Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 6:04:17 AM

Welcome, Dark! Looking forward to your contributions. :)

Ooh! Birthday cake!! Thank you, lovely Sara. I'll have a slice with some coffee. :) Hope you had a lovely day.
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:09:07 AM

Good day to all. The coffee is hot from percolating on the stove. I hope all are doing well today.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:24:02 AM

Morning Vic, you too, Larry. Thanks for the coffee -- much needed and appreciated.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Darkniciad
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 9:56:06 AM

We'll see how this next one goes. LOL

Decided to try my hand at micro fiction. Took a couple of minor characters from a much longer piece, and condensed their whole story into 90-some-odd words. For some reason, it all wanted to rhyme.
DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 12:33:16 PM

hello1 howdy folks
I found a new cookie recipe made with hot chocolate and marshmallows and it's called hot chocolate mini marshmallows cookies and they are in the cookie jar
They are yummy
A large sweet tea pretty please
I hope everyone is having a great day

Survivor
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 6:44:51 AM

Hello to the group. Time for therapy? Yep, the coffee is brewing. Time for a cuppa.

Sunday in Mid-America. Should get up to 52F/11C today. Very nice for walking the dog in the park.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 7:24:42 AM

flower *yawns * ugh too early
Too cold.... 20 degrees and I gotta go out in it to read to my wee little fans they want a new scamp adventure today.. They wanna know how the animals celebrate New Year's Eve.
Coffee good. Coffee please
I'm leaving cinnamon rolls on the counter and
Morning treats for the little adorable mascots

I'll be back later. Hugs to all

Darkniciad
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 8:02:31 AM

:: sigh :: Back to a regular work schedule tomorrow after burning up 160 hours of my leftover vacation time between Thanksgiving and today. I haven't worked more than 3 days a week in a month, and had two full weeks off. Not going to be a fun adjustment. It's worth it every year, but going back is sooooo painful. LOL
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 11:45:17 AM

Greetings to all Inspired by the thought of having to use up 160 hours of 'off' time between T-Day and now. Dark's daunting delimma is more proof that life can be cruel to the young and beautiful and a total bitch (nothing personal, Vic) to the rest of us. ;)

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Mendalla
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 12:17:34 PM

Wow. I have had to burn off "carry over" before but never that much in that short a time. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Grey day here, but I've seen worse. Snow supposed to be starting any time, so the worse may yet happen.

Mrs. M and I are now back to being empty nesters after having our son with us for a couple weeks (one away on vacation in Panama, one at home). Probably won't see him again until the semester end in April. He is on a work term with a computer chip design firm so doesn't even get Winter Break this year.

Time for an afternoon tea. Orange pekoe with a wedge of lime squeezed in.

My Stories here:

Voice of Ice (Cosmic Horror)
Night of the Wind (Fantasy)
Lady in the Lake (Ghost Story)

My Poems Here:

On Seeing the Light (Re)born - Revelling in a tropical sunrise
Spooky People - Hallowe'en celebration
Darkniciad
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 12:36:31 PM

Well, I've put in almost 20 years in that salt mine. LOL 10 years at the job before that, split between three different locations. The last week was actually on 2020's time. I always take the first week of the year off as the final hurrah of my pseudo vacation.

It's actually the easiest time of year to get days off. Everybody else has burned every bit of vacation time, sick time, personal days, and everything else by late August, so it's constantly wide open. There are always people who schedule Thanksgiving and Christmas, but rarely any of them with hours left by the time it rolls around, so I take it. Then I schedule every Saturday, horrible days like Black Friday, etc. That's the price they pay for me showing up the rest of the year.

Other than a few awful days like Black Friday, the following Sunday, and the Sunday after Christmas, the hours are always down this time of year as well. I actually make more by staying home than I would if I showed up.

I'll take another week in April, over my birthday and my late wife's. Then I take the July 4th weekend. After that is the long haul to Thanksgiving, other than a schedule change in August which gives me 5 days off in a row.
gillianleeza
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 12:46:54 PM

Popping in for a minute, two of my kids are coming to dinner with their girlfriends. I've made white chicken chili, honey cornbread, a green salad with fresh berries and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

They are hot and gooey, I'll leave some on the bar.

I hope everyone is doing well today.

The not secure message when you login should be taken care of and things are back to normal.

Thanks Gav!!!!!

Cheers!

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
Darkniciad
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 12:55:29 PM

I was just going to remark on that. I suspected that was the case when I saw all the avatars revive from their broken image links, and then no warning when I popped back in this time.
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020 4:40:47 AM

Yay for Gav! Thanks for letting us know, Gill. And your family feast sounds delicious!

