Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Mendalla
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 12:21:46 PM
Mendalla

DenimAngel wrote:

Today is the 14th anniversary of the mass shooting on the Virginia Tech campus 32 people died and 23 were injured.
Seems like April has a lot of tragedy anniversaries in it .

It's been that long, has it? I remember following that on the news Vibes.

Do Americans know about the Ecole Polytechnique Massacre in Montreal in 1989? 14 dead. All were women. The killer was specifically targeting women. We are still commemorating that one (Dec. 16, I think) over 30 years later. Kind of puts the lie to Canada being the place where these things don't happen. They do, just not as often.

On a cheerier note ... nah, I can't think of anything cheery today. My province is going to hell in a handbasket due to COVID (case numbers rising faster than vaccination programs can keep up with) and we're waiting to see if the government will actually do something effectual about it. At least my wife got the shot (Pfizer) and didn't have a reaction like she does with flu vaccines.

Green tea and some of the apple cinnamon whippersnappers would go good.

The Goddess Dances - Winner - Cheers to 10 Years Flash

The Berry Girl - Third place - Summer Word Bank
verbal
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 12:52:18 PM
verbal

Talia and I and a good friend of ours all just got our first shots! Second shot on May 7th!

And here's a shocker: the Mets were rained out yesterday, and are snowed out today. That's SEVEN postponed games so far this season.

Oh well, they are in first place, so I'll quit complaining. At least there will be a double header tomorrow. Weirdly, they will play with the DH. Not sure why - worried aout injuries to pitchers I assume.

Coffee and a Phizer chaser please. No cookie today (oh, okay, fine, I'll have one).

rolandlytle
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 2:19:29 PM
rolandlytle

Mendalla wrote:
DenimAngel wrote:

Today is the 14th anniversary of the mass shooting on the Virginia Tech campus 32 people died and 23 were injured.
Seems like April has a lot of tragedy anniversaries in it.

Do Americans know about the Ecole Polytechnique Massacre in Montreal in 1989? 14 dead. All were women. The killer was specifically targeting women. We are still commemorating that one (Dec. 16, I think) over 30 years later. Kind of puts the lie to Canada being the place where these things don't happen. They do, just not as often.

Hi everyone. hello1

Mass shootings are a subject I follow. Most Americans do not realize how prevalent they are. As of April the 15th, there has been 24 mass shooting in the US in April alone. This April, 40 have died, including 4 of the shooters, and 94 have been wounded. That is more than 1 mass shooting a day. 5 of the shootings involve more than 6 people, and the latest was in Indianapolis with 9 dead, including the shooter, and 5 injured. No country in the world even comes close to this level of gun violence. The worst thing about it is that I do not know of any simple solution to this problem.

Not all April memories are bad. Yesterday was Jackie Robinson Day. All the players wear his number 42 on their jerseys on that date. He was a great player and a great person, much as Hank Aaron was. Aaron passed away last winter.

BTW Carlos Rodon pitched a no-hitter on the 14th. His perfect game was ended in the 9th inning with one out. He hit a batter on the foot, and that was his only baserunner of the game.

I will get some green tea to go as my wife just got home from work, and I need a hug. love7 love3

You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
elizabethblack
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 5:45:11 PM
elizabethblack

Survivor wrote:

I hope you enjoyed the coffee shop in the middle of the night, Gill. It is always easy to make a cuppa tea here. Now that I am up and around I will be making some coffee.

I've thoroughly scrubbed the percolator and filled it will tap water from the Kansa River. I've also put in some of the Arabica coffee I used here in the shop. It goes well with Sara's cookies. She still has plenty of them in her cookie jars. I'm certain they will not all be gone before the boys are here today.

I submitted a little microfiction this morning. I hope it will entertain everyone. I am happy to see it up and published. It just happens to be the 500th story I have published here on Stories Space. That is quite a pleasure for me. Along with my Plenary Award I received for writing in all of the categories SS offers. I think everyone can assume that SS is an important writing space for me. I surely dream of the day it will be just as important to many other folks.

flower

Wow! Congratulations on the 500th story here. You are something - handsome, sweet and full of writing talent. And you have written a story in EVERY category. Gosh. I need to try to get something written.

elizabethblack
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 5:48:46 PM
elizabethblack

DenimAngel wrote:
flower hi peeps
A beautiful day here
The birdies are chirping and the sun is shining

Seems like April has a lot of tragedy anniversaries in it .

