM

hello1 howdy folks
A large sweet tea sounds good right now. It's nice outside on my little mountain the wind is blowing but not too bad.

Good to see so many people dropping in yesterday.
It's good to get updates from friends with all the craziness going on in the world.

In honor of Scamps newest adventure we have chocolate chip cookies shaped like pumpkins and bats and ghosts and Halloween kitties.
They are diabetic friendly too.

All quiet in my neck of the woods. Business as usual for the most part.

Stay safe and sane everyone

Mendalla
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 1:59:11 PM

* grabs a ghost and a tea *

Good afternoon. Had a nice, if chilly, walk.

Started watching a course from The Great Courses on Arthurian literature. The Arthur cycle of legends and stories use to be a thing with me in high school and university. Even took an English course on the subject as an elective in uni. Somewhere along the line, though, it seems to have dropped off my radar. Thought maybe the course would get me interested again. Open to suggestions for good recent Arthurian novels. I think the last new Arthurian work I read was The Winter King (1995) by Bernard Cornwell. That was the first book of a trilogy so I suppose I could start by finishing the trilogy, eh.

My Stories here:

My Poems Here:

Survivor
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 6:57:46 AM

Good day to all. The coffee is finished and waiting to be poured out. I have my first cup beside me here as I sit on the settee in my bedroom/sitting room. Victor is taking his morning nap after achieving success in our "walkies" after breakfast.

As of this morning, the total number of novel coronavirus cases in Kansas is 70. Some hospitals across the state are canceling non-essential surgeries. At this time I am still planning to attend my appointments this week. Tomorrow I see an orthopedist in the afternoon.

The situation across the country is much direr. I think I am very lucky to be where I am.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 2:08:36 PM

flower howdy folks
A large coffee would be great .
Today was good to start with got all my chores done. Then called the courthouse to check on the case with the ex husband and low and behold it's still on the docket for the afternoon even with all the craziness going on . So I gotta waste an hour of my time this afternoon . They are suppose to have precautions and procedures set up.

But I do have cookies today. I made a pretty sugar cookies and they are diabetic friendly too.
They are covered with pretty sprinkles . Lots of colors to choose from.
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *

It's not bad in my county. There is a 100 cases in the state but nothing in my part of the county I did learn that the county is 11,218 miles big

My library closed today but upswing is they told the patrons to keep their items until the library opens again and not to worry about late fees.

Hope everyone is staying safe and sane!

Welshdreamer42
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 4:55:02 PM

Hi folks, could I get a box of camomile tea bags to go, please? The UK is now on lockdown so my teabags will need to last crybaby

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."

Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 5:35:18 PM

Welshdreamer42 wrote:
Hi folks, could I get a box of camomile tea bags to go, please? The UK is now on lockdown so my teabags will need to last crybaby

Gives you a whole case of chamomile tea bags!

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 4:56:23 AM

Good to catch up with everyone's news! Welcome, lovely Tonya and lovely Linda! Good to see you here. And lovely to have you popping in, Helen.

Sara, your latest Scamp story is on my reading list!!

I'm in the UK, like Helen, so it's lockdown here. I've been self-isolating for the past few days anyway so the only change is that I won't get out for my daily walk. I'll continue to dance around the living room though!

I'm very lucky that N. Ireland is a very kind and friendly place and I've been overwhelmed with offers from neighbours and friends for shopping etc, which is heartwarming.

Take good care all!

I'll grab a coffee here to wake me up!
Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 6:57:15 AM

There is a fresh pot of Arabica coffee brewing now. There is always a tea kettle simmering for those who want tea or cocoa. Please, sit down and rest awhile.

I have my orthopedist's appointment later today. I will be interested to see the procedures they use to allow me into the facility to keep me and themselves safe from the spread of the virus.

Be well, Cynthia. I'll see you later this afternoon, Sara. Please know there are always tea bags here, Helen.

flower

gillianleeza
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 9:25:24 AM

Strange times. Thankfully I recovered from whatever I had and have been able to drop off groceries and supplies to my parents. I can not see them but I can drop off things at the front gate and they will deliver them. They only get one meal a day delivered to them and they needed to restock their kitchen.

Still, no toilet paper to be found anywhere. No flour or yeast either. I miss baking bread. I've made a couple of pies. I've also organized all the drawers in my house and started on the closets. I may be slightly obsessive-compulsive. One good thing about being at home, we were able to work on our bathroom remodel. It's almost finished. The most important part is done- my new larger soaking bathtub.

