Eight steps to more concise writing

last reply
5 replies
3.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you for the list. It was a good one and we should review it now and again.

I will add another suggestion that helps me.

Limit paragraph size. Set a criterion for yourself and trim until the thought is expressed within the limit allowed. I try to limit it to six sentences per paragraph and try to get down to four if I can. There are a few occasions when I can't figure out how to reduce it to the limited number, but not many. I think that any more than eight sentences in a paragraph are too many.

I'm sure that if I reviewed all my work I would find some instances that I broke this rule, but I do try to stick to it.

Adopting this discipline results in a much tighter piece of writing while expressing the author's thoughts. Sometimes an author believes that he/she has written a perfect passage and can't bear to slice and dice any of it. Many times a critical rereading of it reveals that there is a lot of telling and not showing.
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by AutumnWriter

I will add another suggestion that helps me.

Limit paragraph size.

Good rule...I think a common mistake I see with a lot of beginning writers is not starting a new paragraph often enough...

My rule of thumb is...if you are not sure whether or not you should start a new paragraph, start a new paragraph...

There are few things that scream out "Lame Beginning Writer" more than if you click on a story and it is one giant block of text...I know I'm reluctant to read a story like that, and I believe most people would feel the same way...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yeah. The story should flow, not read like an instruction manual.

www.szadventures.com

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yeah. The story should flow, not read like an instruction manual.

www.szadventures.com

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
In addition to your tips, here are the following tips that would help you to become more concise ion your writing.

A How-To Guide for the Rest of Us (squidoo.com)

Writing clearly is not easy.
Writing concisely is also not easy.
Doing both simultaneously is challenging.
But we need to start somewhere.
This lens is about the mechanics of writing clearly and concisely. There are a ton of books and material written that delve into the specifics of articles, novels, short stories, plays, and technical writing.
I just want to tell you how to get there with each sentence.

#1 Always always always think about your audience
Our mutual friend, Seth Godin, wrote about this recently.

The attention span of an internet audience is getting shorter and shorter. They tolerate less. Before they're finished reading your your 80 word masterpiece of a sentence, they will have moved on to different sites.

Think of your own surfing habits. Do you read lots and lots and lots on one site? Probably not.

#2 Use strong action (active) verbs.
He clobbered the ball. vs. The ball was clobbered by him.

She loved her husband. vs. Her husband was loved by her.

They conquered the world. vs. The world was conquered by them.

We enjoyed our vacation. vs. Our vacation was enjoyed by us.

It sounds easy. It isn't.

#3 Use simple English.
Why use a $2 word when a $0.10 will do?
Simple doesn't mean boring. It means language that your reader will understand every time she reads it (the first time). If a person must re-read the sentence, it probably needs to be changed.

Again, think of your audience. Get to the point using the simplest word available.

Example? In my technical editing, I come across utilize several times a day. Nothing wrong with it. It sounds more important than its simpler synonym, use.

So why do these highly intelligent and trained engineers utilize that form of the word? Why do they persist in utilizing its noun counterpart, utilization, when a simpler word like usage will work?

I don't know.

#4 Keep it brief.

Keep your sentences brief and you'll enjoy success as a clear writer.
What I'm about to do is excruciatingly painful and can possibly ruin my stellar and unblemished credibility as a highly educated and experienced technical and business writer whose main 9-5 job is to create text that is readable, understandable, and vibrant, all of which do not necessarily point to the main reasons that I am read by hundreds if not thousands of people all over the world, of course, not including the seven or eight people at work that I must provide clearly written and readable prose because if I were to obscure my meaning and intent with run-on sentences, flowery but meaningless text, incredibly obnoxious sentence structure, and a dearth of punctuational flaws and grammatical miscues, I would be out of gainful if not meaningful employment, if you get my drift, which at this point should be fairly muddied.

Like I said, it was painful. Actually I've seen worse and longer sentences.

Keep your sentences short, or at least mix them up so that there are plenty of short sentences scattered among the longer sentences. Then people will want to read your work.

If a reader, any reader, must go back to reread the sentence because it was too long, then it was too long.
Writing Clearly
2 Things You Can Learn from Like-Minded People in Business and Life
Beach Notes: Keeping Watch
How to make something from nothing

#5 Don't be afraid of punctuation

Remember that paragraph above? The huge run-on sentence that really didn't make any sense? Believe it or not, it is an actual sentence. Here's what it looks like without the punctuation.

What I'm about to do is excruciatingly painful and can possibly ruin my stellar and unblemished credibility as as highly educated and experienced technical and business writer whose main 9-5 job is to create text that is readable understandable and vibrant all of which do not necessarily point to the main reasons that I am read by hundreds if not thousands of people all over the world of course not including the seven or eight people at work that I must provide clearly written and readable prose because if I were to obscure my meaning and intent with run-on sentences flowery but meaningless text incredibly obnoxious sentence structure, and a dearth of punctuational flaws and grammatical miscues I would be out of gainful if not meaningful employment if you get my drift which at this point should be fairly obvious.

Yeah, you're right. It's unreadable.

Here's a general rule: if you would say the same phrase with a pause in your speech, put in a comma (read out loud what I just wrote and you'll see what I mean). If you come to a stop, put in a period.
Be an Inspired Writer! Be one of US!
Visit writania.com for more info.