Solstice Story Competition

last reply
51 replies
11.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It’s finally time for a new competition here on Stories Space.

Your submission needs to either be under the Children’s, Flash, Poetry or Song category. All other ones will be rejected. Ensure you read the restrictions under those options before submitting.

As well, we want the stories to take place during the December Solstice. Use your imagination and show us how you would interpret this. All stories need to be under 1000 words.

Site rules still apply and only one submission per member. No collaboration allowed. As always, it has to be a new story and nothing you have previously posted.

Competition will run from Dec 16th 2015 until Feb 13th 2016.

Winners will be announced on Feb 28th 2016.

Thank you and happy writing!

http://www.storiesspace.com/competitions/solstice.aspx
Lurker
0 likes
That is wonderful news. I wish everyone that is taking part of this, good luck!
Lurker
0 likes
good luck, everyone.
Lurker
0 likes
With all due respect to everybody, but what's the point of having a competition when very few people can even be bothered to read or comment 'normal' submissions?

You only have to scroll down the home page and look at just how few comments have been left for all of the work that various members have published in recent weeks to see that there is very little interest being shown in what is some excellent quality work. If this is the attitude towards the work being published now what difference is it going to make whether the work is for a competition?

I fail to see what a competition will provide or prove. It will be something of a hollow victory for whomever wins if the voting is by just a handful of people...

Have fun, those of you who feel and believe that this is a good idea and a worthwhile enterprise.
Administration
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960

With all due respect to everybody, but what's the point of having a competition when very few people can even be bothered to read or comment 'normal' submissions?

You only have to scroll down the home page and look at just how few comments have been left for all of the work that various members have published in recent weeks to see that there is very little interest being shown in what is some excellent quality work. If this is the attitude towards the work being published now what difference is it going to make whether the work is for a competition?

I fail to see what a competition will provide or prove. It will be something of a hollow victory for whomever wins if the voting is by just a handful of people...

Have fun, those of you who feel and believe that this is a good idea and a worthwhile enterprise.

I understand fully what you're saying when you talk about the lack of interest in reading/voting on/commenting on other's work, it's an issue that needs to be addressed, but I fail to see how it has anything to do with us running our competition.

If I may, please allow me to banish the misconception that votes and/or comments on competition pieces have any sway on the judges' decision - it does not. The judges' decisions are based solely on quality of work and how well the theme was presented, votes and/or comments don't enter into the equation at all.

A new competition always brings with it much needed excitement, we love that buzz. That's why we have competitions on Stories Space.

Best of luck to everyone entering the competition.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by authorised1960

I understand fully what you're saying when you talk about the lack of interest in reading/voting on/commenting on other's work, it's an issue that needs to be addressed, but I fail to see how it has anything to do with us running our competition.

If I may, please allow me to banish the misconception that votes and/or comments on competition pieces have any sway on the judges' decision - it does not. The judges' decisions are based solely on quality of work and how well the theme was presented, votes and/or comments don't enter into the equation at all.

A new competition always brings with it much needed excitement, we love that buzz. That's why we have competitions on Stories Space.

Not to mention if you compete you get a new badge from Gav...If you win or get a runner up win you get another one...That's a possible 2 new badges people, plus as this is a smaller site one has a much better chance of winning.

I will likely give it a go if only to get a new shiny badge silly

If I may? @ Andy... It is likely because of your attitude towards comps that there have not been many... I believe this comp was arranged because the other members were requesting it so the Mods here who give up their free time have arranged one for us...No offense, but no one is forcing you to enter and clearly you don't have a fine appreciation of the shiny badges Gav gives us as I do

Best of luck to every one.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
I'm looking forward to entering the contest. I really want to know what I'll write for it. Unfortunately, I've not come up with the perfect theme or story line. But it'll come. Thanks all admins and mods for giving us a chance to strut our stuff.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Kiera
Not to mention if you compete you get a new badge from Gav...If you win or get a runner up win you get another one...That's a possible 2 new badges people, plus as this is a smaller site one has a much better chance of winning.

