Themes

last reply
4 replies
3.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Do you ever feel as a writer that you use particular themes? Things you identify with and so can write about with more authenticity. What are they and why do you write about them?
New Poem out

The Observer
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Very interesting topic Louise...I notice a lot of recurring themes among some writers here...I don't know that I've written enough stories yet to answer regarding those, but my poems frequently deal with lost love, heartbreak and trust issues...
As I write more stories, I can see some of those themes coming into play...especially the trust issues...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Well, I've never finished a story, but I'd love to say that the message 'appearence can be discieving*' as that I may it a goal to give my characters a complexity about them. This often leads to the themes of transformations, of villians who are also victims, or heros, of conformity as being dependent and in need of growing up and being independently oneself, ect. Ultimately, When it comes to my stories, nothing is as it seems upon one's first impression (or at least that is what I try for).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like to write about people whose walks of life are not glamorous but whose experiences and struggles reveal some element of truth. Even in my baseball story, although the main character is a major league player he is a journeyman relief pitcher.

I have found that incorporating my own experiences helps make the plot credible. That's probably why my characters are unglamorous people.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I use a few themes but I tend to try use things that are relevant to me to help them be more authentic. I particular identify with themes of stress, being lost, secrets and sadness so my more serious pieces will have these themes.
New Poem out

The Observer