Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What are you reading at the moment? Options · View
Louise
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 3:41:43 PM

Lola wrote:
Louise wrote:
I've just read a series of detective novels done by a husband and wife writing team who call themselves Barbara Allen. I'm really enjoying the humour and the fact that it's not a typical detective novel. I downloaded all the books in their Antiques series.

Has this inspired you to write another chapter or 10 in your series? Please say yes, please say yes.

I have the next chapter written out in my book...I just need to sit down and type it. I have been distracted!

New Poem out

The Observer
Lola
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 5:35:09 PM

Louise wrote:
Lola wrote:
Louise wrote:
I've just read a series of detective novels done by a husband and wife writing team who call themselves Barbara Allen. I'm really enjoying the humour and the fact that it's not a typical detective novel. I downloaded all the books in their Antiques series.

Has this inspired you to write another chapter or 10 in your series? Please say yes, please say yes.

I have the next chapter written out in my book...I just need to sit down and type it. I have been distracted!

Happy Happy Day! flower

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. ~Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead
ladysharon
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:28:43 AM

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory.

Lisa
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:08:53 AM

I've just started "Beneath the Skin" by Nicci French. From the information in the blurb I don't think it's one I'll be reading just before bedtime!
Louise
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:24:40 AM

I normally loathe books which become popular because they are made into films so I have put off reading the Stieg Larsson -Millennium trilogies. I was taking a long flight so I decided to download 'The girl with the dragon tattoo'. It took me a while to get into it. He's thrown a lot of characters and things happening before actually getting down to solve the mystery. I loved it though.He paints these characters so well - A flawed womaniser going through a life crises, a very flawed and broken woman. It was a hard book to read because many moral boundaries are crossed but it was riveting. It's ending isn't entirely happy either. I read it straight through and downloaded the next in the series to my kindle. Worth the hype.

New Poem out

The Observer
Louise
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:19:32 AM

The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry. I'm trying to open my mind up to poetic styles. And the best way to learn is to read. It's really good actually and I've bookmarked about 30 or so poems that I love already. I might even try dabble in free verse.

New Poem out

The Observer
nicola
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 12:30:32 AM

"Beatrice and Virgil," Yann Martel. It's one of his follow up books after the success of "The life of Pi."

Interesting read so far, a few chapters in. Talented writer, that's for sure.
ladysharon
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:37:21 PM

Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S. Thompson

Lisa
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:37:37 PM

I've just finished The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffrey Deaver. It had so many twists and turns I couldn't put it down.

I'm onto Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich now for a change of pace.
ladysharon
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 11:16:24 AM

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

ladysharon
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 11:16:28 AM

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

INNOCENTMISERY
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:08:36 AM

Currently reading The Girl who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson. Of the three books in the trilogy, this is by far the most difficult to get into. I've been reading it for a month and am barely a quarter of the way through it.

"Nos laetus epulor qui would domito nos. (We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.)"
"Nil satis nisi optimum. (Nothing but the best will do.)"
"I hate it when things don't go my way. It makes me so...horny." - Sarah Michelle Gellar (Kathryn, Cruel Intentions)
"Sex is just alone time with someone else there." - Taint on The Lex And Terry Show, 11/11/09
"Stupidity isn't a crime, so you're free to go."
"I am The Devil, too. There can only be one devil. One of us must go." - Ozzy Osbourne at the end of his cover of "Sympathy For The Devil"
"Your ego is not your amigo." - Nikki Sixx, The Heroin Diaries
"It's my world. I'm just letting you live here." - Mandy, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Louise
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:53:05 AM

In the Belly of Jonah by Sandra Brannan which is a slightly darker serial killer mystery novel. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I seem to be in the mood for it at the moment.

New Poem out

The Observer
gypsy
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 7:25:30 AM

The Hare With Amber Eyes, by Edmund De Waal. A wonderful book chronicling his family's history and his legacy of 264 netsuke.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

MarkButkus
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 1:27:49 PM

An Anthology of Modern Italian Poetry, in English Translation with Italian Text.
Edited and translated by Ned Condini.

Mark Butkus
shy_scribe
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:36:16 PM

"Private" - James Patterson
Sherzahd
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:37:51 AM

School's Out Forever study (one of the books in the Maximum Ride series) by James Patterson.

“Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

courage2bfree
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:24:35 PM

I'm reading 'The evolution of Bruno Littlemore' by Benjamin Hale. Newly published. It is brilliant. It covers so many issues. How humans acquire language, equality for other species,
evolution. It also covers some surprising possibilities.
I enjoy it because I used to teach language acquisition in college.

Love colours our worlds in endless dimensions and unifies all aspects of our activities. Just as sunlight filters through clouds and causes the grasses to turn gold so everything is interlinked in our world.
gypsy
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 11:36:54 PM

Just Kids, by Patti Smith. It's her memoir and tribute to Robert Mapplethorpe.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

ladysharon
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:54:52 PM

Gypsy, I want to read that. I heard her speak last year at the big library here around the same time her memoir came out.

just some notes for a story I wrote up while there was a lull at work.

Lola
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:35:37 PM

A Massage Therapists Guide to Pathology.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. ~Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead
HoneyBee000
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:35:12 AM

I got about 6 books out from the library this week, just been reading a page of each the last couple of nights. I have settled on Moby Dick at the moment, it's making me read more because the language of certain phrases and words are keeping my mind interested.

Wow been a long time since I trotted past here! I'mm reading currently this week short stories Coming up Roses stories of gardens and life (dark humour, comingup roses two pages long very funny from the start) edited by Caroline Oakley. I got it reccommended from my UK Library.
etairay
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:11:59 AM

Ok here it is ..the bible. Reading chapters randomly depending on stories and teachings in each book. Will leave it at that flower
DirtyMartini
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:19:06 AM

etairay wrote:
Ok here it is ..the bible. Reading chapters randomly depending on stories and teachings in each book. Will leave it at that flower

I have never had much luck reading the Bible, and I have tried a couple of times...that Old English stuff reads like a foreign language to me...

I know there are various study guides and the like...heck, there are tons of them...it is the most read book in the world I believe...I just never really had the patience I guess...maybe some day in my old age...

I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

ladysharon
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:45:59 PM

Riot Girl by Aussiescribbler.

gypsy
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 7:37:42 AM

I just finished reading this short story at one of my favourite websites, Words Without Borders.

It's a web site dedicated to encouraging literature in translation: from other languages to English. I've done a fair amount of translating into English from French and Italian, and have a great deal of respect for the people who do it as a profession, as it is not at all simple.

This story is called Orkish Cornbread and could best be described as fantastical.

Quote:
Orkish Cornbread, by Ranko Trifković. Translated from Serbian by Ranko Trifković

The first record of Orkish cornbread is found in the journals of the warlord Ur-Agarish. The original document is lost to time, but a saying remains: "He who dodges the cornbread and sours the kraut, then cream his neck!"

Obtaining the Ingredients:

The basis of every good cornbread is corny flour. It is harvested by the Giants of the Corned Hills. You will need to give the giants plenty of firewater. When they are wasted, steal the corn. But remember, the cornstalks are so gigantic you'll need the help of seasoned Goblin lumberjacks. Also take care—don't raise your battle-ax on a corn-tree. Barghrhazd the Impatient did so and died in his next battle. No one is sure why, but cutting a corn-tree is bad luck.

A small forest of corn yields eighty-seven and three-quarter sacks.

Take these to the Goblin blacksmiths. Tell them to smash the kernels with their hammers for one year and one-and-a-half months. Next, ship the corn to the Gribby miller named Milo for fine grinding. His mills are legendary for having ground the diamonds for the anklet of Queen Bulboulina the First.

Read the rest here - it's a very short story.

ladysharon
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 11:47:46 AM

I just started The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larssen.

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:05:10 AM

That Larssen series is a good read and gives you an interesting view into Swedish life. Too bad writing it apparently killed him.

Just finished, Red Rain, by Bruce Murkoff. Historical fiction set in a Hudson River town in the summer of 1864. Does a good job of bringing several plot lines together using multiple POV.

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Lisa
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:02:58 PM

I'm currently reading Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay. It's the first time I've read one of his books and the story grabbed my attention from the beginning.

I'm enjoying the way he writes. It's similar to Harlan Coben's style.
MissAdventure
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:04:56 PM

I am beta reading a friends novel manuscript although chances are it will be published before I finish it since I got started late.

Keep an eye out for Crimes Against Magic by Steve J McHugh :)

Blog | Twitter | Website - The Great Escape

My new four part novella, The Star Coin Prophesy is now
available to read on my website, The Great Escape: