A question of interest...

last reply
9 replies
4.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Do you enjoy poetry that makes you stop, think or changes the way you look at things, something profound?
Or, do you prefer something that requires less commitment, gives you a little mental respite, a light distraction, something fun or just smile worthy?

And, don't say both or sometimes. Which do you love more than the other and why?
Please Read My Latest Story (Click on the Banner):

0 likes
I dont care much for the snall distractions. Becauze that is all that they are and once that moment is over, you're back in reality, and I just dont find it so enjoyable.

I much prefer having a poem that i am left thinking, feeling, and wondering what could I do. And not just for poerty but stories as well. And I love nothing more then hearing people telling me how my writings inspired them, I guess in a way I prefer making the readers sit and cry over their beloved character then having a hallow happy little story.
0 likes
Quote by AvrgBlkGrl

Do you enjoy poetry that makes you stop, think or changes the way you look at things, something profound?
Or, do you prefer something that requires less commitment, gives you a little mental respite, a light distraction, something fun or just smile worthy?

And, don't say both or sometimes. Which do you love more than the other and why?

Both, at times, and despite being informed I can't say it, I have done so. And I stand by it.

I don't prefer one over the other, and I want, and demand, the right to have access to each, without having to justify or explain why that is so.

Why should it HAVE to be one or the other? Why are there proscriptive rules tendered to all varieties, styles and genres of writing?

Because, yeah, those proscriptive rules and hierarchical conditions are applied across the board.

Why? What is the point?

Tragedy and Comedy are two masks, but they are intimately related; they balance each other.

One is incomplete without the other, and I'm not the first to come up with that notion.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That is not a question I can answer with a simple choice. I prefer poetry that stirs something in me. Sometimes that something is just a smile, and sometimes it is the urge to stop, think and reconsider things. I need both from time to time. And to me poetry should be readable. When I need to translate to normal english first, it looses it's appeal. Just showing off language skill isn't poetry to me.
If life seems jolly rotten
there's something you've forgotten
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing

from Monty Python's "Life of Brian"
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
Quote by AvrgBlkGrl

Both, at times, and despite being informed I can't say it, I have done so. And I stand by it.

I don't prefer one over the other, and I want, and demand, the right to have access to each, without having to justify or explain why that is so.

Why should it HAVE to be one or the other? Why are there proscriptive rules tendered to all varieties, styles and genres of writing?

Because, yeah, those proscriptive rules and hierarchical conditions are applied across the board.

Why? What is the point?

Tragedy and Comedy are two masks, but they are intimately related; they balance each other.

One is incomplete without the other, and I'm not the first to come up with that notion.

I dont think their is anything wrong with liking both. Hiwever having just one or the other tends to be dry either way.

However, asking if you prefer one over the other is not an unfair question, designed to get you to think, it is alright to say you like both but then say what is it about one you like nore then the other and vise versa.

One is incomplete without the other. True but not true. Never once have I seen a happy go lucky poem make someone stop and think about life or the under lying message, but I have seen poems that are to make someone just take a moment to ponder, those poems range from anger to pain to making someone smile, that one to me has no limits.

Poems designed to make you think can be happy poems too.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
The thing is, you can't just say "thinking or smiling?" because those are such opposing extremes that there's not much comparison. It's like comparing a sonnet to a limerick. Both are valid forms and both make you think, but just in very different ways.

Thinking is fine and dandy, but why does poetry have to make one think? It's just another way of telling a story, really. Why does it even have to adhere to rules? I think rules, though useful sometimes, can stifle creativity, especially in poetry. I'll bet that most poetic forms were stumbled upon, not really designed, but accidentally made.

I'll take laughing at, with or about a poem any day, thanks. I don't like being burdened with other people's heavy thoughts; mine are heavy enough as it is, without having the extra crap of someone else.
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
proscriptive rules and hierarchical conditions are applied across the board.

Why? What is the point?

A pretentious hierarchy defends a weak but established position. Anything that challenges it is dismissed as irrelevant and wrong. This is why the smile worthy should not be undervalued. A serious smile worthy can rip a pretentious hierarchy to pieces.

A good hierarchy welcomes critique and fresh ideas because that's what created it in the first place. It can stand up to challenge without resorting to silly rules and prejudices.

I like profound smile worthy best.
Lurker
0 likes
I like very deep and loving poems, very sad and heartbreaking.

I love love poems and sad poems, because I enjoy and can relate the most. Or because I feel the most with them.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by the_enchantress
I like very deep and loving poems, very sad and heartbreaking.

I love love poems and sad poems, because I enjoy and can relate the most. Or because I feel the most with them.

I like stuff that makes me stop and think: makes me say "wow, that's incredible". I want to be jealous of the author, which is the highest compliment I can pay another writer. I want to wish I'd written it...

Sure, I like the flipant, silly and funny, of course I do. God knows we need as much of that as we can get. In my own writing I try to cover both bases, as much to balance my own emotions as to stir anybody elses.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i love the poems that make me think and feel.
i love passion. i love to read and get so involved with the words that i cry and hurt and laugh with the person.
i want to feel sad, happy mad, and all the feelings of the writer. why they wrote it and what it means to them.
i love words. words that touch the soul as well as the heart is wonderful to me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is how I feel:

For "serious" poetry, what I crave is to have someone put words together in ways I have never experienced. It never ceases to amaze me when I find that in an author, and I view that talent with a kind of awe. With serious poetry, it is more the word placement than the poem as a whole that I appreciate. And it only works with poetry or very short stories. When an entire work is that intense, it is almost exhausting to read.

I also love to laugh. With humor, I don't have the yearning that I do with serious work. With humor, I just want to enjoy and laugh. When something is funny, I don't analyze like I do with serious work, I merely view it as something "funny," although there are works of humor that go beyond funny into brilliance.
Rest in Peace
0 likes
I would have to say overall I would prefer this one...

Quote by AvrgBlkGrl

However, ideally it would be nice if it were fun and/or "smile worthy" as well...I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...