Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 1:23:51 PM

Hi everyone
A large hot chocolate will be great flower
Bad mirgraine today. Good thing I baked extra Cookies yesterday so the cookie jar isn't empty.
*puts out treats for the little adorable mascots and checking their water dishes *
Yuck bad timing for a new roof.
Hope everyone is having a great day
Stay warm everyone !

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:42:23 AM

Good morning on the prairies of the New World. I've got the coffee percolating and the water beginning to simmer.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:26:57 AM

Morning, Larry. (leans over to give Victor a cyber pat). Thanks for the coffee

I've actually done a little (as in very little) work around SS. Over on the 'Competitions and Calls for Subs' forum is a brand-spanking new list of 26 Young Adult publishers that don't require writers to use a literary agent. Check it out if you get a chance.

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 2:56:20 PM

Hello friends. Sorry I've been a little absent lately. hello2
Anyway, I made a New Year Resolution which was to renew efforts to get 'The Nurses' into print and so, Bill, I have submitted to one of those on your list. If that doesn't work then I will try others.
2020 is the year that Maria and Katarina will be launched to the world... I hope. dontknow

No time to sit and drink coffee, I have publishers to pester!

Oh, alright then, perhaps just a quick one... icon_smile

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
elizabethblack
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:14:07 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
Hello friends. Sorry I've been a little absent lately. hello2
Anyway, I made a New Year Resolution which was to renew efforts to get 'The Nurses' into print and so, Bill, I have submitted to one of those on your list. If that doesn't work then I will try others.
2020 is the year of the that Maria and Katarina will be launched to the world... I hope. dontknow

No time to sit and drink coffee, I have publishers to pester!

Oh, alright then, perhaps just a quick one... icon_smile

This is time for celebration and fingers crossed. Such a fantastic and enthralling book needs to be out there for the public. Lots of different interests will be happy to have found your book. You go girl.
hello1

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:31:09 PM

That is very happy news, Anna. Everyone will be rooting for you getting your novel published. Best of luck with it.

I need to pass on a bit of news that was announced just this past 20 minutes on the local news. Some of you may know I live in the town of Lawrence, in eastern Kansas. Only about 45 minutes from the Kansas City metro area. It has been reported that there is a possible patient with the coronavirus, from China, that was noted in our local hospital. Lawrence Memorial Hospital. It is not official yet, but they are taking precautions. Patients are being given masks to wear when they go to the hospital. Those with coughs are going to be scrutinized closely. This is serious, so we need to take all of the precautions we should. If we do that I am sure there will not be a great outburst of the virus here in town.

I am positive that some of you will be worrying. I doubt there is any need to do that. We are very good at controlling these outbreaks here in the States.

I will be keeping you updated from now on.

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
elizabethblack
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:37:54 PM

Larry, of course that is worrying. But I know how esteemed your hospitals are. I am glad you are going to keep us up to date.

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:19:44 PM

A hot chocolate before bed would be great
A super late drop in... Stupid phone service stinks today so I didn't get everything done that I wanted too. Upswing is my migraine is under control.
I do have cookies for the cookie jar.. Peanut butter, chocolate chip cookies and red velvet cookies
It was a good day other than the phone being a brat.
Hope everyone has a good night
Good news about that book Anna
That flu and coronavirus is scary stuff

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:28:30 AM

Snow covered the ground overnight. We will have coffee soon to help us to face the day.

Tomorrow I take Victor in to get his teeth cleaned. They will put him under for the procedure. I'm worried. But oral problems can get bad in little pups.

Later in the afternoon, I will get an MRI to figure out what's going on with my shoulder.

Be careful out there folks.

flower

elizabethblack
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 10:16:20 AM

Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly tomorrow - in other words - don't have a blizzard tonight.
I leave in the morning for 10 days house/dog sitting. It is like going to a spa vacation. I look forward to it. Then like a vacation, I am always happy to be home.
I would love a glass of milk to have with one of Sara's yummy red velvet cookies. Thanks so much Sara.

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 2:32:27 PM

Evening friends.
Thank you, Elizabeth, for your kind words. 2020, the year of determination.
You too, Larry, and don't worry about the coronavirus. We had the same with Ebola a few years back. The nurse who contracted it sparked panic but nothing spread and she survived. Swine flu was another and before that, bird flu. There is always something.
We have had no snow here for the second year running which is not good, for me at least. I love it and am all set up for it.

Anyway, regards the book. It was well received by a number of publishers and contracts were offered but they all turned out to be vanity publishers who wanted four figure sums. Money I cannot afford nor would risk. There are too many horror stories about them. One of them wanted over £5000!

Still, here I will sit amongst friends and enjoy a nice strong espresso with you all.

