Writer's Block Club

last reply
4 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
1 like
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I know it may be considered a silly topic for a forum, but its one we've all dealt with.

I thought perhaps we might have a place to post our current struggles in writing. Just a place to vent might help you get over that impasse that blocks your creativity or motivate you to start again. You might be having plot or character problems. Maybe someone will see your post and suggest a solution that worked for them. Who knows.

For me, I currently have several stories and poems I'd like to tell. A few are quite long. It's just finding the motivation to sit down and putting them to paper that I am finding difficult. It's not like I don't have the free time, I do. Now short little stories, or little inspirational pieces, I have no trouble in with those.

Hell, I even had trouble sitting down and composing this post! Just ask Kari. We had discussed the possibility of this forum topic over a month ago!!

One other thing, if you have suffered from this malady in the past, why not share with us what you did to get your writing grove back.
"Them ain't no militia, that's the Army of the Potomac!"
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Hi Jim;
I know exactly how you feel. It's my motivation for me too. I think sometimes I get burned out, so I usually wait it out and all of a sudden I am back. Meanwhile I walk around and feel bad about it. So it's nice to be able to come here and spill! (still not getting the feeling for the next book/part of Nikos story....sigh, but I will come sooner or later)
Thanks for putting this forum up.
Hugs
Kari
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Alright, I'm writing a dystopian fiction novel. I know the next big event and around when it'll happen but between now and then the main character is basically just recuperating and training. I want to share some of that with readers because it is a vital piece of the story in its own way, but I don't want it to drag on either and I've never really written a story where the character needed to heal prior to moving on with their goals. They may have needed to finish other smaller goals first, but it was never a big pause between point A and point B.

I'm currently dealing with a block related to writing that "pause" in a way that still keeps a reader engaged and allows them to learn more about each character as well.

Any tips?

💓 Melissa Etheridge - PULSE ( for orlando victims ) 💓 - YouTube

As always, kindness is free, so please consider that when replying to someone rather than the alternatives. You never know what's going on in their life that you may not see. Love, Light & Blessed Be, friends.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Colors_of_the_Wind
Alright, I'm writing a dystopian fiction novel. I know the next big event and around when it'll happen but between now and then the main character is basically just recuperating and training. I want to share some of that with readers because it is a vital piece of the story in its own way, but I don't want it to drag on either and I've never really written a story where the character needed to heal prior to moving on with their goals. They may have needed to finish other smaller goals first, but it was never a big pause between point A and point B.

I'm currently dealing with a block related to writing that "pause" in a way that still keeps a reader engaged and allows them to learn more about each character as well.

Any tips?
Hello, I’m no writer but if I’m reading this correctly it looks like you are trying to fill some time between main events. If so, perhaps he has a car accident. He winds up in hospital, not too serious though. Whilst there he re-evaluates his life and the choices he’s made. Perhaps he meets someone in hospital who gives him pause to thought. Anyway, just an idea. Regards, Verity
Primus Omnium
1 like
It might be a good time to simply use narrative to tell the reader what the character is training for without describing it. For instance, if one has never been in the military service and gone through Basic Training it is not a great idea to try and describe it. But you certainly can use this downtime to have the characters interact through dialog and this technique allows you to build their personalities and characters in the mind of the readers.