Find your next favourite story now
Login

Image gallery bug? Or just some kind of lag?

last reply
3 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Crazy old ape
0 likes
I noticed that the cover image on my poem On Seeing the Light (Re)born was upside down, a problem that I thought I had fixed back when I posted it. The image was also upside down in the gallery. I deleted it from gallery and re-uploaded a fixed copy, but the upside down one reappeared. And here's where it gets interesting: There are two human figures on the upside down one, but they are cropped out of the new copy I was trying to upload. It's as if the old image is still there and comes back if the new image has the same filename. So, I renamed the fixed file and, lo and behold, it was upright when I uploaded it so I made it the cover image. But why was the old image still there after I deleted it and why did it reappear when the new file had the same name (instead of overwriting it with the new file)? It's fixed for me so this is just an FYI at this point.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Oh, and before anyone asks, you can't find the poem because it is being re-verified due to me fixing the cover image.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
You have a good question. Unfortunately, I don’t have a good answer, because my answer is: I don’t know what caused the problem. My guess would be that the old file was scheduled for deletion but not actually deleted, so when you uploaded a new image with the same filename, the system found and used the original file. Of course, my explanation might be wildly off base. Gav could tell us what really happened.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal
My guess would be that the old file was scheduled for deletion but not actually deleted, so when you uploaded a new image with the same filename, the system found and used the original file.

I think you are right about the old file not yet being deleted - it seems to me I had that problem at one time, and had to allow time for the system to catch up with things.