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 2:57:50 PM

Howdy folks flower
It's been a very quiet day . Rainy and cold outside Good day for reading and eating cookies and drinking hot chocolate
I have fresh COOKIES for the cookie jar : airy berry cookies, chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cookies *puts the cookies in the jar*
*checking the water dishes for the little adorable mascots and leaving them treats *
The airy berry cookies is from a book I read.
Here is the recipe for the Airy Berry cookies since its a brand new recipe in here.
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries (I used Craisins)
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

Measure oatmeal and put in a bowl. Melt butter and add to oatmeal. Stir until thoroughly combined. Mix sugar, baking powder, flour and salt separately. Add this to the oatmeal mixture and blend thoroughly. Mix in vanilla. Add egg and stir until well blended.

Mix in cranberries and chips.

Line cookies sheets with foil, shiny side up. Spray with Pam. (REALLY do this....seriously!!!!) Leave room as these spread a lot. I only got 9 cookies on a sheet and I usually do 12.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and cool on sheet for 5 minutes then move the cookies ON the foil to a cooling rack. Once completely cooled, peel them off the foil (really you will PEEL!).

I didn't do this, but I could see myself doing it because of the leftover chips.
Chocolate Drizzle
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (or whatever you want, but you are going to have extra white chocolate chips....so I recommend using whatever you put in your cookies)
6 tbsp. juice, milk or liqueur.

You microwave the two ingredients until melted, 30 seconds, then at 15 second intervals until melted, stirring between. Drizzle on cookies on wax paper. Let harden then store between wax paper.

Makes 2.5 dozen cookies

Happy Wednesday everyone

gillianleeza
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 7:31:49 PM

Anna, I hope you have better luck with your book going forward.

Sarah those cookies sound delicious.

I'll be good and only take one. I have been sticking to my resolutions so far. I rejoined my gym and have been going regularly. The free trainer that came with the membership is a bit overenthusiastic about what workouts I can do. She's very young.

I have been trying to make different things for dinner. I get in such a rut serving the same things. I made Lamb Moussaka this evening. My family liked it but I was not that thrilled with it. The sheet pan Hawaiian shrimp tacos I made yesterday came out delicious so I will be making those again.

I hope this week is going well for everyone. No real winter weather here. Occasional rain but otherwise it's about 50 most days.

I'll take my cookie and lemonade and do some reading.

Cheers Everyone!

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
Survivor
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:09:59 AM

Well, the pup was just dropped off at the vet to have his teeth cleaned. And this will be an all-day affair. I can't expect to pick him up until perhaps 5:00.

I've got the coffee brewing. I need a cup now. Myself, I'll be over at the imaging services getting an MRI this afternoon. Busy day.

flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:16:56 AM

Morning to all 'Spacey' Stories Spacers. Coffee's on, and Sara's dribbled cookies are being consumed.

Well, Gypsy has done did it again. There's a new challenge on the 'Writing Prompts and Challenges' forum. This one focuses on Valentine's Day. Go check out the post for details and then come back for some more coffee and, if any are left, another cookie or two while you heap praise and thanks on our Gypsy. ;)

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

DenimAngel
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 12:00:31 PM

Howdy folks
It's a chilly day here on my little mountain so I think a large hot chocolate would be perfect.
I have more cookies for the cookie jar *peeks inside * good thing since there is nothing but crumbs *giggles and puts in chocolate chip ,butterscotch chip cookies, white chocolate chip and chocolate chip with m&ms*
*checks the water dishes for the little adorable mascots and leaves them a treat*
I hope Victors appointment went well. And your MRI comes back okie dokie Larry
Ooo Hawaiian shrimp tacos sounds yummy.
Hiya Bill I checked out the writing challenge I might come up with something .
Happy Thursday folks

Mendalla
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:55:29 PM

So, I am finally writing another story in the milieu of Night of the Wind. Basically a sequel, in fact, but with some new magic and monsters. Will be long, maybe even have to be split into two parts.

I am going to review all the current challenges and see if one inspires something that I can get out the door quickly. Perhaps gypsy's new one but we will see.

Now, time for an herbal tea and one of Sara's cookies.

My Stories here:

Voice of Ice (Cosmic Horror)
Night of the Wind (Fantasy)
Lady in the Lake (Ghost Story)

My Poems Here:

On Seeing the Light (Re)born - Revelling in a tropical sunrise
Spooky People - Hallowe'en celebration
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 3:24:59 AM

Great to catch up with everyone's news! Hello Larry and Elizabeth! *hugs*

Thanks for the recipe, Sara and hope the new story goes well, Scott!

Anna, fingers crossed your story will find a proper publication home and thanks for the nudge about Gypsy's new writing challenge, Bill!

Know what you mean about getting in a rut cooking wise, Gill. I made a sweet potato gratin with peanut butter and lime that went down very well with guests last week. Always a good sign when people ask for the recipe!
Survivor
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 6:46:11 AM

Good morning to you, Cynthia. I'm making sure there is fresh coffee and the tea kettle is ready.

Victor was Awesome at the vet. His teeth are all pearly white once more.