Thanks for this reminder Sara. My nephew was a freshman that day. Talk about horror. Way up there as one of the worst massacres by gun. Can only shake my head at what is happening. Whistle

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2021 6:19:37 AM
Survivor

Good morning, Inspirators. Coffee is ready as is the hot water. The tea kettle is proud to make you some tea or cocoa. I saw plenty of Sara's cookies still awaiting your approval.

flower

This was my 500th work here on Stories Space. Enjoy it, please.

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/micro-fiction/-a-perfect-holiday-.aspx

Here is my latest work. My thanks for checking it out.

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/-its-only-makebelieve-.aspx

DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2021 11:05:20 AM
DenimAngel

flower hi everyone
A beautiful day here in my neck of the woods
A rough start to my morning so coffee would be great

Hope to get some writing done but who knows after what happened this morning.

*peeking in the cookie jars and grabbing a couple of cookies*
*Giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats*
Taking my coffee and cookies then moseying over to the corner and climbing up in my favorite chair*

Hope everyone is having a great day !

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2021 12:57:49 PM
henrietta_fielding

Hello everyone! Life got a bit busy there, so it's good to get the chance to pop on here, having caught up with all the stories in my inbox!

Hope everyone is doing okay and it's been good to scroll back and catch up with the news. I'll grab a cuppa and some of Sara's delicious cookies, as it would be rude not to!
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2021 5:43:46 AM
Rumple_deWriter

Welcome to all in need of inspiration, cheap coffee, and Sarah's cookies. If that inclues you, you've come to the right place.

Took it upon me, myself, and I to rinse out the coffee maker then fill it with water from Lake Woebegone and the coffee I came across under the counter. Enjoy.

Once the coffee's cooked, I'll fill my mug, grab a handfull of Sarah's cookies and grab a corner comfy chair to consider life and the infield fly rule.

Later, Inspirators. glasses8

It happened at a church summer camp so it must be true, right? ;)

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding[/url]

Survivor
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2021 6:16:47 AM
Survivor

The coffee smells fine today, Bill. I'll have a cuppa java if I may.

I really need to do some serious writing soon or I will miss out on a contest. As it is I have about three weeks to get it written. I have no doubts that I have time, I simply need to dredge up some creativity and get it done.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2021 11:52:09 AM
DenimAngel

Hi everyone
A large iced coffee would be great
My nose is all stuffy ...dang spring cold.
Got the allergies under control and this happens ..ugh
Can't smell a blasted thing

Today's offerings are sugar cookies shaped like : baseballs, paw prints, monkeys , lions, elephants and bears
*Moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies*
* Giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats*
* Taking my coffee and climbing in the nearest chair and settling in*
Have a great day everyone

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2021 1:01:36 PM
henrietta_fielding

I'm trying to make a habit of popping in here more often. It might be because of Sara's cookies! I'll grab a handful of those and a cuppa. Hope all the Inspirators are having a good Sunday!
verbal
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2021 3:49:01 PM
verbal

Hey everyone!

Good job making the coffee Bill. And Henrietta, always a delight to see you in here.

Talie and I just got back from spending the night in Denver with friends. The Mets were in town too, for a double header, but we just watched the games at a bar because it was WAY too cold to go to the actual game in person. We split the games: lost one, won one.

Got another story rejected. Wah. Haven't published a damn thing in 2021.

But Talia is making supper, and after that I will kick back and watch the rubber game of the series through the magic of archived games on MLB.TV, so all ie well in the world.

I'd love an iced tea and... *steals ALL the cookies and sits in the corner with Molly the monkey, eating them*
rolandlytle
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2021 6:13:20 PM
rolandlytle

I just got back from watching G vs. KK with my oldest grandson, Joel. It was what I expected, and we both enjoyed the ape vs. lizard fights. Liz is mad at me for buying popcorn because it is so expensive.