I hope everyone is staying healthy and finding enjoyable ways to pass the time.

I made a key lime pie, a lemon meringue pie, and an apple pumpkin pie with a crumb topping. I am trying to use things up in my pantry.

I'll leave them on the counter.

Back to organizing for now.

Cheers, stay safe everyone!

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 10:45:39 AM

(mumbles through a mouth-full of pie) I'd have posted sooner but this trying to figure out which of Gill's pies I like best is a real challenge.

I've been tinkering with a list of podcasts those not familiar with that medium might want to check out. That's why I found myself listening (for the first time ever) to an episode of 'Welcome to Night Vale'. Best I can describe it is to suggest it's a bit like an audio version of 'The Twilight Zone' that's on magic mushrooms.

Coffee is a major goodness.

glasses8

No matter what happens, pizza will always be there for you. Thick and thin, in crust we trust.'

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 11:08:34 AM

My appointment with the orthopedist was canceled because he was called into emergency surgery. They will call me back when an opening occurs in the future. For now, I will simply have to get along with some discomfort in my shoulder, and a stabbing pain every so often.

I need to go out this afternoon to pick up some medicine at the pharmacy. They have a drive-up window that Victor loves. They send out a treat for him when I use that window. I may get some shopping done as well if it is not too crowded. We simply do not need to be close to one another at this time.

I still have my appointment on Friday for a blood draw for lab tests and a CT scan. Then a session with my oncologist on Monday to discuss whatever the scan shows us.

I'm going to have one last cuppa java for today.

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 11:39:24 AM

hello1 hi peeps
A large coffee sounds good right about now.
Yay Gillian thank you for leaving the pies.
I think lemon meringue is the best.
*peeks in the cookie jars *they look to be in good shape.
*gives the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *
The cookie bandit must be taking a break *giggles*
Im off on an adventure in a little bit

Gillian I'm so glad to hear you can drop off things to your parents.

Larry sorry to hear your appointment got cancelled. I bet Victor is excited about going to the drugstore with you.

Rump hope everything is good in the Valley of the Sun for you and the missus

Hi Ape how goes things in the great white north?

Keep the faith peeps and stay safe

gillianleeza
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 1:59:31 PM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
(mumbles through a mouth-full of pie) I'd have posted sooner but this trying to figure out which of Gill's pies I like best is a real challenge.

I've been tinkering with a list of podcasts those not familiar with that medium might want to check out. That's why I found myself listening (for the first time ever) to an episode of 'Welcome to Night Vale'. Best I can describe it is to suggest it's a bit like an audio version of 'The Twilight Zone' that's on magic mushrooms.

glasses8

That is an excellent description of Welcome to Nighvale. I have listened to a couple of seasons. When someone asks what it is about I never know what to say. I'll use your description from now on if you don't mind. I love that even their "commercials" are part of the whole thing.

I get good podcast recommendations from my kids. A few years back I started a forum thread about podcasts. It was not very successful, but maybe now there will be more interest. I'll post the link.

https://forum.storiesspace.com/yaf_postst4512_Podcasts-Am-I-the-only-one-who-listens-to-them.aspx

Larry, a lot of appointments are being canceled around here. My mammogram and follow up with my doctor about a previous surgery were canceled. Nothing that can't be postponed but it is unsettling. I hope yours can be rescheduled soon.

I'm looking through my pantry to see what I bake next. I have several cans of sweetened condensed milk. I'm thinking of coconut macaroons and fudge.

Sarah, I'll take a few cookies to snack on while I determine what's for dinner tonight.

Stay safe everyone!

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 5:21:53 PM

gillianleeza wrote:
Rumple_deWriter wrote:

glasses8

That is an excellent description of Welcome to Nighvale. I have listened to a couple of seasons. When someone asks what it is about I never know what to say. I'll use your description from now on if you don't mind. I love that even their "commercials" are part of the whole thing.

I get good podcast recommendations from my kids. A few years back I started a forum thread about podcasts. It was not very successful, but maybe now there will be more interest. I'll post the link.

https://forum.storiesspace.com/yaf_postst4512_Podcasts-Am-I-the-only-one-who-listens-to-them.aspx

Larry, a lot of appointments are being canceled around here. My mammogram and follow up with my doctor about a previous surgery were canceled. Nothing that can't be postponed but it is unsettling. I hope yours can be rescheduled soon.

