Find your next favourite story now
Login

Pen Names...picking, using, protecting, etc...

last reply
5 replies
3.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rest in Peace
0 likes
I've been noticing a fair number of discussions concerning pen names in blogs and writing groups lately...issues like picking one, protecting that name, getting paid under that name, getting that name out there...that sort of thing...

The first, most obvious issue is picking one...this is something I really need to address myself, btw...I started writing in April, 2009 on another site and chose the name Exakta66 because I happen to collect Exakta cameras, and had always used that name for anything I did on the internet, including my e-mail account. I had been using it since about the year 2000, when everyone in the Exakta collectors group I belonged to picked Exakta related names for their e-mail addresses, so it seemed only natural to use it for writing stories...

Only one minor little problem...I found out in late 2010 that the Exakta name is an active registered trademark of Jos. Schneider in West Germany, and since I started submitting stories to paying sites in September, 2010 I realized I had to change the name I was using, and fast...my girlfriend suggested the name DirtyMartini, since she's a fan of the drink (and turned me onto them, but that's another story)...that seemed like a good idea, since I happen to write erotic stories as well...and DirtyMartini has a hint of "dirtiness" without really being "dirty"...if you know what I mean...it is, after all, a drink...

So...in October, 2010 when I joined Stories Space, I joined using the name DirtyMartini...and the first time I used that name was here, btw...and it seemed all well and good...and I started using it on other sites I post stories on, including sites of a more "adult" nature...

And then one day, a few months back, I got a message from Morgan Hawke, who is a professional writer if you don't know...and she told me that I should really choose a real name, and not a "handle" as she called it...I don't think she used the phrase "dumb ass" in her note, but I got her drift...

I have to say, I've been writing now for over two years...and I have to honestly say, I have really learned quite a bit in that time...about both writing and publishing...but, sometimes things happen to remind me just how little I know, and how much more I have to learn...

So...if you don't want to look like some flighty, unbalanced individual who changes their name every year for the heck of it, you may want to consider picking a real human pen name...and stick with it...if you do have any ambitions whatsoever of taking your writing "to the next level" you are going to have to pick a name you like, and can live with...and build some sort of brand identity around it...

In the meantime, you may want to read this article on picking a pen name...I know I have to read it myself...
http://www.authorscene.com/index.php?id=34&option=com_content&task=view

On another related note...some questions that I have seen lately, complete with actual answers...and yes, I do know the answers to these...

No wise-ass comments, thank you...

Q. Can you copyright a pen name?
A. No, you cannot...

Q. Can you trademark a pen name?
A. Yes, you can...but, you have to show that the name has some value in the marketplace first and is not normally recommended...even writers like Stephen King don't have their name trademarked...which answers the question "Could I call myself Stephen King?"...but it's not a good idea for various reasons I won't get into here...for one thing, any time someone says they read a good story by "Stephen King"...people are probably not going to think it's by you...

Finally...
Q. I don't want my publisher to know my real name...can I get my royalty checks made out to my pen name?
A. Yes, you can...you can set it up legally...something like "Alan W. Jankowski, dba. DirtyMartini"...but, that involves a significant expense, attorneys, that sort of thing...for most authors, they would never make enough to cover the attorney fees...get your first novel on the New York Times bestseller list, and then worry about that...

Anyway...that is our lesson for today...good luck...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Great post, Alan.

I read a few years back that you should use your real first name and choose a made up last name. That way when you're ridiculously famous you'll remember to turn around when someone calls your name.

My real name is Lisa but I use "Bradley" as my surname. Now I just need to work on that ridiculously famous part.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have a pen name that I don't use that much. I think I need to go back to using it for my writing. I'll read the article and give you my thoughts on it.

www.szadventures.com

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm going to use a pen name for my more adult pieces which I plan to self -publish soon,.It's a play on words on my mother's maiden name and my second name. I will use my real name for my other writing.
New Poem out

The Observer
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Louise
I'm going to use a pen name for my more adult pieces which I plan to self -publish soon,.It's a play on words on my mother's maiden name and my second name. I will use my real name for my other writing.

Yeah, that's about the same as I have in mind...except the part about self-publishing...I really don't recommend self-publishing to anyone, unless you are already an established author with a following, or some sort of celebrity...again with a significant following...if you don't believe me, ask some people who have self-published how many books they have sold...

I know it's easy these days, and tempting...but, there are a lot of publishers out there that specialize in more "adult" stuff, and are looking for new authors...

Check out the Erotic Readers & Writers Association website for a start...they have a significant list...
http://www.erotica-readers.com/ERA/AR/Erotica_Authors_Resources.htm

Legitimate established publishers have websites that people visit looking for new titles, they also get titles reviewed, post new releases in trade publications, send out lists of new titles to people on their mailing lists, and other assorted marketing-type stuff...after all, they have a vested interest in selling your book, that's how they make money...you're not going to compete on your own...

And if every one of those listed on that page should happen to turn you down, which I tend to doubt actually...send me a PM and I'll send you links to more...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
OK, Alan. You just twisted my arm. My adult pieces will be under the pen name I rarely use...oh wait, I use it for Smashwords already. I have to make covers for it and get the link as to where to find me and showcase what I have on sale there.

www.szadventures.com