Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What Are You Celebrating Now? Options · View
Survivor
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:21:48 PM

August 9th, 1945 - Atom Bomb Dropped On Nagasaki
1945 : The United States dropped its second atomic bomb killing more than 70,000 people in Nagasaki, Japan. The first bomb had been dropped 3 days earlier on Hiroshima. Six days later on August 15th, Japan announced its surrender effectively ending World War II. Japan signed the Instrument of Surrender on September 2.

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 1:28:21 PM

Today is August, 11. It is called by some Ingersoll day.

Ingersoll Day celebrates Robert G. Ingersoll, a nineteenth-century orator who advocated for free thought—the conviction that reason and science, not religion, should shape beliefs. Besides being one of the most notable freethinkers in US history and lecturers of the nineteenth century, he was also a supporter of abolition and women's rights. Known as the "Great Agnostic," Ingersoll was born on today's date in 1833, in Dresden, New York.

He was denounced by many religious adherents and preachers, although he was friends with some, such as Henry Ward Beecher. Although he was a Republican, he was also friends with other progressives who weren't necessarily from that party, such as Eugene Debs and Robert La Follette. He also was friends with Mark Twain, H.L. Mencken, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
AriesDragon
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 4:23:31 PM

It's World Lizard Day
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2018 1:55:20 PM

This date in 1920 Women achieved the right to vote with a constitutional amendment in the United States.

18 Aug, 1920 - 19th Amendment

1920 : The 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution proposed on June 4th, 1919 and ratified when Tennessee became the 36th state to approve it on this day in history guaranteeing women the right to vote, the fight for this right by the women's suffragette movement for 10 years had forced this change.

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 6:34:23 PM

On August 22nd, 1950...

Althea Gibson became the first black tennis player to be accepted into a national competition in the United States.

AriesDragon
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 10:17:52 AM

Its International Bat day (or night)

Survivor
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2018 9:29:27 AM

This is Labor Day Weekend. The actual Labor Day, here in the United States, is on Monday, Sept. 3rd this year.

hayley
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2018 1:31:00 PM

September the 2nd is National VJ Day isn't it? Well if you are in the US that is. It's the day in 1945 that Japan signed the official surrender document on the USS Missouri.

On a lighter note, it's National Blueberry Popsicle Day. That these two events share the same day is strangely profound.
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2018 3:04:34 PM

hayley wrote:
September the 2nd is National VJ Day isn't it? Well if you are in the US that is. It's the day in 1945 that Japan signed the official surrender document on the USS Missouri.

There is a small controversy about V-J day. You are right, in a way, Hayley.

Some history books show that the original V-J Day was on Aug. 15, 1945 (Aug. 14 in the U.S.). That was the day on which Japanese forces surrendered, when Emperor Hirohito went on national radio and announced Japan's unconditional surrender.

That announcement came on the heels of the bombing of Hiroshima, the Soviet Union's declaration of war against Japan, the bombing of Nagasaki, and a brief military coup in Tokyo.

But the U.S. Army Center of Military History recognizes V-J Day on Sept. 2 of the same year - the day on which Japan formally signed surrender documents aboard the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay.

But, in any case, it is celebrating the end of a conflict, which is always a good thing.

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:13:49 AM

Remembering.

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 2:44:00 PM

International Day of Democracy 2018 — September 15

Celebrated all around the world, in democratic societies. This is surely something we need to remember well, in this time.

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 2:32:32 PM

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 7:44:18 AM

I would have supposed many more of the writers around here would have noted that today is National Coffee Day.

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 12:11:00 PM

LarryFNigh wrote:

The Royal Air Force's 100th birthday was back in April. and just to celebrate, here are four actual aircraft that I helped maintain back in the eighties!

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 12:36:16 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
LarryFNigh wrote:

The Royal Air Force's 100th birthday was back in April. and just to celebrate, here are four actual aircraft that I helped maintain back in the eighties!