I'm looking through my pantry to see what I bake next. I have several cans of sweetened condensed milk. I'm thinking of coconut macaroons and fudge.

Sarah, I'll take a few cookies to snack on while I determine what's for dinner tonight.

Stay safe everyone!

I vote for FUDGE!

gypsy
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 3:26:09 AM

gillianleeza wrote:

Stay safe everyone!

Larry, Gill, so sorry to hear your appointments have been cancelled and put off to a later date, it is quite unsettling. Fortunately, nothing was urgent. Larry, I sympathise with the shoulder pain, although at least I don't have the occasional stabbing pain. It's just constant pain with peak and low periods of intensity. I hope your other appointments are kept and go smoothly.

I'm going to reboot that podcast thread, Gill, thanks for bringing it up again. If you have any new and interesting ones from your kids it would be great to know about them.

Also, for the yeast problem - have you considered making your own sough dough starter? I did this many years ago, when I was into making pizza once a week, but it went by the wayside at some point. There are plenty of places on line that give directions on making the starter, this one seems thorough and has good instructions and pictures.

How to make a sourdough starter

Stay safe and well, everyone, we're all in this together, but apart. Seems weird but that's how it is, eh.

Lock down!

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 7:01:00 AM

Good morning, Gypsy. The coffee is brewed and the water is hot.

I now have an appointment for an online session with an orthopedist using something called Zoom. The appointment is for 2:30 this afternoon so I have most of the day to figure out how to use it. I've already determined that my browser, Safari, is not going to work with this application. I have downloaded Chrome and now have to learn how to use it as well.

Learning new technology is not one of the things I want to use my retirement years doing. It is what it is. I will talk to a doctor, at least.

The lawn service is doing its first mowing of the season in our neighborhood. They cut it low this first time to stimulate new growth. Lovely not having to do it myself anymore. It is a certain sign of spring around our neck of the woods.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 1:54:16 PM

hello1 hi peeps
A large tea would be great at the moment . The sun is trying to peek thru the clouds we are suppose to get to 70 degrees F .
A quiet day so far woke up to early so I got my chores done then took a little nap
Not much is going on in my world.
The local library has set up a little mini outside library that has books puzzles and dvds you can take home to keep.
I haven't checked it out yet but I think it looks cute.
Working on a new Scamp Adventures story.

Now I'm here with COOKIES.
In Big Bird We have have oatmeal raisin ,peanut butter cookies and chocolate chip cookies
In Cookie Monster we have : oatmeal raisin, ginger snaps and chocolate chip cookies
Today's cookies are in fun Winnie the Pooh character shapes.

*giving the adorable critters fresh water and treats *
I hope everyone is trying to have a good day .
Keep the faith !hello1

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 2:08:05 PM

Hi Everyone.hello2
Well, here's an unexpected twist.
Since January, we have been going through the process of selling my mum's house after she passed away last December. Today, the solicitor emailed to say that the contracts are ready to sign and I can't go over to remove the last of her furniture and final effects. Goodness knows how on earth I am going to sort this one out. The UK is in lockdown so I can't safely rent a van or get together with other family members.
Oh well, I suppose it will work out one way or another... dontknow

In the meantime, several cups of strong coffee. coffee

Good to hear that you are all generally managing okay.

On a lighter note, My Dentist has cancelled on me. Can't say I'm too disappointed. kekekegay

Carrying on regardless.

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 2:17:17 PM

Well, the Zoom online visit went surprisingly well, considering it was the first day this doctor had used it and was the first time I had tried it myself. So, a doctor's appointment was filled. I will get some physical therapy exercises in an email soon and I can start doing them to potentially alleviate some of the pain I have in the left shoulder area.

Now for a port lab and a CT scan on Friday. Those are definitely appointments that must be in person.

My wife has started sewing facemasks out of material to take to our local hospital. We hope they will be useful to them.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 3:58:26 PM

Survivor wrote:

Well, the Zoom online visit went surprisingly well, considering it was the first day this doctor had used it and was the first time I had tried it myself. So, a doctor's appointment was filled. I will get some physical therapy exercises in an email soon and I can start doing them to potentially alleviate some of the pain I have in the left shoulder area.

Now for a port lab and a CT scan on Friday. Those are definitely appointments that must be in person.

My wife has started sewing facemasks out of material to take to our local hospital. We hope they will be useful to them.

flower

That's AWESOME that your wife is making those face masks to give to the hospital I'm sure they will appreciate them.