MLB.TV has changed its viewing UI, and I do not care for it, but what can I do. The Cubs finally won again by knocking the Braves around. The Cubs should have an elite batting order, but they are ranked at the bottom three in NL in most offense categories.
(last in AVG, 14th in OBP, 13th in SLG, and 14th in OPS)

I was considered a top coffee maker in the Navy. It would be best if you only washed a coffee pot about twice a month. You are just washing out the wonderful flavor; at least, that is what I was taught. <giggles madly>

I am glad Henrietta is back.

It is always a high point every day I get to drop by. You are all such fantastic people.

Drink some herbal tea and sit awhile.

You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Survivor
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 6:23:37 AM
Survivor

It's quite easy to make enough coffee for this crew here. We seldom get more than half a dozen visitors on any given day. But we do hope that will change. So, I will scrub out the large coffee maker and fill it will water from the Kaw River. Then I'll select one of the fine-tasting treats from the local grocery aisles to find a decent French Roast. Coffee will be ready soon, friends. Never fear, there is plenty of hot water as well for the astute tea drinkers. The tea kettle is always, always on.

There was a fun weekend of baseball with the series between the Padres and the Dodgers. The Dodgers and the Padres played 30 innings of baseball over the weekend. They were only separated by two runs or fewer in all but three of them. Friday's game lasted 12 innings. There were 17 pitchers and four ties. Saturday's game ended on a Mookie Betts diving catch with the tying run in scoring position. Sunday's game wasn't decided until the bottom of the eighth. The Dodgers won 2 of 3, but the Padres took the series finale to snap their seven-game losing streak against them.

The Friars are not gonna give the season away.

flower

Mendalla
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 9:22:52 AM
Mendalla

rolandlytle wrote:
I just got back from watching G vs. KK with my oldest grandson, Joel. It was what I expected, and we both enjoyed the ape vs. lizard fights. Liz is mad at me for buying popcorn because it is so expensive.

I will probably end up watching it on my TV. Theatres closed here and I am not sure I am going to wait until they reopen, esp. once I watch G:King of the Monsters.

IIRC, last time I saw a movie in a theatre, I was taking my son and some friends to a Disney or Pixar movie of some form and only bought goodies for them. Theatre food is insanely expensive.

Popping by for tea and ... hey, where are the cookies? * gives verbal and Molly the stinkeye *.

The Goddess Dances - Winner - Cheers to 10 Years Flash

The Berry Girl - Third place - Summer Word Bank
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 9:47:29 AM
henrietta_fielding

Thanks for the welcome back, all!

I tend to wait until movies come on the tv anyway, but that sounds fun, Roland!

Hope Verbs and Molly have saved a cookie for me! It will go nicely with a cuppa!
DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 9:56:22 AM
DenimAngel

flower hi peeps
A beautiful day here
A large coffee would be great today
Feeling a little better

* Peeking in the cookie jars* not even a crumb...
Never fear i have more cookies
In Big Bird we have chocolate chip cookies oatmeal raisin cookies, butterscotch crunch cookies and pecan divines
In Cookie Monster we have chocolate chip cookies, ginger snaps , butterscotch crunch cookies and angel kisses

Jeff I bet you have a tummy ache ...

"Giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats*

Have a great day and do something that makes you happy

verbal
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 10:15:43 AM
verbal

Molly the monkey and I have brought cookies!

She felt bad about stealing them. I mostly felt bad because of the ensuing tummy ache. But whether due to high morals or gastrointestinal distress, we decided to give back to the coffee shop that greets us each morning.

We aren't as gifted as Sara, so only made simple sugar cookies with icing. But the icing is in all sorts of groovy colors, and we drew pictures!

That was a good series Larry. The Dodgers are gonna be a monster this year, and the Dads made that series close. Mets didn't do to poorly either.

Okay, time to write.

Coffee and a cookie would make my day.
DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 10:44:02 AM
DenimAngel

verbal wrote:
Molly the monkey and I have brought cookies!

