Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Mendalla
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:38:54 AM

CuriousAnnie wrote:
Can I post this, a voice from the south. Thursday evening and the southerly change rolled through. The temperature dropped from around 38 degrees C to about 26 degrees C. Such welcome relief as it has been so hot and humid today. And the heat and humidity of February still in front of us. Hope you all have a good day, and if you can send some snow down our way, please do so.

-25C when I drove to work this morning so if you can send those degrees you shed over here, I'd be much obliged.bunny

Tea. Hot. Any flavour will do as long as it is hot.

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
Spooky People - (Poetry) A playful verse for Hallowe'en.
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
DenimAngel
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:01:51 AM

I'm curl up in a fluffy chair with my cup of cocoa

gillianleeza
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:43:20 PM

henrietta_fielding wrote:
Wordpusher715 wrote:
gillianleeza wrote:

It was a long day but I finally finished cleaning out my parent's attic, sheds, and utility room.

I'm too old to be carrying things down three flights of steps.

Cheers!

I want to spare my children that experience and haven't figured that out yet. I've thrown out most things purchased in my twenties and thirties. I'm less successful with "stuff" from my forties and fifties. Am open to anyone's wise advice on this.

More tea and honey, please. Is there a small piece of lemon cake around?

Gill, you are doing a sterling job! Not easy at all. (hugs)

Stuff just gathers! I'm not a hoarder and pretty good at throwing old things out but all the same, it just seems to grow on its own!

I'm making a lemon and ginger tart tomorrow, if you can wait that long! 🍰

Definitely a morning for coffee, please. ☕

gypsy wrote:
Wordpusher715 wrote:
gillianleeza wrote:

It was a long day but I finally finished cleaning out my parent's attic, sheds, and utility room.

I'm too old to be carrying things down three flights of steps.

Cheers!

I want to spare my children that experience and haven't figured that out yet. I've thrown out most things purchased in my twenties and thirties. I'm less successful with "stuff" from my forties and fifties. Am open to anyone's wise advice on this.

More tea and honey, please. Is there a small piece of lemon cake around?

Gill that is a huge achievment, good for you! It sounds like you could use some time at a spa now, if you enjoy massage etc.

Wordpusher, you've likely heard of the clutter-busting craze going on at the moment, and the whole "does it spark joy" thing. If something doesn't "spark joy" apparantely it is supposed to be gotten rid of. help

The sparking joy thing puzzles me, and my take is rather, if something sparks irritation in me, then it is quite likely time to get rid of it.

I had an aunt who set up a rule, if something new came into the house, something old had to be gotten rid of. She was rather ruthless about it, too, which had my cousins sneaking things in when she wasn't looking. geek

A massage or any spa treatments would feel wonderful. Not sure what muscles I use to carry things down the stairs but obviously they are not ones I generally use.

When I come home after dealing with my parent's house I take a critical look at my own house. It is amazing how many things you accumulate over the years. I am pretty ruthless about clutter in my house so it is tidy and everything has a place. The same can not be said for the attic, the yard sheds, and my husband's workshop. I joke with my grown children that one day they will have to go through all of it. One piped up and said no they wouldn't he was going to set it all on fire when we are gone. He was kidding (I hope).

I think it is true that whatever size space you have it gets filled up. My parent's house is four levels with a huge attic, three sheds, and an inground pool. It is a bit of a daunting task but we are making good progress.

Now to tackle what furniture will go with them, what they will sell and what to put in storage for their grandkids to have.

We haven't had any snow just some serious cold. I'll be curled up on the couch in the corner with some lemon and poppyseed scones I made earlier. I made enough to share.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Cheers!
Mendalla
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 8:47:28 AM

Slightly warmer today but still shiver-inducing. Sipping an orange pekoe and waiting for the weekend to officially begin.

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 11:32:14 AM

Curled up in my favorite chair with a nice cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows and a candy cane as a stir stick

Wordpusher715
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 5:07:49 AM

The winter weather is improving today. Hazelnut coffee, please.

I live, I love, I perform, and I lament.
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2019 5:16:54 AM

Warm enough to rain here - which means it's above freezing!

Earl Grey tea, here, please. ☕
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2019 11:37:35 AM

Today I pulled out a very old percolator coffee pot, just for the hell of it and to see how it tasted.
Yuk!! The coffee tasted weak and scalded. I'm going back to the old espresso machine. d'oh!

And on that note, I'll have a double Ristretto, please. thumbup

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Mendalla
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 10:35:14 AM

Gorgeous (by February standards) here today. Supposed to get chilly again soon, though. Currently planning to flee to warmer climes on my wife's break week (university prof).

Green tea for afternoon sipping.

Featured Story:

Other works:
Mendalla
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 10:37:03 AM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
Today I pulled out a very old percolator coffee pot, just for the hell of it and to see how it tasted. Yuk!! The coffee tasted weak and scalded. I'm going back to the old espresso machine.

My son, the family coffee gourmet, prefers pour-over or French press but I imagine he'll get an espresso machine when he's working and has money. Right now, he's in university and living in an upper year residence.

Featured Story:

Other works:
Wordpusher715
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 12:42:26 PM

Coffee, please. The roads are iced. Sand truck slid sideways down a hill. Slipped into a ditch and turned over on its side like a dinosaur. Driver okay. Truck is being looked at. Sixty miles of road to sand, two sides of road makes that 120 miles with one truck. It is going to be a long day for that driver.