Dark, that sounds like an eminently sensible way of dividing up your working year.

I'll grab a coffee and one of Sara's cinnamon rolls before tackling the ironing pile.
Survivor
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020 6:29:24 AM

Hello. I'm off to the dentist today. Lovely day for dental work.

I just put away a bunch of shirts that were freshly ironed. I was down to my last long-sleeved shirt in the closet. Now I'm good to go.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020 1:59:03 PM

flower howdy folks
Yay for Gav fixing the problem.!
Yay for chocolate chip cookies
As of right now my dumb dvd player decided to up and die on me (HOW RUDE) and I can't replace it til tomorrow I refuse to pay 29.99 at dollar general when I can get it at Walmart for 24.99 plus tax

I'll amuse myself until then hello1
Special treats for the little adorable mascots

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:43:02 AM

Greetings and where the hell is the coffee? (grumbles and mumbles while rinsing out the coffee pot and getting a new batch cranked up). Got some doughnut holes for those into holiness.

glasses8

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:50:42 AM

So sorry, Bill. I was walking the dog. Thanks for the coffee. I'll have a cup right now.

Thanks for the sweets, Sara. We love them.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 11:58:13 AM

hello1 howdy folks
A large hot chocolate sounds good right now.
I have COOKIES for the cookie jar today...
*chocolate chip and peanut butter and banana and hot chocolate cookies with itty bitty marshmallows *
Hope everyone is having a great day
Me I'm not adulting today I think jammies and cartoons are in order flower
We so need this cookie jar...

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 12:03:58 PM

That's a perfect cookie jar. Thanks, Sara. flower

gillianleeza
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 2:36:17 PM

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 4:51:10 PM

gillianleeza wrote:
A great cookie jar Sara. I need to make these. Have to keep that new cookie jar filled.

Ooo baby Yoda cookies! Yay!

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 4:51:48 PM

Survivor wrote:

That's a perfect cookie jar. Thanks, Sara. flower

You're welcome

I love cookie monster

elizabethblack
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 5:10:30 PM

So excited that Jeopardy has a tournament going with the 3 all-time highest scoring contestants of all time. This is night one of three nights. I love seeing people that think they are as smart as I know I am. (no, of course I never exaggerate)

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 5:22:43 PM

elizabethblack wrote:
So excited that Jeopardy has a tournament going with the 3 all-time highest scoring contestants of all time. This is night one of three nights. I love seeing people that think they are as smart as I know I am. (no, of course I never exaggerate)

Yep, we know how bright you are, dear lady. Just watching the gentlemen try to achieve your status. geek

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:08:03 PM

elizabethblack wrote:

Jeopardy is my MOST FAVORITE game show
I used to like the Price is Right til they screwed it up with too many changes after Bob Barker retired

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 5:02:12 AM

elizabethblack wrote:

Enjoy, lovely Elizabeth!

Hope the dental work went well, Larry and that you got your DVD player, Sara!

I'm loving those baby Yoda cookies, Gill!

Coffee for me, please. Have a few things due to be delivered today so I'm trying to plan my day so I can get out and manage to catch at least one of the deliveries!
Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:17:33 AM

For some reason, I'm really tired today. I had to have a lie down after making coffee.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 10:12:55 AM

hello1 howdy folks
A large coffee would be great. Getting ready to leave in about an hour or so to go grocery shopping and to go to lunch .
I have cookies for the cookie jar : *red velvet cookies and white chocolate chip cookies *
And special treats for the little adorable mascots

Today should be a good day
My new DVD player should be here between now and 9pm
Yay for overnight delivery .
Happy Wednesday everyone

Darkniciad
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 11:42:46 AM

Overnight is too slow for me when it comes to replacing a DVD player. My son is autistic/non-verbal, and though he's only watching it about 10% of the time, one of his things is having to have a movie playing constantly. Naturally, that's hard on the player. If it stops working, he can't really comprehend why, and the ensuing frustration at the break in his routine more or less lasts until a working DVD player is once again in place. After the first time, I learned to keep a new one ready to go, and immediately replace it as soon as I have to switch out for a broken one.

Same thing for the discs, but he seems to be willing to reluctantly watch something else when one of them fails.

I'm seriously considering buying him his own computer and loading it with digital copies, since he's quite competent with navigating via a mouse. It will probably be cheaper in the long run than the physical media replacements. Tried using his Ipad in that capacity, but he wasn't interested. He will watch movies on my computer though. Still a risk that it will sit there gathering dust if I buy him one of his own. You never know with him. So, I'm still mulling it over.