She felt bad about stealing them. I mostly felt bad because of the ensuing tummy ache. But whether due to high morals or gastrointestinal distress, we decided to give back to the coffee shop that greets us each morning.

We aren't as gifted as Sara, so only made simple sugar cookies with icing. But the icing is in all sorts of groovy colors, and we drew pictures!

That was a good series Larry. The Dodgers are gonna be a monster this year, and the Dads made that series close. Mets didn't do to poorly either.

Okay, time to write.

Coffee and a cookie would make my day.

Thank you and Molly for bringing cookies. Sugar cookies are great and they are so cute with the pictures you drew on them.

Hugs good job with the cookies .. they are tasty !

rolandlytle
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 3:43:00 PM
rolandlytle

Hi everyone! hello2

Every day is a new challenge, good and bad. My youngest grandson, Gabriel, had a fun dinner sneaking two pieces of bacon off my plate. He did not know I saw him as he gobbled them down, and he was so happy. Gabriel loves bacon. He is like me with daily challenges; he has severe non-verbal autism. He is the joy of my life. Happy with life with intermingling fits of frustration.

Sara's Mets played the Cubs this weekend in an explosive set of games. Saturday, the Cubs smashed the Metros 13-4, but on Sunday, the Mets came right back, pummeling the Cubs 13-4. It was a symmetrical weekend. Larry's Padres may have lost the series to the Dodgers but showed how talented the team is. They could win the central division, but unfortunately, the only team better than them is the Dodgers. I think the Padres are the favorite to be the NL wildcard team. If you want to watch a young, exciting team, the Whitesox are just what you need. They are where the Cubs were in 2015 with better pitching.

Jeff, did your cookies have pictures of pitchers? It would fit in with your love of baseball and your talent at wordplay. occasion5

Sara, I am so glad to hear about your improvement.
BTW peeps are not the tasty chick treat, are they? If so, I will eat them all up. I am almost addicted to those little buggers. <rubbing hands together hungrily> icon_biggrin laughing6 laughing6 laughing3

Getting my cuppa and lounging as I read stories on SS.

(edit) Happy Birthday to AriesDragon #45.

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 4:41:46 PM
DenimAngel

rolandlytle wrote:
Hi everyone! hello2

Every day is a new challenge, good and bad. My youngest grandson, Gabriel, had a fun dinner sneaking two pieces of bacon off my plate. He did not know I saw him as he gobbled them down, and he was so happy. Gabriel loves bacon. He is like me with daily challenges; he has severe non-verbal autism. He is the joy of my life. Happy with life with intermingling fits of frustration.

Sara's Mets played the Cubs this weekend in an explosive set of games. Saturday, the Cubs smashed the Metros 13-4, but on Sunday, the Mets came right back, pummeling the Cubs 13-4. It was a symmetrical weekend. Larry's Padres may have lost the series to the Dodgers but showed how talented the team is. They could win the central division, but unfortunately, the only team better than them is the Dodgers. I think the Padres are the favorite to be the NL wildcard team. If you want to watch a young, exciting team, the Whitesox are just what you need. They are where the Cubs were in 2015 with better pitching.

Jeff, did your cookies have pictures of pitchers? It would fit in with your love of baseball and your talent at wordplay. occasion5

BTW peeps are not the tasty chick treat, are they? If so, I will eat them all up. I am almost addicted to those little buggers. <rubbing hands together hungrily> icon_biggrin laughing6 laughing6 laughing3

Those little tasty marshmallow chicks are addicting I love love them
Giggles
Thanks for sharing about your grandson

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 3:35:41 AM
henrietta_fielding

Glad Gabriel enjoyed those sneaky slices of bacon, Roland! He sounds like a wee dote, as we say over here.