This was great fun to watch, and, my, my, my, you worked on them! So impressed. Really, really, really. hello1

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 3:22:07 PM

LarryFNigh wrote:

This was great fun to watch, and, my, my, my, you worked on them! So impressed. Really, really, really. hello1

From '80 to '86 I was a Gas Turbine engineer on the F4 and those four were four of the ones I maintained. I found this clip by chance a few days ago. It brought back so many wonderful memories. I also spent three years on C130 Hercules but that is another tale...thumbright

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 1:45:54 PM

1st October 1946 Germany's Deputy Fuhrer, Rudolph Hess - captured in Scotland after mysteriously parachuting from a plane during World War II - was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, October 6, 2018 8:25:35 AM

Today I commemorate and remember the death of Matthew Shepard.

On the night of October 6, 1998, Matthew met Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson at the Fireside Lounge in Laramie, Wyoming. McKinney and Henderson decided to give Shepard a ride home. They subsequently drove the car to a remote, rural area, and proceeded to rob, pistol-whip, and torture Shepard, tie him to a fence, and leave him to die–all because he was gay.

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 2:05:39 PM

IN REMEMBERANCE

On October 23, 1983, 241 U.S. service members, most of them Marines, were killed in a suicide truck-bombing at Beirut International Airport in Lebanon; a near-simultaneous attack on French forces killed 58 paratroopers.

fuzzy1954
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 2:57:58 PM

1861 Washington D.C.
President Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus for all military related cases

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2018 2:56:54 PM

In the United States, Navy Day is commonly celebrated on October 27th. This date was selected as it was the birth date of President Theodore Roosevelt, an avid supporter of the U.S. Navy. In the 1970's, research determined that the birthday of the U.S. Continental Navy was October 13, 1775. At the time, efforts were made to move Navy Day to this date. However, Navy Day in the United States, is still largely recognized as October 27th.

On Navy Day, give some well deserved attention to your proud U.S. Navy, and to the sailors who serve our country.......Salute!

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2018 3:07:50 PM

Black Saturday. October 27th 1962 The nearest the world has been (so far) to triggering a nuclear holocaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2018 5:27:16 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
Black Saturday. October 27th 1962 The nearest the world has been (so far) to triggering a nuclear holocaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis

This is a fascinating date to remember. Because it is so easy to get to that point. I actually remember this going on when I was young.

Survivor
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 7:51:53 PM

The end. On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. Armistice Day. 100 years ago today.

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:51:09 AM

* World Hello Day *

World Hello Day on November 21 is an unofficial holiday created to promote world peace through interpersonal communication.

Say "hello" to everyone you meet on World Hello Day.

The unofficial holiday was created by Brian and Michael McCormack as a response to the Yom Kippur War between Israel and a coalition of Arab states led by Egypt and Syria in 1973.

The purpose of World Hello Day is simple – to encourage communication and dialogue between people of different backgrounds in order to achieve peace and understanding.
Since its beginning in 1973, the day has been celebrated around the world annually with several Nobel Peace Prize winners and peace activists taking part in it.

How to Celebrate?
World Hello Day asks that participants greet at least 10 people. These people can be family and friends, but it is suggested that one finds strangers to greet and talk to.

Did You Know…
…that hello was used as a telephone greeting for the first time by Thomas Edison?

November 21, 2018 – Other Holidays this day

The Prophet's Birthday – Afghanistan, Australia, Burkina Faso, Bahrain, Benin, Canada, and 38 more …
Dayton Peace Agreement Day – Bosnia and Herzegovina
Repentance Day – Germany
Armed Forces Day – Greece
Dignity and Freedom Day – Ukraine

Survivor
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2019 1:36:39 PM

Today is the annual Tamaseseri Festival (January 3) celebrated in Hakozaki Shrine, a Shintō shrine in Fukuoka, Japan.

elizabethblack
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:41:13 PM

1957 - The Hamilton Watch Company introduced the first electric watch.

Look closely and you will see one in this picture of someone-or-other........

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 4:42:19 PM

Students take a holy bath to celebrate the Magh Purnima religious festival in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:29:37 AM

Let us all celebrate the birthdate of an icon, a wonder, legend in her own time. January 19th is the birthday of Janis Joplin.

Sugarbaby
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 5:10:13 AM

Larry's and Robert's birthday.