Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 3:15:18 PM

I have an autistic nephew. His thing is Thomas the Tank Engine. When he was little he would read the stories word perfect from his books but then I realised that he wasn't reading them at all as he wasn't looking at the pages. He was reciting them from memory and I could follow every word. He never missed a single one. He is a teenager now and Thomas is still his thing.

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Darkniciad
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2020 12:01:50 AM

I'm just glad the boy got attached to Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, and my old Transformers DVDS, rather than Barney or Teletubbies. I'd have lost my mind years ago with Barney running constantly in the background.

He's got a few odd choices as well. Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" and the Phantom Menace being the most odd. Fleetwood Mac is at least explained by his Mom loving it and watching it frequently. No clue where Phantom Menace came from.
Survivor
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:27:25 AM

Good morning group. So nice to see new faces in the coffee house. I have fresh coffee brewing right now.

This is Thursday and usually, during the semester at the art center it would be the day for ballet class. However, I've decided that my body has finally reached its limit. I won't be taking ballet lessons from now on. It was a joy to do it for some years but I need to move on to less strenuous activities.

I also passed on doing an audition for The Snow Queen. It was not really calling to me anyway. However, in the spring, Hello, Dolly! is going to be produced. I don't think I can pass up trying out for Horace Vandergelder.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
elizabethblack
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2020 8:51:01 AM

Autism is right up there with Alzheimer and Parkinson and MS and others that I sure hope all this intensive work being done with DNA might give us a breakthrough to help these people. so many cases and I don't believe in "they just identified it now - they didn't before" . I don't know the answer but have enough friends and family that have gone through the struggle with not enough help.

elizabethblack
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2020 8:53:12 AM

Survivor wrote:

Good morning group. So nice to see new faces in the coffee house. I have fresh coffee brewing right now.

This is Thursday and usually, during the semester at the art center it would be the day for ballet class. However, I've decided that my body has finally reached its limit. I won't be taking ballet lessons from now on. It was a joy to do it for some years but I need to move on to less strenuous activities.

I also passed on doing an audition for The Snow Queen. It was not really calling to me anyway. However, in the spring, Hello, Dolly! is going to be produced. I don't think I can pass up trying out for Horace Vandergelder.

flower

i know quite a few ladies taking ballet that will be so disappointed. And I celebrate you honey for making decisions that are right for you. We all need to do that, take charge of what we say yes and no to.

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2020 9:36:46 AM

Morning to: Ms Elizabeth, Victor the wonder dog and his faithful boy companion, Larry. ;)

IMO, this business of growing old is a pain, but the alternative is unacceptable.

Coffee is calling.

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

DenimAngel
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:25:49 PM

flower hi everyone
Yay for new people in the coffee house
Slow start to my day I believe I over did it yesterday.
Overnight delivery wasn't my first choice but since no one I knew was going to Walmart which is an hour away

Larry good choice in retiring from ballet

I brought treats ballet slippers shaped cookies today
And of course treats for the little adorable mascots

Happy Thursday folks

Darkniciad
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2020 7:19:28 PM

I don't know about that. I'm fairly certain that if i went in now, they'd put me on the spectrum. I actually had a psychological evaluation in either kindergarten or first grade. Ink blots and such. My mom was shocked that I remembered it — even vaguely. All I really remember are the ink blots and being at the doctor's office after dark, which was weird enough to take note of, even at that age. The doctor told them that I was probably bored. I think a lot of high-functioning people like me got "ah, he'll be fine..." or diagnosed as ADHD in the generation or two that followed.

It's only now being recognized, taken seriously, somewhat less stigmatized, and part of a 24 hour news cycle that makes it look like something that's been there all along has suddenly come out of nowhere. When the subject came up elsewhere in a writer's community, there were a half a dozen people who reported being diagnosed as on the spectrum later in life.

In some ways, it's a bad thing. I think a lot of parents with kids on my barely there end of the spectrum are going overboard with treatment, and reinforcing an already difficult time of interacting with the rest of society because they're being constantly reminded that they're "other". What they really need is slight adjustments, such as not engaging in the common good-natured teasing about crushes, understanding that grades in classes with group dynamics such as music and P.E. are probably going to suffer, etc. High functioning kids can work this stuff out with minimal extra parental support and understanding. They don't need to be psychoanalyzed, put in special classes, and the like.

But, I'll digress. Probably getting a wee bit too serious for somewhere that's meant as a relaxation space :)

Working on a story in another of my "worlds" for here. Imagine a ghost trying to scare off new people invading his space, but they have cats. His every effort is blamed on the furballs and ignored. Banging noises in the night? It's the cats. Stuff knocked off the counter? Of course it's the cats. Weird howling noises? Duh.

