Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 8:19:11 AM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Larry, who's the seedy character behind the counter whistling something that sounds vaguely like the old Rick Nelson 'Traveling Man' tune? Sure hope it's not that nosy inspector from the health department. ;)

glasses8

Bill, there is no telling who will trundle into this dive on any given day.

I'm working on my second cup of coffee. Still more available.

It's a quiet Sunday after a gentle rain last night. Nothing planned for the day. flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
Mendalla
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 10:52:30 AM

Sunday and it's quiet here. Stole some brownies from another place I hang out. Enjoy. * puts on the kettle *

I like to write something a little eerie or spooky for Hallowe'en every year. "Haunting" is what I went for this year.

Lady In The Lake
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 2:15:01 PM

Hello everyone. Ooh, brownies! A cup of tea to go with one would do nicely! :)
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 3:34:02 PM

I have some tea presently while my dinner is cooking on the stovetop. Tamales for dinner tonight.

Have a great evening folks.

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
Mendalla
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 7:02:28 PM

I'm feeling lost and adrift once again. It seems to happen a lot. Nothing engages me. Nothing arouses me. I just go through the motions.

I like to write something a little eerie or spooky for Hallowe'en every year. "Haunting" is what I went for this year.

Lady In The Lake
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 10:43:00 AM

Mendalla, he wrote: I'm feeling lost and adrift once again. It seems to happen a lot. Nothing engages me. Nothing arouses me. I just go through the motions.

Me, I wrote: Sounds a bit like a classic Mid-life crises, imo.I'd pass along a 'sure cure' but damn if I've ever found one. Hang in there.

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

fuzzy1954
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 11:33:48 AM

Look what Iv'e brought over.......

Survivor
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 2:40:28 PM

We took a nice drive around the countryside. Past an airplane graveyard and some places that we had looked at in the past as possible homes.

The pup was just a little champ not being fussy in the least, simply happy to be on the road.

Having some tea for the afternoon before dinner. I do think some tea would do you good, Scott.

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 1:44:58 PM

It's the afternoon so I'm brewing a cuppa tea. I'm watching the cable news and twitching from the horrifying stuff I'm seeing.

Be well, all. flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:52:30 PM

Shopping was okay . great company so it balanced out !
Larry Victor is always such a great pup !
He's my favorite doggy
**climbing up in my favorite chair with my sweet tea leftover from a late lunch**

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:57:37 AM

Howdy, y'all. There's a fresh pot of coffee I brewed my own self and a kettle of hot water for our tea sippers.

I'm gonna leave a box of Slim Jims along with a piggy bank (seemed appropriate) on the counter. There's no charge for the Sim Jims, but any revenue today will go directly into the moderator vacation fund so donate freely knowing it's goining for a good cause. ;)

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:35:17 AM

I'm gonna have one last cuppa java. Thanks, Bill.

I've been working on reading a story. It takes me forever to read these long ones. I prefer them to be less than 3,000 if possible. The one I'm reading is over 7,000. But it's a friend so I'm trying to give her some support.

Tomorrow is a busy day. First, in the morning, is a ballet class. Then, in the afternoon, it is my immunotherapy. Just enough to fill the day.

Those Slim Jims look tasty, Bill. flower

Mendalla
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:18:42 AM

* puts out some pumpkin spice scones (yes, it's a thing and it's delicious) and brews an Earl Grey *

Having a couple warmish days here, but Fall will be back to stay. Summer does indeed seem to be over here.

Lady In The Lake
Survivor
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:36:55 AM

Starting on my second cup of coffee. Almost time to leave for dance class.

The newly painted black iron fence looks nice out the window.

Try to have a good day, all. flower

darrenrobertbennett
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:01:38 PM

I'm just sitting here thinking about my story about MIT while the reputation of MIT is getting trashed by its association with a convicted pedophile. How's your day?
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:28:38 PM

Darren, some days ya can't win for losing, imo. BTW, I haven't forgotten your wanting more input from someone wise and patient or me if none of the others are available.

One suggestion I'm prone to passing along is to check out 'On Writing' by Stephen King. Even if your not into horror, the guy has put together a breezy, readable, and informative book.

glasses8

Survivor
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:18:12 PM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Darren, some days ya can't win for losing, imo. BTW, I haven't forgotten your wanting more input from someone wise and patient or me if none of the others are available.

One suggestion I'm prone to passing along is to check out 'On Writing' by Stephen King. Even if your not into horror, the guy has put together a breezy, readable, and informative book.

glasses8

Darron redid his opening chapter with some work on his dialog. It looks a lot better to me. It's time for bed here in Kansas.

The was a hooting owl up in the power lines just now, sending us off to bed.

Survivor
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 9:06:42 AM

The morning is passing. I'm working on my third cuppa java. That will be all for me today.

I'll do some proofreading today as the day progresses. That will keep me busy. I've been using Grammarly recently. I'm not really sure that it is better than just using my own knowledge quite yet. I'm sort of testing it since it was free to download.

Cheers. flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 9:30:32 AM

Greetings, Larry and all ships at sea. Me, I got a late start today (well, slower than usual) so I'm trailing you in the mugs consumed category. Thanks for reminding me about Darron. IMO, he has the potential to be a first-rate fiction writer once he has mastered a few of the storyteller's tricks.

BTW1, let me know what you think of Grammarly.
BTW2Has the new multi-chapter feature you and Gav worked on been ported to SS?

Now let me empty the coffee pot and I'll get another one cranking.

glasses8

Survivor
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 9:42:30 AM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Greetings, Larry and all ships at sea. Me, I got a late start today (well, slower than usual) so I'm trailing you in the mugs consumed category. Thanks for reminding me about Darron. IMO, he has the potential to be a first-rate fiction writer once he has mastered a few of the storyteller's tricks.

glasses8

Morning, Bill. You aren't up too late considering it is about 9:35 where you are.

The thing I notice most clearly with Grammarly is the one thing I really wanted was for it to correct my usage (or misusage, as the case may be) of commas. However, I see that I can sometimes put in a comma and Grammarly will consider it fine. Then I can remove the comma and it still thinks it is fine. It might simply be that a comma is appropriate in either case. I'll be watching it.

About the series feature that Gav added, I am not sure when he will add it here. I may test it with a small series I have on-site here. I'll let you know if it is working here. He has often not given us the same features here on SS. And he sometimes forgets to fix some ongoing problems. Primarily because this site is not his priority, I suppose.

flower

darrenrobertbennett
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 11:52:54 AM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:

glasses8

Well that's encouraging! Thanks for the kind words! This is literally my first time writing fiction, and you're viewing a virtually unedited copy, so there's only one way up from here. Once I get the whole story out, I will definitely go through it all with a fine toothed comb. Thanks again!
Survivor
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 1:30:33 PM

Just stopping by for some afternoon tea. Something herbal without caffeine.

I just saw the cast list for The Nutcracker here in town. I have been cast as a merchant for the opening street scene and then an adult in the party scene. It will be my sixth time in this local production of the ballet. Rehearsals are starting in October.

I completed my proofing today and the stories are being looked at now, I would think.

See you later. flower

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:50:38 AM

Good day to one and all. I'm working on my second cuppa java right now.

Just let the pup out for his morning in and out. We will take a walk at noon.

I think I may have some time to work on the challenges here. I'll see what inspirations come my way.

flower

Edit: Bill, Gav has not added the series application to our submission panel here. I just checked in the story submission panel and it is not there. That will have to wait, I suppose.

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 1:46:48 PM

Larry, thanks for the 'heads up'. I'll make a note of all that in the mod forum to alert Maggie. Thanks for the coffee and scratch Vic's ears for me. ;)

darrenrobertbennett
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 4:37:24 AM

Good Morning Everyone!

Just sitting with my coffee reviewing my writing. Up to 11,300 words now. I have the whole plot in my head, just working out the details to make the events flow smoothly. I've been hoping to call it a novel, but I'll be lucky to get to 20,000 words. The story will decide how long it is, but I feel the need to go back and flesh out some scenes. Hope you're all doing well!
Mendalla
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:12:01 AM

darrenrobertbennett wrote:
Good Morning Everyone!

Just sitting with my coffee reviewing my writing. Up to 11,300 words now. I have the whole plot in my head, just working out the details to make the events flow smoothly. I've been hoping to call it a novel, but I'll be lucky to get to 20,000 words. The story will decide how long it is, but I feel the need to go back and flesh out some scenes. Hope you're all doing well!

Good luck. I am having trouble even getting one started these days. If you're posting here, may want to look at breaking it into 2-3 chapters, BTW. People seem to prefer shorter bits on SS these days.

Lady In The Lake
darrenrobertbennett
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:39:56 AM

Mendalla wrote:

Good luck. I am having trouble even getting one started these days. If you're posting here, may want to look at breaking it into 2-3 chapters, BTW. People seem to prefer shorter bits on SS these days.

Yeah, I noticed short posts get more traffic. If I have future stories, I'll keep that in mind. This is my only story at this point. I used to think that in order to have a story, I would need to know each character, have a complete outline of events, and make that framework before beginning. This time, I had an idea and a basic outline in my head. I know benchmarks I need to reach along the way, but the details and people are coming to me as I write. It's a very organic process that I'm finding a lot of fun. I get to watch the events unfold as if I'm watching it on television. I even find myself wanting to know what happens to them in the next scene!
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:58:13 AM

Good morning Darren, Scott. Just got some fresh coffee from the pot to get started today.

One thing new members need so know is how to get their stories on the All Picks list on the home page. Your story will only be selected by the system to be there if you first have at lease ten votes on your piece. It is easy to see that not a lot of stories are able to do that.

You may get views from guests just stopping in to see what is new in the reading list. But you won't get many votes unless the person scoring knows you and likes your work. What I'm saying is so many new authors come here, start posting stories, and wonder why they have had few if any comments. Very little response.

The answer is fairly simple. Most people won't read your work if you're not taking the time to look into theirs. That is one reason why friendships are formed, and people follow each other. I hate to see people come and they seem to leave after posting a story or two. They're not getting the response they crave. But it can be a reciprocal thing here on our site.

Time to do my morning computer chores. flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 2:21:04 PM

Larry, in the 'first thing first' department, would you mind sending Molly a PM with info about the new multi-chapter organizing feature you helped Gav design? She has not heard about all that.

Darron, Larry is approximately 100% correct (as usual) about the realities of vote accumulation on this and most other writing boards. To wit: to get votes and comments, give votes and comments. You might start with doing all that to some of the stories on the first and second page which have gotten to nine votes but then got stuck there, one vote below the ten needed for 'Story Pick' status

Now this is weird, while pausing to contemplate my next words to inflict on unsuspecting SS readers, something posted my incomplete message. Being a mod, I could and did edit and complete the entry. No big deal, but that's has happened before. Odds are it's the fault of: 1. my old computer and/or keyboard, 2. my screen reader fussing with the SS software package or, 3. more proof that to err is Rumple. So I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to them?

glasses8.

fuzzy1954
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 2:33:30 AM

Morning to all that shall pop in today

Coffee hot and waiting everyone.

Just back from a 903 mile bike ride though the Ozarks and around Harrison Arkansas.
Being old (as dirt) my butt is flat and dead lol

Peel Ferry the last ferryin the state of Arkansas.