Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Importance of Judicial Pruning of one’s Personal Catalogue of Stories Options · View
Kavyansh
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 2:16:31 AM

After considered reflection I have pruned the number of my stories on StoriesSpace from 74 down to the 27 that I think are worth reading again. I have included my only Recommended Read, so obviously my judgement is less discriminating than the moderators, although of course I am biased. I have also included the poem I entered in the recent Dirty Martini competition, but I intend to post a revised version at some future date that replaces all the awkward phrases that were included solely because of the conditions of the competition.

There are 16 poems and 11 stories, most of which have received fewer than 5 votes, although the average score is 5 for all 27. As Halloween is approaching I have included my only Gothic romance “Blood of a Lamb”. The other significant event this autumn is the 100th anniversary of the Armistice that brought the carnage of the First World War to an end, and I have included my only war poem “A Soldier’s Memory”.

In July 2017 I published the first part of a fairy tale, but my inspiration ran out and I have never completed it. If and when I do manage to write a concluding chapter I will restore the hidden section, although I will probably take the opportunity to revise it.

I apologise to anyone who favourited any of the stories or poems that are now hidden, but I must ask that my decisions are respected. In the first flush of excitement when a story or poem is completed it is easy for the author to believe that it is better than it appears to be after the passage of time permits a more considered assessment. This is true of much that I have written, nearly two thirds in fact. A satisfaction rate of one in three isn’t too bad I suppose.

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Hebrews 4:12
elizabethblack
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 7:10:02 PM

Dear Keith, this makes me very sad. I look forward to reviewing the stories and poems you have left. I love everything you write. We have co-written a lot together. I am hoping that you will bring some of my favorites back.

Wordpusher715
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 5:10:01 AM

I understand the pruning aspect. I haven't done it yet but will likely remove or revise some of the early items. There are ghosts of thoughts in the first crafting that I see but others don't. When read later, the ghosts are not there and I suddenly realize the connections and expressions that were once so vivid are now disconnected or vague. Many times I simply hit Publish too soon. I should be more disciplined about it but the joy of creation exceeds the joy of excellence in my case. Color me premature.

I live, I love, I perform, and I lament.
Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 10:16:31 AM

I don't have enough on here to worry about as of yet but I keep pondering doing some "weeding of the stacks" as we used to call it in my librarian life on a certain other site. Just can't decide what basis to use. I mean one could go by views but some of my least read stories are favorites of mine and I kind of like to leave them out there for that reason.

I like to write something a little eerie or spooky for Hallowe'en every year. "Haunting" is what I went for this year.

Lady In The Lake