I'm finishing up a poem for display elsewhere. I'll get that done this morning. Then I can consider something for Gypsy's Valentine challenge.

flower

gypsy
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 11:37:52 AM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Morning to all 'Spacey' Stories Spacers. Coffee's on, and Sara's dribbled cookies are being consumed.

Well, Gypsy has done did it again. There's a new challenge on the 'Writing Prompts and Challenges' forum. This one focuses on Valentine's Day. Go check out the post for details and then come back for some more coffee and, if any are left, another cookie or two while you heap praise and thanks on our Gypsy. ;)

glasses8

Thank you Bill, for mentioning the Challenge, and I hope those who have expressed interest find time and inspiration to write something.

The first story is posted, Dreamcatcher's Love & Affection - 1 Hour Person

A totally personal musing on the subject, written with Larry's acute insight and observations on life.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 12:33:33 PM

hello1 hi everyone
A large hot chocolate with mini marshmallows will do just fine
It's cold outside !
I have COOKIES
*putting chocolate chip, peanut butter, peanut butter and banana and carrot cake cookies in the cookie jar*
*checking the water dishes for the little adorable mascots and leaving them a treat*
It's shaping up to be a quiet day here so I'm gonna climb up in my favorite chair in the corner with miss Molly and work on the next adventure of Scamp and friends.
Happy Friday everyone flower

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 7:02:41 AM

The coffee is now freshly brewed. I'm listening to some Bob Seger. Against the Wind.

Victor is resting from his walk. I'm planning our weekend shopping trip. I need to put some air in the tires of the car.

flower

Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 8:44:01 AM

Memo to self: If you're writing a purported sequel/continuation of an older story, reread the older story first. Yeah, I reread Night of the Wind this morning AFTER writing 4000 words of the new story and realized I'd messed up on a few details.

Kettle's on and I got a new shipment in from my tea vendor. Anyone else for a tea?

My Stories here:

My Poems Here:

elizabethblack
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 11:04:28 AM

Mendalla wrote:
Memo to self: If you're writing a purported sequel/continuation of an older story, reread the older story first. Yeah, I reread Night of the Wind this morning AFTER writing 4000 words of the new story and realized I'd messed up on a few details.

Kettle's on and I got a new shipment in from my tea vendor. Anyone else for a tea?

This is worthy of knocking your head against the wall five times. Not more because it was "a few details". That must be fixable to a brilliant author like you. Piece of cake.

And I would love a tea that isn't high octane. Say, a blackberry tea perhaps.

DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 12:01:40 PM

Howdy folks hello1
I need a large hot tea.. I need high octane it's been one of those mornings!
But I do Have COOKIES.
today's offerings in the cookie jar are :
Angel crunch cookies, pecan cookies, chocolate covered cherry cookies and peanut butter cookies
*gives the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *
Hoping for a quiet afternoon but not so sure.

Happy Saturday peeps grommit

Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 12:18:56 PM

elizabethblack wrote:
That must be fixable to a brilliant author like you. Piece of cake.

Thank you, but as a fan and social media follower of some truly incredible writers like Neil Gaiman and Ramsey Campbell, I would hardly call myself "brilliant". Yet. icon_biggrin

The rereading of the original has actually generated a major change to the plot of the sequel(s), but it's a change that was probably needed in any case.

elizabethblack wrote:

And I would love a tea that isn't high octane. Say, a blackberry tea perhaps.

Can do that. I am fond of berry teas myself, both flavoured black teas and herbals.

My Stories here:

My Poems Here:

Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 12:22:38 PM

DenimAngel wrote:
peanut butter cookies

I'm in for these. Haven't had them in eons.

About me and cookies: I grew up near the Dare bakery in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, which made cookies under its own name and for various store brands. I think they were only sold in Canada but not 100% sure of that. The smell sometimes reached our house and could certainly be detected when I was riding my bike out to the local mall (the factory was on the route). Talk about hungry-making. I still think of home when I see Dare cookies (we had a bag of their maple creams at work recently).

My Stories here:

My Poems Here:

Survivor
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2020 7:00:57 AM

Hello. The coffee is ready. I'm letting mine cool at the moment.

This is a good day, weather-wise. It will get up into the 60s.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2020 10:56:41 AM

hello2 hi everyone
A large hot chocolate pretty please
It was a rough morning . Went to read to Scamps littlest fans and they were wound up tighter than ticks and had a bad case of the wiggles and didn't wanna sit and listen
Today is super bowl Sunday and it looks like it might be a good game
There is also the PUPPY BOWL!
today's cookies are shaped like footballs in honor of SuperBowl .
Both team colors are represented .. I didn't play favorites!
*gives fresh water and treats to the adorable mascots *
Happy Sunday! grommit

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2020 5:53:46 AM

Coffee's on. It's extra strong today in case Carl stumbles in after or maybe while still in the midst of celebrating his Chiefs incredible come-from-behind, 31-20 win over the 49'ers in the Super Bowl. Congrats, Fuzzy.

glasses8