I don't think I've come across marshmallow chicks! But will happily grab some of Sara's delicious cookies (and some of Verbs' sugar cookies, for fairness) to go with my morning coffee.
Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 6:18:30 AM
Survivor

Good morning, dear Cynthia. I'll make certain you have plenty of water for your teakettle and fresh coffee as well. Victor and I looked outside today and discovered the ground was covered with wet snow. Not a lot. The sidewalks were actually cleaned off since the air was warm enough for it to melt off. I expect all of the white stuff will be gone sometime today.

flower

verbal
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 9:54:01 AM
verbal

rolandlytle wrote:
Hi everyone! hello2

(edit) Happy Birthday to AriesDragon #45.

Thanks for the compliment of being talented at wordplay, but I am not talented at anything art related. I'm sure Molly is better at drawing than I am. I just sploosh frosting on top and move on. Very cool to hear about Gabriel, the joy of your life, and his love of bacon. Good on you, Roland.

Snow on the ground, yet again.

Mets game tonight, if it doesn't get snowed out. We have a tenuous hold on first place, entering today.

I'd love a coffee and a delicious cookie. I bought Molly a healthy can of monkey chow, so she doesn't spoil her health with all these cookies.

I DO see several stories to read here. I'll get to them shortly.

Time to write.
gillianleeza
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 11:54:02 AM
gillianleeza

Roland, your grandchild has good taste. Anyone who steals bacon I can relate to.

I confess I love Marshmallow Peeps. They are quite despised, but for some reason, they appeal to me, which is why I never bring them into the house. For years The Washinton Post would have a Peeps Easter diorama contest. The entries were amazing and so funny and clever. I'm sad they stopped that tradition.

It's another beautiful day here, except for the continued pollen. This weekend we are going to go and eat with my parents in their dining hall. It has been closed, and all meals were delivered to their apartment. They are slowly reopening things, and since we are fully vaccinated, we can dine with them if we bring our vaccine cards. We've had meals with them in their apartment, but they love eating out. My mother is very excited. It's a combination of several upcoming celebratory dates: my birthday, their 60th wedding anniversary, my mother's, and my husband's birthday. April and May are very busy months in our family. They will still have social distancing precautions in place, and we will wear masks when not eating.

I'll bring their favorite desserts—Lemon Meringue Pie for my father and Chocolate Mousse for my mother.

I hope everyone is having a good week so far.

Cheers!

I've included pictures of two Peep dioramas. One a restaurant doing "Peepside" pickup the other depicting a hockey game.

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 12:06:56 PM
DenimAngel

Hi everyone
A beautiful day here
A large iced tea sounds yummy

Oh my goodness those peep dioramas are the cutest
Gill it is so AWESOME that you get to go eat out with your parents

Jeff Molly says thank you for the can of monkey chow

*Peeking in the cookie jars* still in good shape!
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats*
*Taking my tea and cookies moseying over to the chair in the corner *
Stay safe everyone

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 6:17:24 AM
Survivor

Good morning. The coffee is in the percolator being brewed. It should not be long now. I hear the front door opening so Victor is home from his walk.

It sounds like a regular holiday you will be celebrating, Gill. I know your parents are so excited. It is lovely for them, indeed. The world may get back to normal someday.

flower

verbal
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 10:05:03 AM
verbal

Gill, I adore you, but your love of Peeps is disturbed and wrong. :) I'm glad things are working out with your parents. That was such a long road for all of you.

And hey, Larry, I just now saw the 500 stories thing! Congrats. I'll wander over to that thread next.

Mets lost a boring game yesterday, to the Cubs. Still have a tenuous hold on first place, but come on boys! Score some runs!

I'll avoid being political, but I will say that lately, when things looked dark in the US, it was the courts who pulled us through, as they did with the verdict yesterday. Democracy lives for another day. God bless America.

Coffee please. And a cookie. And whatever that cute lil monkey wants!
DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 10:59:34 AM
DenimAngel

flower hi everyone
A large iced coffee sounds good right about now
A beautiful day here not much going on.

I have fresh cookies today
*Moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies*
In Big Bird we have White chocolate supremes, peanut butter and banana cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies and apple cinnamon whippersnappers
In Cookie Monster we have white chocolate supremes, chocolate chip and banana cookies, apple cinnamon whippersnappers, pineapple coconut whippersnappers

* Giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats*
Hope everyone is having a great day !