Find your next favourite story now
Login

Three steps to finding your true writing voice...

last reply
11 replies
5.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Here's a quick little blog type thingy on finding your voice when writing...and it points out, as someone here pointed out earlier in a writing group actually...that most people who read on the net read at a grade school level...so, leave those big five-dollar words in the dictionary where they belong...

Three steps to finding your true writing voice...
http://www.copyblogger.com/find-your-writing-voice/
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I know my voice, and it's intelligent and informed, not ignorant. If some people are offended by that, too bad. I won't dumb down anything I took the time and energy to write for someone to get mad because he/she doesn't know what a word or phrase means.

www.szadventures.com

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That was an interesting read. I'm sure if I read a new book written by one of my favourite authors I'd still know it was them even if their name wasn't on the cover. Even though their stories change, the style and voice remains the same. That's what keeps me going back for more.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by ladysharon
I won't dumb down anything I took the time and energy to write for someone to get mad because he/she doesn't know what a word or phrase means.

Brava! Me too! I learnt a lot of new words and phrases from reading that I use in my writing. Anyways it's much easier now days to find out meanings of words and phrases. I used to have to get the actual dictionary out(it was huge) when I was younger. There was no google search.
New Poem out

The Observer
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Louise
Quote by ladysharon
I won't dumb down anything I took the time and energy to write for someone to get mad because he/she doesn't know what a word or phrase means.

Brava! Me too! I learnt a lot of new words and phrases from reading that I use in my writing. Anyways it's much easier now days to find out meanings of words and phrases. I used to have to get the actual dictionary out(it was huge) when I was younger. There was no google search.

That's how I learn a lot of words and phrases. Sometimes, I do break out the old dictionary or use dictionary.com to find the word I'm looking for on occasion.

Better way is to read old books. There's lots of words and phrases in them that aren't really in use.

www.szadventures.com

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by ladysharon

I agree with you wholeheartedly that you shouldn't "dumb down" anything...I do however, think that you should not do the opposite...try to "smarten up" a story by tossing in big words that are not commonly used, especially in dialogue...

Some people have to remember when they're writing a short story or a blog for the net, that that is exactly what they are writing...a short story or blog, and not a college term paper where they are trying to impress a professor...

I think that is what they are referring to in the article...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"Smarting up" a term paper is for the quackademics, not Joe Schmoe.

www.szadventures.com

Administration
0 likes
Quote by DirtyMartini
Quote by ladysharon

I agree with you wholeheartedly that you shouldn't "dumb down" anything...I do however, think that you should not do the opposite...try to "smarten up" a story by tossing in big words that are not commonly used, especially in dialogue...

I agree. Too many times writers try to "smarten up" (never heard that phrase before) their work and it just loses the reader. If you aren't writing something for academics to read, then who are you really impressing by using words that casual readers won't understand? I don't mean shy away from using your intelligence, neither do I mean "dumb it down", I'm just saying that reading fiction should be fun and entertaining, or you lose your reader. Anything that makes them stop reading (to google a word or grab a dictionary), makes them lose the pace that you as a writer tried so hard to create.

Just my opinion.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd

I agree. Too many times writers try to "smarten up" (never heard that phrase before) their work and it just loses the reader.

Yeah, well...you probably haven't heard that phrase before because I think I just made it up...

I was trying to think of what the opposite of "dumbing down" might be...and I'm glad you agree with me...and I agree with you...

Wow...we all agree today...doesn't that feel good? Lol...

Administration
0 likes
Quote by DirtyMartini
Wow...we all agree today...doesn't that feel good? Lol...

Nope.... that just feels weird.... maybe I'm coming down with something....

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I thought that it was an interesting article, but only partly agree:

1. I believe that it's more important to write in the voice of the pov (point of view) character. That is how to induce the reader to be absorbed in the story. If the pov is of a truck driver it doesn't work to make him sound like university prof, and the other way around. The "voice" of the author is inconsequential in some ways.

2. I agree with #2. It is absolutely important to have a purpose for the writing and stick to it. It doesn't have to be a profound purpose. Maybe the purpose is to entertain. That is valid. It may be more profound, such as to persuade or express the author's beliefs on an important subject. A highly skilled author is able to write on more than one level, combining entertainment, for example, with a high purpose.

3. Branding: I don't agree with this at all. I think what is suggested leads to repetition and cliches, which tend to debase the quality of the writing effort and are limiting at the same time.

I think this list of three items is oriented to the author and misses the concept that a literary work is a two-way street between the author and reader. (Sorry for the preceding cliche.)

AW
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by AutumnWriter

3. Branding: I don't agree with this at all. I think what is suggested leads to repetition and cliches, which tend to debase the quality of the writing effort and are limiting at the same time.

Interesting...I had to go read it again, and I tend to agree with you here...in particular, this sentence in the article I think is wrong...

"sprinkle your work liberally with your own little stamps of distinction."

I think branding is something that should come natural to an author, if you have to make a conscious effort to "sprinkle" in catch phrases into your work, something is amiss...but, like Lisa said, there are authors whose work is instantly recognizable because of their writing style...and not because they copied and pasted in catch phrases...