Saying I love you

last reply
6 replies
3.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
When is the best time for characters to say I love you to each other? I am curious to see when people think it is too soon for the characters to say it to each other.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
To overly simplify it, it should be said when the time is right. When is the time right? When the events or actions in the story dictate it. For example, a husband/father coming home from war, might scoop up his child, tell them he loves them, then do the same with his wife, and this could happen right at the start of the story. A newly founded couple could say it once a special event has taken place, like their first date, which could be halfway through the story, or they might never say it at all.
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I was wondering about everyone's opinion based on a high school couple who have their first date fairly quickly after meeting each other
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think that's a different ballpark then, because do the people mean it? I say I love you to people all the time and so does my girlfriend, but we don't mean it in the "I want to be with you for the rest of my life" kind of way. "I love you" is something you say to friends. Also, for high school couples, you may say "I love you" long before you actually love the person.
But if you are looking for the actual time in which to say and to mean it, I would argue that once you have been boyfriend/girlfriend (or boyfriend/boyfriend girlfriend/girlfriend) for at least a few months, then you can say it and mean it. Again, however, since they are in highschool, it is easy for them to confuse lust for love - I don't know if that's part of your story - but you can take it into consideration.
0 likes
Quote by nekala20
I was wondering about everyone's opinion based on a high school couple who have their first date fairly quickly after meeting each other

I think it depends on the story line, and where you want to go with it. There are so many possibilities that might follow such a declaration.

If one person says it, and the other isn't ready, that would take it in a certain direction. It could be a false lead, if the one saying it is refused, rejected, and eventually heartbroken, only to be given moral support, friendship and eventually true love from a third person, who didn't, at first, appear to be the romantic hero type.

If they both say it, where does the story go then? Where is the plot line heading? If there is tension and conflict involved, does it lie between the two lovers, or from their entourage - family, friends, teachers, team mates if they play a sport?

If a declaration of love, even mutual love, is too early in the story and/or the characters lives, then give it a spin, and show how it might have been true sentiment, it was the wrong time for it to be expressed.

That could give rise to even more twists and turns in a story, as that could be the background, and the characters split up, continue their lives, grow up, meet and get involved with others, only to encounter one another again sometime, even years later, and then realise that a) they are still fond of one another but now know they were too young, b) can't stand each other, are relieved they were thwarted all that time ago, and move on, c) start up the relationship again, but on a more mature and possibly complicated footing, especially if they are involved in other relationships.

The main thing is, you are the author, and you are in charge, but you need to know where you are taking your characters. Sometimes, as you write and the story develops and takes form, you realise that other options become possible, which you couldn't see from the outset. It isn't that the characters take charge and dictate how the story will unfold, but they do take on characteristics that make certain decisions they might make reasonable, or otherwise.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Very well said Gypsy.
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Thank you Gypsy. That was the sort of thing I was thinking I was just wondering what others thoughts were on it.