Question about when the next writing competition

last reply
38 replies
8.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I was kind of curious if we are going to have another writing competition any time soon
0 likes
It's been a year since the last competition...
Lurker
0 likes
Sorry to be a 'wet blanket' about this, but given the near total lack of interest of late shown in posting comments on works submitted on the home pages, is there any real point in having a competition in which only a very few people will (a) participate and (b) actually leave comments on?

This time last year there was a real buzz about the place, which is graphically missing this year. For instance I have just looked on the Games forum and no-one has posted on ANY of the threads since yesterday! How often does that happen?

I know that a new compo will bring some interest - maybe even a few new members - but to what end?

As I said, sorry to pour cold water here but I am SO frustrated and a tad irritated right now...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you for the comments, guys. A lot of work goes into running a competition but hopefully there will be one soon.
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960

Sorry to be a 'wet blanket' about this, but given the near total lack of interest of late shown in posting comments on works submitted on the home pages, is there any real point in having a competition in which only a very few people will (a) participate and (b) actually leave comments on?

This time last year there was a real buzz about the place, which is graphically missing this year. For instance I have just looked on the Games forum and no-one has posted on ANY of the threads since yesterday! How often does that happen?

I know that a new compo will bring some interest - maybe even a few new members - but to what end?

As I said, sorry to pour cold water here but I am SO frustrated and a tad irritated right now...

Well it is the holiday season, lots of people are busy right now as am I, as is everyone else. A competition would bring this place back to life and stir up the writers minds and hearts. There is always two or three months where the site is just dead. I seen it a few times before, we'll we just need to give it a small push and things and the usual banter will resume.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Blue
Thank you for the comments, guys. A lot of work goes into running a competition but hopefully there will be one soon.

I understand, thanks for responding blue.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
Quote by authorised1960

. There is always two or three months where the site is just dead. I seen it a few times before, we'll we just need to give it a small push and things and the usual banter will resume.

Yeah ... I just might return and claim my rightful place at THE END OF THE LINE!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by snoop
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
Quote by authorised1960

. There is always two or three months where the site is just dead. I seen it a few times before, we'll we just need to give it a small push and things and the usual banter will resume.

Yeah ... I just might return and claim my rightful place at THE END OF THE LINE!!

Then I'll steal you spot at the End of the Line and make you my right paw cat, but don't tell Ms. Rebs tho
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Blue

Hi blue,

Just a random member wanting to ask a question. If you are not in the process of organizing a competition right now, would it be possible to have one that as do a long story with a co-writer? I mean it would be fun to do it and maybe more interesting as well. I am just wondering.... Hope that made sense to you.
Her courage was her crown and she wore it like a queen -Atticus
0 likes
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Blue

Hi blue,

Just a random member wanting to ask a question. If you are not in the process of organizing a competition right now, would it be possible to have one that as do a long story with a co-writer? I mean it would be fun to do it and maybe more interesting as well. I am just wondering.... Hope that made sense to you.

Oh I wanted to do that since I joined!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Blue

Hi blue,

Really? I find that wonderful
0 likes
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Blue

Hi blue,

Really? I find that wonderful

Yeah I mean I tried suggesting it a few times but got lost somewhere. Oh well. Here's hoping.
Administration
0 likes
Patience my sweet children... Just a wee bit more patience...

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd

You give me such hope Yaz 😀❤
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd

......... yes mother??? 😅
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd

Removed by Admin.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd

I know one just past but when can we expect another one to come around?
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by Black_Dragon

That's doubtful, I think. We have had only seven competitions in the past five years or so. I would love to see another coming up, but I don't see that happening for months. Maybe?
Administration
0 likes
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Sherzahd

Patience my sweet children... we're working on it...

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Sherzahd

O.o I didn't know that you were my mother dearest o.O
0 likes
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Blue

Hi blue,

Oooh yeah! Can I choose Lloyd Oxton?
Oi, Lloyd, you up for a joint effort?

... Actually, you write it, I'll just add my name
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Sherzahd

I feel like a child when you do that. That is too funny
0 likes
Quote by Welshdreamer42
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Blue

Hi blue,

I imagine it would be a two part story like one writes the beginning and the other writes the end. Muahahaha
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
Quote by Welshdreamer42

I imagine it would be a two part story like one writes the beginning and the other writes the end. Muahahaha

If it ever happens....
You know what would be cool if we didnt have the choice on who we co-writer in the competition and the mods would have to pick our partner. That would so spice things up. Hehe
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Entangled_Fate
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Sherzahd

I shall sit in the corner and wait.
Administration
0 likes
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Entangled_Fate
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by Black_Dragon
Quote by Sherzahd

I shall sit in the corner and wait.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Entangled_Fate
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
Quote by Welshdreamer42

If it ever happens....
You know what would be cool if we didnt have the choice on who we co-writer in the competition and the mods would have to pick our partner. That would so spice things up. Hehe

That would be my worst nightmare... or, more to the point, I would be the other person's worst nightmare...

I would like to see a competition along the lines of having to incorporate certain random words and phrases into the narrative. Now that's a challenge!
Administration
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960

I would like to see a competition along the lines of having to incorporate certain random words and phrases into the narrative. Now that's a challenge!

We've actually had competitions in the past that had prompts - 'New Beginnings', 'A Picture Worth a Thousand Words' and 'Stories Space Drabble'.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960
Quote by Entangled_Fate
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
Quote by Welshdreamer42

If it ever happens....

That would be my worst nightmare... or, more to the point, I would be the other person's worst nightmare...

Nooo challanges I like things simple!! lol kidding
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
Quote by authorised1960

We've actually had competitions in the past that had prompts - 'New Beginnings', 'A Picture Worth a Thousand Words' and 'Stories Space Drabble'.

Ah, I'd forgotten 2014's Christmas drabble...

I was thinking more of unlinked words such as 'Bucket, eggplant, crosswords, sliced bread and Wellington boots.' Composing a story containing all of those elements would be an interesting exercise, perhaps?