Dead, and still can't catch a break.

elizabethblack wrote:
Autism is right up there with Alzheimer and Parkinson and MS and others that I sure hope all this intensive work being done with DNA might give us a breakthrough to help these people. so many cases and I don't believe in "they just identified it now - they didn't before" . I don't know the answer but have enough friends and family that have gone through the struggle with not enough help.

Survivor
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 6:38:08 AM

Good cheer, folks. The fresh coffee is brewing. The pup is lying beside me.

We have what looks like an enormous snowstorm moving towards us. This morning it's been wet but luckily it wasn't raining when we took our walk. I'm really not sure what it's going to be like for the rest of the day.

Good luck.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 7:01:05 AM

(S-L-U-R-P) Good coffee, Larry. Morning, Vic. Has your quality of life person been behaving? ;)

That storm heading your way sounds like an unusually bad one. When are the Chiefs supposed the host the Texans this weekend. (slurp)

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Survivor
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 8:07:53 AM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
(S-L-U-R-P) Good coffee, Larry. Morning, Vic. Has your quality of life person been behaving? ;)

That storm heading your way sounds like an unusually bad one. When are the Chiefs supposed the host the Texans this weekend. (slurp)

glasses8

The Chiefs are scheduled to play the Texans on Sunday, the 14th, at 2:05 pm. No telling what the field will be like. Some forecasts are for up to six inches today. Possibly more on Saturday. It is really impossible to predict a couple of days ahead. But it is looking to be clear on game day.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 1:05:45 PM

Hi everyone (hugs)hello1
A large hot chocolate it's Cold outside I had to go to the library.. Need stuff to watch. And I'll I can say is YAY for a remote with the DVD player. Last one I used before the new one had no remote so I couldnt watch any TV shows that didn't have the play all feature. So now I can watch alot more of what the library has.
I found book shaped cookie cutters.
*puts chocolate chip cookies shaped like books in the cookie jar *
*special treats for the little adorable mascots *
Happy Friday everyonehello1

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 4:16:47 AM

Good morning, everyone! Nice to catch up with everyone's news!

Very interesting discussion on the autism spectrum. Totally agree with Dark, that no child wants to be 'different' and over-intervention can be unhelpful.

However, this side of the pond, it can be a huge struggle for parents to get recognition for their child being on the autism spectrum in schools, in order to access the necessary adjustments and help. It can be a hard-fought battle that takes years.

I had a mature student, in his forties, who is so high functioning he only got assessed when at university. During the 3-year course he was firstly diagnosed with Aspergers and then autism. He got some help (not really enough in my opinion) but it was tough-going for him.

Anyhoo, glad Sara got her new DVD player and that's a very sensible decision about the ballet classes, Larry *hugs*

Coffee needed here, please. I'm about to start building a flatpack bookcase. There will no doubt be lots of frustration and swearing involved!
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 6:19:01 AM

Always coffee here in our canister and I'm making some fresh right now. In addition, the tea kettle is always close to whistling.

Nice to see you here, Cynthia. The temperature here is 15F/-9C degrees. The pup does not like it on his paws. I will have to put shovel the snow later today and then put down deicer since there was freezing rain under the snow that came down.

Perfect day for staying in, that is for sure.

flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 9:03:52 AM

Morning, Ms Cyn, Mr. Larry and Victor the cold-pawed pup. ;)

Coffee is a goodness, especially on cold winter mornings.

glasses8

DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 1:20:56 PM

hello1 howdy folks
A large hot chocolate it's cold and windy outside
*looks and sees nothing but cookie crumbs in the cookie jar * good thing I brought a fresh supply of cookies * cleans out the cookie jar and fills it with chocolate chip cookies and red velvet cookies and peanut butter and banana cookies *
*sits out treats for the furry little adorable mascots *
Victor needs doggie booties for his paws

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday

Darkniciad
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 5:57:54 AM

Thank heavens we're in a civilized place where people know to clean out the crumbs before refilling the cookie jar icon_biggrin

One last Tabletop Tale in the queue. I have 4 WIPs open in Wordperfect right now, though I'm trying to concentrate on the one for Valentine's and secondarily on my Earth Day story at this point. As slowly as I write sometimes, those are both in the danger zone of not getting completed in time yet again.
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 6:38:26 AM

Good morning, Lee, and any others trudging in for some fresh coffee. It will be ready soon. Or you can get the tea kettle to boiling if that is your preference.