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 1:16:27 PM

Mendalla wrote:
My son, the family coffee gourmet, prefers pour-over or French press but I imagine he'll get an espresso machine when he's working and has money. Right now, he's in university and living in an upper year residence.

I prefer the pressure machines, Esspresso, Nesspresso. The pressurised water brings out more flavour and provides a thicker, creamier, more intense flavour. The cafetiere(French press?) and pour overs require far too much coffee for my level of taste.
I only drink very strong, black. A Starbucks fillter with two additional espresso shots is my usual. evil4

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
gillianleeza
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 1:56:58 PM

It was sixty degrees today and might hit seventy by Thursday. Welcome to weird weather Virginia.

I've never been a coffee drinker so I can't contribute to the conversation.

I'll have my usual ginger ale to enjoy curled up in a cozy chair until the next family crisis rears its head. Hopefully not tonight, I want to go to bed early for a change.

Cheers everyone!
Mendalla
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:18:39 AM

Freezing rain, freezing rain, purposeless and causes pain. At least that's my feelings. And we're getting it. Schools closed (but not the university or community college).

Kettle is on. I'm making a pot of Earl Grey. Anyone else?

Featured Story:

Other works:
Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:39:45 AM

My coffee is percolating. No precipitation yet, although freezing rain is forecasted.

Time to stay inside with a hot cuppa java. rr
DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 9:12:08 AM

I agree .. It's cold and wet here too I'm not going out at all today .. I'm staying in with my hot chocolate and under my warm blanket

Wordpusher715
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:08:36 AM

Hot tea, Cinnamon Orange, please. For those of you with bad winter weather like me:

Cold wind and lonely hills,
Ice crystals sparkle in bare trees,
Stinging nettles pelt my face,
Giving me winter’s wheeze.

Cold sun and grayish clouds,
Wind sounds gargling without tune,
Crackling ice upon the trees,
I hear Winter’s ‘Good Afternoon’.

coffee

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:38:15 AM

Mendalla wrote:
Freezing rain, freezing rain, purposeless and causes pain. At least that's my feelings. And we're getting it. Schools closed (but not the university or community college).

Kettle is on. I'm making a pot of Earl Grey. Anyone else?

That'll do nicely, thank you. Might need a re-heat, though!
Collapsed_Universe
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 8:00:59 PM

It's a lot of fun, it's a lot of fun
It's a lot of fun!
Making coffee is a lot of fun
Coffee is a lot of fun!
If you like drinking coffee
Then you should have some!
It's a lot of fun, it's a lot of fun
Coffee is a lot of fun!
Coffee!!

Cheers and props to Tom Green on Big Brother this season!
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:32:40 AM

After wild windy weather, it is curiously mild and calm this week. Not complaining, just suspicious! ;)

An Earl Gray tea would do nicely, please. :)
gillianleeza
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:53:17 PM

It's warm and mild here today as well. Going to be warmer tomorrow then possible snow on the weekend.

Having a quiet Valentine's at home. We've both been sick so we are going to watch a movie and try not to cough on each other.

I'll have a hot toddy to soothe my throat and hopefully minimize coughing.

Have a good night everyone.
fuzzy1954
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 6:27:36 AM

It's a cool 18 degrees F or -7 degrees C.
snow on the way

ice melt .. check
snow shovel .. check
boots hat and gloves .. check
HOT pot of tea .. DAMN yes help

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 7:31:21 AM

The winter is with us this week. Snow yesterday and more coming this week.

The coffee has brewed so I can get started with a cuppa java. rr
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 9:51:31 AM

Strong coffee please. I just heard of the sad passing of the German actor, Bruno Ganz. Such a superb actor.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/downfall-actor-bruno-ganz-dies-at-77-1187453

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 11:28:07 AM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
Strong coffee please. I just heard of the sad passing of the German actor, Bruno Ganz. Such a superb actor.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/downfall-actor-bruno-ganz-dies-at-77-1187453

The only movie I recall seeing him in is Wings of Desire.

fuzzy1954
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 10:52:04 AM

what my dreams are today

Wordpusher715
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 5:23:23 PM

Too many responsibilities. Send a cup of chamomile my way.

gillianleeza
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 1:18:38 PM

It's a holiday today, which explains why there were so many people at the store. That and a forecast of possible snow on Wednesday. People here overreact to snow forecasts. I haven't been snowed in for several years. So I don't know why everyone is out buying bread milk and toilet paper.

I needed stuff since I haven't been to the grocery store since I came down with the flu. Apparently, everyone else living in my house forgot where the grocery story is. Sigh...

I'll have a ginger ale and curl up under a blanket and try to get some reading done.

I've given up on writing for the time being.

Cheers Everyone!

fuzzy1954
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 4:22:12 AM

I am glad you are felling better Gill
enjoy this ginger ale.. this was always my go to when I was feeling bad as a child.

sun shine and hugs are on your horizon hello2

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 3:27:10 AM

Hope you are recovering, Gill and managing to rest today.

Despite a chilly wind, it's been very spring-like here this week. It can't last!

Earl Grey tea here, please.