How to tighten your writing

last reply
2 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you have trouble eliminating unnecessary words you might find this short article helpful.

It's interesting how much writing has changed over the years. It definitely seems to be a case of less is more these days.
Administration
0 likes
Yes, I am guilty of verbosity as well. Sometimes more can be said by saying less.

It is really hard to cut your own words though, so I suggest you find someone with "fresh eyes" to review your work and do the cuts. As writers we tend to become too attached to our words. You always have a fave phrase or a few well chosen (and well intended) words that you think are brilliant. It is hard to just cut them out. It's like being expected to amputate your own limb... hand the saw to someone you trust and keep an open mind when reading their feedback.

May I just add that although tightening your writing works for prose, it doesn't always work for poetry.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks Lisa,
Several good tips presented, and useful links are provided on the bottom.
(One more bookmark added)
Please read A Gilded Cage and tell me what you think... Really!