NaNoWriMo 2011

last reply
19 replies
7.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Are any Stories Space writers taking part in this year's NaNoWriMo?

November is National Novel Writing Month and all over the world people are challenging themselves to write 50,000 words in 30 days.

It all starts tomorrow (or today depending on what time zone you're in)

If you're taking part, let us know what you're writing and how you're getting on. If you're not taking part but want to, you can still register and get writing, even after the challenge starts.

I'm going to be working on a supernatural thriller/mystery called Mime, a story I've had brewing for a couple of years now. Find me on the NaNoWriMo site as "Chrissey"
Blog | Twitter | Website - The Great Escape

My new four part novella, The Star Coin Prophesy is now
available to read on my website, The Great Escape:
e2ZeQHyELydH DphdhpCccL3x
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Hey Chrissey...I think Karl might be...I know he had mentioned the possibility on Facebook, but I'm not sure he's going through with it...

I think it's a very noble thing...and God Bless any and all who dare partake...and may the Force be with you...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Administration
0 likes
I might give it a shot, but not for submitting to them, purely as a challenge to myself.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
I might give it a shot, but not for submitting to them, purely as a challenge to myself.

There you go Yas...we'll all be here cheering you on...

Administration
0 likes
I'd hold off on the cheering if I were you.... I failed miserably at the last challenge I set for myself.

So that's around 2k words? Does it have to make sense? Because I could do 2k words in under an hour.... just saying...

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd

So that's around 2k words? Does it have to make sense? Because I could do 2k words in under an hour.... just saying...

2k in a day...not 2k total for the month...

Btw, if you can do 2k in under an hour...you certainly got me beat...I know from a lot of experience, that it takes me about an hour to write a page in Word...

I believe 2k is about three pages in Word, if not slightly more...hmmm, hold on...

Yeah, 2k runs about four pages, give or take, depending on the amount of dialogue and such...I would say it would generally take me about four hours to come up with that...

So...hmmm...that means 500 words per hour...by my calculations, it should take me about 100 hours to write a 50k novel...

Sound about right? Damn, if I drink enough and stay up for four days straight...

Hmmm...got me thinking now...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've joined up too on the spur of the moment. I've decided rather than a novel I'm going to write a whole lot of short stories that total 50,000 words. It might be just the motivator I need.

Or I might crash and burn. We'll see.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yay, Lisa that's a great idea. There are lots of people who take part with projects other than novels. You even get your own section on the NaNoWriMo forums called "NaNo Rebels"

Good luck with your stories. Have you got any idea what they will be about yet?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MissAdventure
Yay, Lisa that's a great idea. There are lots of people who take part with projects other than novels. You even get your own section on the NaNoWriMo forums called "NaNo Rebels"

Good luck with your stories. Have you got any idea what they will be about yet?

No, I didn't even know I was joining in this year until I read your thread and decided to give it a go. I'm just going to start writing and see where it takes me.

Your idea sounds like it'll be interesting. Have you done much planning in preparation for the kick off of NaNoWriMo?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I tried Camp NaNo in August with an unplanned story and ran out of steam at 30k. This time I'm going in with a substantial outline. It's a story I've had on the back burner for about two years and I have a whole notebook full of brain storming, plot development and character profiles etc.

My outline is pretty detailed up to about the half way mark then I have a skeleton plan for the rest. I'm aiming for around 85k total.

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Wow, you got big plans there Chrissey....

Lisa...good luck with that...

There's a NaPoWriMo I found out today...it's the poetry version where the idea is to write a poem a day for 30 days...

Of course, a truly disciplined writer would not need all this stuff...any truly disciplined writers in the house?

Don't all raise your hands at once...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Scratch truly disciplined, I need to to be truly inspired to churn out the pages.

NaNo is good for motivation more than anything else. Encouraging each other, setting goals and keeping track of your progress.

Administration
0 likes
The story I'm working right now is set to be around 30k.... of course I could always try to be verbose...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't have enough time to write a short story let alone a whole novel(sigh). I find it hard enough to try balance real life with work life without adding in my literary life to the mix. I've tried just to churn stuff out and the result is that my work is substandard and uninspired. I'm a 'seats of the pants' writer so I find it very hard to plan a whole novel out. I just normally have a general direction, begining and ending.
New Poem out

The Observer
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hey Louise, you can be a rebel too!

How about setting yourself a writing goal which is achievable in the time you have? That way you can join in with the spirit of the challenge with your own personal challenge.

I've pantzed before too. I do love just letting a story evolve. This whole outlining thing is actually a bit of an experiment for me to see how I get on with it.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MissAdventure
Hey Louise, you can be a rebel too!

How about setting yourself a writing goal which is achievable in the time you have? That way you can join in with the spirit of the challenge with your own personal challenge.

I've pantzed before too. I do love just letting a story evolve. This whole outlining thing is actually a bit of an experiment for me to see how I get on with it.

hmmm perhaps...Tell me how the whole outlined method goes for you as you're going along. I'm interested to see if a pantser(ha ha) can change into a planner.

I have a series I really need to finish and my laptop is fixed ,so I'll do my own ' Finish my AD 'series by the end of the November challenge. It's getting to novel proportions and needs editing and rewriting in places. Plus a few new chapters.
New Poem out

The Observer
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I can't really do it. I can easily go over 2k words.

www.szadventures.com

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Managed 1333 words on day 1. Not quite the daily target but not too far behind. Given I had a splitting headache most of the day I call that a win. How's everyone else's start gone?

Rest in Peace
0 likes
There is a no-fee contest for those doing the NaNo thingy...

Submit the first chapter of your NaNoWriMo novel. We know
it probably won't be your best writing--after all you'll be busy
with an entire novel's worth of material--but the rawness is part of
the fun, and everyone will be on the same playing field.
PRIZE: $50,$25.

The NaNoWriMo '11 Contest - Writing Contests | Scribophile, the online writing group for serious writers
[url=URL: http://www.scribophile.com/contests/nanowrimo-11-contest/]URL: http://www.scribophile.com/contests/nanowrimo-11-contest/[/url]

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Here's another contest for you NaNo people...

Another NaNo contest...for best opening line...makes me wonder how they would know if you actually bothered to write the rest of the book?

NaNoWriMo Writers Contest
[url=http://]http://nanowrimocontest.com/[/url]

Actually, I could probably handle writing one sentence in a month...just saying...