Today I would prefer not to go outside if I could avoid it. The temperatures right now are 23F/-5C degrees. Victor will often stop, look up at me, lifting a paw and say, "Ah cain't take no mo, Daddy." I've had to carry him home a few times. It's always my pleasure. He's done his duty today so we are good for a while.

I'll check the percolator soon.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 12:49:48 PM

Howdy folks hello1
I got COOKIES!
I always clean out the cookie jar first. *puts in football shaped cookies in the team colors of the play off teams today and chocolate chip cookies *
*sitting out treats for the little adorable mascots *
Quiet day here it's cold outside so it's good to stay inside with hot chocolate and cookies
I'll have a large hot chocolate pretty please
Hope everyone is having a great Sunday
(hugs)

elizabethblack
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 6:05:12 PM

I almost feel like I'm bragging but the last two days have been 70F and sunny. Proof that we are in for catastrophic weather this week. The really terrible thing about warm weather coming after cold is it brings the stink bugs out in the house. They drop all over you, including in your plate of food. I just hope you don't know what I am talking about. I end up putting a napkin over my drinking glass and one spread over my plate. Not that I am paranoid. But if you only knew of their evil smell.

AriesDragon
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 1:20:03 AM

Whilst the northern hemisphere experience winter, here on the equator we are normally well into our dry fire season by now with the temperatures averaging around 30C and climbing. It should be hot and dusty as the land dries out. Instead, we are having daily rains, rivers have burst their banks, the lake in front of us has risen by 2 metres and I'm sat by a heater in my studio, drinking hot tea and trying to warm my fingers. It's 12C at midday and I'm watching the next rainstorm approach across the lake.
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 4:48:44 AM

Storm Brendan is howling about outside here. Winds will be over 60 mph today, so I'm staying in!

I'll grab a coffee to warm me up. Brrr!
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 5:53:25 AM

Staying inside sounds like a sound plan, Cyn.;)

Think I'll try some of that coffee. Did you brew this ambrosia or did the Caffine Fairy stop by in the middle of the night?

glasses8

Survivor
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 6:35:30 AM

I've been working on brewing coffee today. I fear I have a cold. I get them perhaps once or twice a year and it may last for a day. I call it the 24-hour cold.

The coffee will help, I'm sure.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 12:56:38 PM

flower hi everyone
A large hot chocolate pretty please it's chilly outside.
I have cookies for the cookie jar.. *putting in sugar cookies with the LSU TIGERS colors and Clemson Tigers colors. *
*sitting out treats for the little adorable mascots *
Chilly weather is good for curling up with a book and a good movie !
Hophello1 e everyone is having a good day and surviving the weather

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 3:25:56 AM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Staying inside sounds like a sound plan, Cyn.;)

Think I'll try some of that coffee. Did you brew this ambrosia or did the Caffine Fairy stop by in the middle of the night?

glasses8

I think Larry is the Java Wizard around here, Bill! I'll grab another coffee with you. :) We're storm-free today but more high winds forecast for later in the week. Brrr!
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:01:28 AM

Morning, Cyn. Your weather sounds as bad, if not worse, than that here in the States. Stay warm and inside. ;)

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:57:46 AM

Hello, Cynthia and Bill. Always fresh coffee being brewed. At least I try.

I'm off to the dentist today. A filling fell out on Sunday so it needs to be replaced.

flower

Edit: For a newsflash. This just in. Bill and his lady, Roberta, are happy to announce the arrival of their first great-grandson, named Lawrence.

We can toast in coffee, tea, or soda pop if you prefer. toast

elizabethblack
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:39:36 AM

Survivor wrote:
Hello, Cynthia and Bill. Always fresh coffee being brewed. At least I try.

flower

Edit: For a newsflash. This just in. Bill and his lady, Roberta, are happy to announce the arrival of their first great-grandson, named Lawrence.

We can toast in coffee, tea, or soda pop if you prefer. toast

What a momentous occasion! Congratulations to you and Roberta Bill. And don't you love the name Lawrence?

I'm going to have a sparkling water on ice to celebrate

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 1:18:45 PM

flower howdy folks
A large hot chocolate it's sunny but windy outside.. I did not wanna go out but had to go see the doctor to make sure I'm as healthy as a pony

Good to see everyone today
Bill congrats on the birth of your great grandson and Lawrence is a great name!
Cynthia yucky weather... Stay INSIDE!
HI miss Elizabeth good to see you
Larry oh no losing a filling is never ever fun

*puts blue sugar cookies in the cookie jar along with chocolate chip cookies *
Who do I gotta see to get a new cookie jar? I think we need a Cookie Monster cookie jar

*puts out treats for the little adorable mascots *
Have a great day everyone grommit