If I may? @ Andy... It is likely because of your attitude towards comps that there have not been many... I believe this comp was arranged because the other members were requesting it so the Mods here who give up their free time have arranged one for us...No offense, but no one is forcing you to enter and clearly you don't have a fine appreciation of the shiny badges Gav gives us as I do

With all due respect to everybody, I offered my opinion. I am very frustrated at the lack of interest over the past several months shown towards the general work that has been posted. Yes, a competition might just flare-up a little more interest for a while but, once it's over and done with, what then? We're all back to where we were before the competition. It's a short-term fix for a long-term issue.

I wish those of you who participate in the competition good luck. I'm choosing to sit this one out
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960
Quote by Kiera

With all due respect to everybody, I offered my opinion. I am very frustrated at the lack of interest over the past several months shown towards the general work that has been posted. Yes, a competition might just flare-up a little more interest for a while but, once it's over and done with, what then? We're all back to where we were before the competition. It's a short-term fix for a long-term issue.

I wish those of you who participate in the competition good luck. I'm choosing to sit this one out

Probably best too seen's I am gonna win LOL..I want the badges.

Merry xmas sweetie xo
Story Moderator
0 likes
Some folks may not be aware that votes and views have no bearing on the outcome. The decision is in the hands of the mods, administrators and, possibly, anyone else they can con into helping. Over on another site similar to this one, a ten vote minimum is invoked but that does not, to the best of my knowledge, apply here.

FWIW, I've always thought contests were more for writers, than readers. The guidelines can be a challenge, the competition is a nice change-of-pace and the chance to win a buck or two can spur creativity.

Now if I only had a clue about a story. ;)

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Kiera
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by authorised1960

well said, Kiera.
Thank you to the mods who DO give tirelessly, all the time. and thank you for offering this fine competition and amazing prizes.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Bumping this thread!

So far we have only seen six submissions for the competition. I sure hope some of you are hard at work scribbling something amazing to join in on the fun.

Deadline is Feb 16th!

Thank you to the ones that has already submitted.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
Working on it.

Excellent! I look forward to it.
Lurker
0 likes
Speaking of such. I finally have a perfect idea. I shall submt it before next week.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Blue
Bumping this thread!

So far we have only seen six submissions for the competition. I sure hope some of you are hard at work scribbling something amazing to join in on the fun.

Deadline is Feb 16th!

Will I be accused of rank hypocrisy if I change my mind and submit an entry, given the lack of entries thus far?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No. You will be welcomed. Please add something.
I just keep hopping from place to place.
I never stay too long.
I just keep moving singing a song.
So you better stop me if you want to chat.
Or you will never know where I am at.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by frogprince
No. You will be welcomed. Please add something.

Thank you FP. I'll get my mind working
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960
Quote by Blue
Bumping this thread!

Deadline is Feb 16th!

Will I be accused of rank hypocrisy if I change my mind and submit an entry, given the lack of entries thus far?

Of course not! I hope you do submit something. smile
0 likes
Quote by Blue
Bumping this thread!

Deadline is Feb 16th!

Yeah! 1 in 6 chance of winning, lol

Kidding, there's time yet. Come on Andy, get writing
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Welshdreamer42
Quote by Blue
Bumping this thread!

Deadline is Feb 16th!

Yeah! 1 in 6 chance of winning, lol

Kidding, there's time yet. Come on Andy, get writing

I have submitted my (winning ) entry to the competition...

Thank you for your encouragement and support
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960
Quote by Blue
Bumping this thread!

Deadline is Feb 16th!

LOL I knew you were a secret badge junky.

I am going to write mine this weekend.
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
How am I supposed to win with so many good authors about to blow me away?

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing
How am I supposed to win with so many good authors about to blow me away?

Easy, you start with, these amateurs got nothing on me, write what comes to mind and blow them away with your amazing talent!
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
That's easy for you to say...

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing
That's easy for you to say...

But you got this! I believe in you!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
Mine is all written up!

I can't wait to read what you've written...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960

I have submitted my (winning ) entry to the competition...

Thank you for your encouragement and support

I have subsequently WITHDRAWN my entry.