Find your next favourite story now
Login

Got a book out? Big deal, so does everyone these days...get it reviewed...:)

last reply
8 replies
5.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rest in Peace
0 likes
C Hope Clark in her latest newsletter started off with a paragraph which made me laugh out loud actually...

"Now that everyone writes ebooks like grocery lists, we become faced with the all important issue of who will review these ebooks and make them famous on Amazon."

Yes, it does kind of seem like e-books are about as common as grocery lists these days, perhaps more common actually...but, if you happen to be one of those people who has an e-book out there on Amazon, and you're watching the cobwebs grow on it while you're trying to figure out a way to sell more than the two copies you've already sold...and those were to your mom and your aunt...

What do you do? Get it reviewed, of course...probably the best way to jump start book sales is with a good review...here is one link, this is the Crossroads Directory...
http://www.ebookcrossroads.com/book-reviewers.html

Here is another link for Review the Book...an appropriate title, I would guess...
http://reviewthebook.com/

And lastly, a directory of Twitter book reviewers...on GalleyCat...
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/best-book-reviewers-on-twitter_b11136

There are other recommendations like find reviewers on Facebook and "friend" them...review other people's books on Amazon and subtly suggest they do the same for your book...join writing groups and organizations related to your genre...that last one is really a good idea, from what I'm told btw...

If you have a book out there...especially if you are one of the billions of people these days that has a self-published e-book, expect to spend a fair amount of time and effort promoting it...at least if you want to actually sell any...

Once again...Good Luck...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Here's a list of over 200 reviewers, most of whom take requests - be sure to read their guidelines, though. http://www.vanessafinaughtybooks.co.za/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=15&id=1740&Itemid=172&lang=en

If you've written a review for a book you enjoyed, please feel free to share it here: http://www.vanessafinaughtybooks.co.za/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=showcat&catid=15&Itemid=172&lang=en

For those who don't know, the same review can be posted in a million places online without affecting anyone's SEO (search engine optimisation) negatively, provided you change the review's heading each time, in places where you need to include a heading.

I'll be posting more of the reviews on my site here too, over time.
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you - Ray Bradbury.

Find me on Smashwords: www.smashwords.com/profile/view/VanessaFinaughty
Hire me as your editor: www.write-way-freelancers.com
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
You've both provided some very handy information.

Also, the following is an example of what not to do when it comes to asking someone for a review. (I've edited out the book title so I'm not outing the author. It's not one of our members here.)

"Read my novel of short stories, The **** , on Kindle and give it critique."

It's a good idea to be polite to the person you're asking to review your work and also to provide them with a copy of the work you'd like read.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If I write a book, is that what I should do Al?

Where in the heck do you get all this information?

Storie's space 101 !
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by scooter

Storie's space 101 !

Yeah Scooter...there still might be some space left in the class, you'll have to talk to Lisa...

You do have to pay in advance though...hope that's not a problem...

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
You've both provided some very handy information.

Also, the following is an example of what not to do when it comes to asking someone for a review. (I've edited out the book title so I'm not outing the author. It's not one of our members here.)

"Read my novel of short stories, The **** , on Kindle and give it critique."

It's a good idea to be polite to the person you're asking to review your work and also to provide them with a copy of the work you'd like read.

That reads like that author is telling you to review, not asking. I'd ignore a request worded like that.

It's also a good idea to make sure they enjoy the genre you wrote - there's no point in asking someone who hates romance to read and review your romance book, for example.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by scooter
If I write a book, is that what I should do Al?

Storie's space 101 !

I've reviewed more books than I can count, many for our local newspaper, so a lot of my advice comes from experience where authors annoyed me, lol silly

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks DM,
I signed up for class, bought a two year membership and everything.
I'm gonna play hooky on my first day though...(:

Hi VanessaFinaughty,

I envy your talents and determination.
How ever, I don't envy the task of trying to keep writers from annoying editors and their readers.
By all means, please keep up the fine work though,
it's one of those jobs that some one has to do.

More power to both of you.
scooter
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by scooter
Hi VanessaFinaughty,

I envy your talents and determination.
How ever, I don't envy the task of trying to keep writers from annoying editors and their readers.
By all means, please keep up the fine work though,
it's one of those jobs that some one has to do.

More power to both of you.
scooter

Hey there. It pays the bills... well, some months...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
"Where Writers Win's Ultimate List of Book Review Websites"...a pretty decent list, in spreadsheet form...

A lot of lists of review sites I've seen are not particularly up to date, like most of the links above, but this one looks pretty good...check it out my published book-writing Stories Space friends...

Where Writers Win's Ultimate List of Book Review Websites
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag_8yndH90xCdF9tWk1SbUZYYWctaWtaY2F1UFg4LUE#gid=0[/size]