How far from home?

last reply
17 replies
2.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
I was doing a little reminiscing the other day about places I have been and I remembered that some thirty years ago, when serving with The RAF I was posted to Port Stanley on the Falkland Islands for four months.
Therefore, During that time I was almost 8000 miles away from my home and my young family!
So, the question is this;

What is the furthest you have been away from your home and family, for how long and why?

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Anna, congratulations for your service and wow! that is such an amazing distance. I have to say my farthermost point would be Aberdeen Scotland from Washington,D.C: 3,481 miles/5,602 kilometer (if I figured the converter table correctly)
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Having flown to Great Britain in the 80s, that was the farthest I traveled at one time. It was 4,271 miles from Columbia, Missouri to London, England. We were there for a month, traveling about on a Britrail pass. Staying in B&Bs.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have made a number of long trips, though nowhere near as far as Anna - i had a friend who actually went to the Falklands for a holiday and could only get there on an RAF flight, and I have another friend who served there as a teacher for a few years. Most of my long trips have been in association with a Rotary project or activity.

Delhi, India 4223 miles - in 2009 for two weeks to take part in a polio national immunisation day.
Memphis Tennessee 4228 miles for a month in 2013 as leader of a Rotary Group Study Exchange team.
Dhaka, Bangladesh 5012 miles - in 2006 for a week in my role as International Chairman for Rotary in Great Britain and Ireland, to look at the work of the Impact Foundation and to visit the Jibin Tari, a floating hospital ship.
Bangalore, India 5081 miles to take part in a mega limb camp in 2015 for two weeks as a board member of Rotary Jaipur Limb and to visit limb centres in Bangalore, Mysore and Kerala.
Los Angeles 5281 miles in 2004 for a week of training as a Rotary District Governor.
Osaka 5837 miles in 2014 for two weeks to stay with the family of a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar I had mentored in Manchester for a year.
For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Hebrews 4:12
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I've been to the Falkland Islands - RAF jet from Brize Norton about 7904 miles direct flight, not the friend that KoH speaks of above.
Also been to Sydney Australia - a cool 10,553 but not a single hop.
Many trips to South Africa - another 8,276 miles.

I also drive 5 minutes to work!

All of these have been with work - some pleasure.
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by Martin
I've been to the Falkland Islands - RAF jet from Brize Norton about 7904 miles direct flight, not the friend that KoH speaks of above.
Also been to Sydney Australia - a cool 10,553 but not a single hop.
Many trips to South Africa - another 8,276 miles.

I also drive 5 minutes to work!

All of these have been with work - some pleasure.

I was fortunate. I flew BA! The Tri-Stars were being prepared for service but were not quite ready so The RAF chartered a Boeing 747. The service was great.
For the return, four months later the first trial flight of the Tri-Stars had been a failure and so, once again, British Airways and we got the same service as the normal passengers except that no alcohol was permitted.
They were the best flights I ever experienced since they were only about two thirds capacity and most people smoked then. I didn't so non-smoking was almost empty!

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have traveled from Boston, MA, USA to Macau (Ao Men) China, which is 7, 913 miles. I was there and other places near it for 6 weeks. I used to make tapes for my kids of the sounds of what each place I visited sounded like. They loved it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Reading this made me feel rather strange and very nostalgic.

I left Perth, WA, for boarding school in England which was a trip of 9,143 miles. But to get from home, which was a station in the top end, to Perth was a initial trip of 2,240 miles. So all up 11,383 miles. Amost 9years away, except on school holidays I came home twice and twice to Sydney (10,708 miles).

Since then work has me calling NYC home. Currently in New Zealand for 7months working here, Australia and the Pacific Islands. Came NY - Milan - Paris (4months) - New Zealand. That was just over 16,000 miles. Have to admit I really love travelling and am very fortunate to have a job that demands it.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
The furthest I have been from "home" would be China (not sure which of the several places I've been is furthest offhand). Longest I've stayed is 5 weeks. It's more complicated than that because, while it is far from my home, it is my wife's homeland and my in-laws are quite welcoming when I go so I don't always feel that I'm far from home.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I never had a trip like Anna, but I did have one similar to Liz. Scotland many years back. Glasgow, Aberdeen, Braemar, Edinburgh. My favorite place during the entire trip was Inverness.

I would return in a heartbeat.
"Them ain't no militia, that's the Army of the Potomac!"
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by hayley

I left Perth, WA, for boarding school in England which was a trip of 9,143 miles. But to get from home, which was a station in the top end, to Perth was a initial trip of 2,240 miles. So all up 11,383 miles. Amost 9years away, except on school holidays I came home twice and twice to Sydney (10,708 miles).

Since then work has me calling NYC home. Currently in New Zealand for 7months working here, Australia and the Pacific Islands. Came NY - Milan - Paris (4months) - New Zealand. That was just over 16,000 miles. Have to admit I really love travelling and am very fortunate to have a job that demands it.

You, Madam, have travelled further than anyone I know with the possible exception of my cousin (now retired) who lives in Auckland and used to work for an international bank and travelled constantly to Europe, Asia (including Russia) America and the UK. Her children now reside in the US, NZ and Aus. By the time you retire I imagine you will have far exceeded her miles. Also, she used to come to visit us in the UK using the Many AirMiles she accrued through her work.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by meredith
I never had a trip like Anna, but I did have one similar to Liz. Scotland many years back. Glasgow, Aberdeen, Braemar, Edinburgh. My favorite place during the entire trip was Inverness.

I would return in a heartbeat.

Strange, isn't it, how so many people find a place where they are truly happy and yet cannot return.

0 likes
Being former Navy in the US, I have traveled way too many places all around the world. Let us just say that on one trip I returned where I started the long way, meaning we circumnavigated the globe. I was on board an aircraft carrier and this was before all the luxuries of the current Navy. We didn't have wi-fi and tvs and pool tables. We worked and slept. That was our job. So how far away from home? I don't know the exact miles around the equator but it was far and long.
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by Jimwillhavefun
Being former Navy in the US, I have traveled way too many places all around the world. Let us just say that on one trip I returned where I started the long way, meaning we circumnavigated the globe. I was on board an aircraft carrier and this was before all the luxuries of the current Navy. We didn't have wi-fi and tvs and pool tables. We worked and slept. That was our job. So how far away from home? I don't know the exact miles around the equator but it was far and long.

That is awesome, Jim. So about 13,000 miles approximately, bearing in mind that once you pass that point you are then getting nearer to home.

I wonder if we have any Astronauts as members...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing
Quote by hayley

You, Madam, have travelled further than anyone I know with the possible exception of my cousin (now retired) who lives in Auckland and used to work for an international bank and travelled constantly to Europe, Asia (including Russia) America and the UK. Her children now reside in the US, NZ and Aus. By the time you retire I imagine you will have far exceeded her miles. Also, she used to come to visit us in the UK using the Many AirMiles she accrued through her work.

Air miles are awesome things Anna biggrin
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think the furthest I've been is NYC from Australia, with the odd visit in Hawaii and Canada. I needed a break from work and family so treated myself to two deserving weeks 😂😂 Apologies, I have no idea the miles I would have traveled. I tend to travel a lot between Australia and NZ too and visit the Pacific Island every three years, but they are close. Next trip is UK and Canada this year. I've never looked at travel in miles, sorry. ☺
Terrestrial Mermaid from Outer Space
0 likes

1, 974 km as a donor/volunteer for an outreach program at the southernmost tip of the Philippines for about a week. I should be travelling overseas next year to visit someone about 7, 700 mi away but it seems it's best to totally cancel it.