last reply
46 replies
12.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Stories Space Drabble Competition!

It is time for a new competition just in time for the Holidays. This competition will run from Dec 7th, 2014 until Jan 16th, 2015 and the winner announced at the end of January. Late submissions will not be accepted.

A Drabble is a micro fiction story that has to be exactly 100 words excluding the title. Not a word more or less. No exceptions.

Please see the the below link for more information.

http://www.storiesspace.com/competitions/stories-space-drabble-.aspx

1st prize - $75.00

2nd prize - $50.00

3rd prize - $25.00

Have fun and we look forward to seeing your submissions!
0 likes
Interesting...

This means that all submissions will have to go into either Poetry, Flash, or Micro fiction then, regardless of subject/story content, since the system only allows those categories to accept text of fewer than 600 words. Right?

Oh, and I would just like to point out a wee error in the wording of the rules:

To make it more challenging, you will be required to start your Drabble using one of the five below sentences! The theme should be surrounding the holidays, but not necessarily limited to Christmas.

"It's not what it looks like," he/she said...

“She/he really hated the Holidays…”

“The Christmas present ticked…”

"Not guilty, Your Honor..."

"You got what for my mother?"

“She/he woke up ecstatic…”

That should read "...one of the six below sentences", not five.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As stated, a Drabble is micro fiction, so it has to be posted under that category. Poems are not allowed.

And thank you for catching the error!
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Use straight quotes, not curly quotes.

I'm just curious as to why we have to use straight quotes. My word processing program, by default, uses curly quotes, as do a lot of others. Is it just to make the word-count more accurate?
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Administration
0 likes
Quote by Circle_Something

I'm just curious as to why we have to use straight quotes. My word processing program, by default, uses curly quotes, as do a lot of others. Is it just to make the word-count more accurate?

From an editor's point of view, curly quotes are the correct form to use, but when you're writing something where word count is important, then you should use the straight quotes. Reason for this - and I speak under correction - is that when you're writing dialogue, your system will count the opening quote as one word.

There should be an option to keep your program from auto-correcting it. Click on the Microsoft button and go to 'Options'. It's fairly easy to figure out, but let me know if you're not finding it.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Administration
0 likes

From an editor's point of view, curly quotes are the correct form to use, but when you're writing something where word count is important, then you should use the straight quotes. Reason for this - and I speak under correction - is that when you're writing dialogue, your system will count the opening quote as one word.

There should be an option to keep your program from auto-correcting it. Click on the Microsoft button and go to 'Options'. It's fairly easy to figure out, but let me know if you're not finding it.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd

Or just type your entry into the submission area. It's only a hundred words, after all.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Oh I'm so excited about this competition and I hope everyone gives it a shot. I wish I could. The selected sentence starters are great. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

The curly quote thing is minor. Wait till you try to submit to publishers. Their guidelines and restrictions are so fickle, and are going to throw you for a loop if the curly quote is a challenge.
They can be very specific. So I guess it narrows down to how bad you want it. Besides that when it comes to word count, you start looking for all kind of ways to keep yourself under the limit.
Please Read My Latest Story (Click on the Banner):

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Do acronyms count as one word?
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Lurker
0 likes
All the entries are great!!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just threw my hat into the contest

www.szadventures.com

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm glad I don't have to decide this. As usual, the level of writing is phenomenal. On the bright side, there aren't many bad choices. smile
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by AvrgBlkGrl
. Besides that when it comes to word count, you start looking for all kind of ways to keep yourself under the limit.

The best 'cheat' of course, is using contractions. In a 100 word limit story they are invaluable!

Maybe the NEXT drabble challenge should be to write a story where contractions are not allowed? That would certainly put the cat amongst my literary pigeons
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was looking at the entries, to see, if I didn't miss any off them. I found, that there are a few from people, who apparently only joined this site for the sake of the competition.

Though I like their stories, I doesn't feel right, that people only come here for the chance to win some money. I can't imagine, that was the purpose of the competition. Would it be unreasonable to set some conditions about that, for a next competition anyway. Something like, before entering into the competition, you must either have been a member for at least some months, or you must have submitted at least a minimal amount of stories?
I realize, a competition would no longer pull potentially active new members over the line, but it would also prohibit joining, just for the sake of the money.
If life seems jolly rotten
there's something you've forgotten
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing

from Monty Python's "Life of Brian"
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by paulus
I was looking at the entries, to see, if I didn't miss any off them. I found, that there are a few from people, who apparently only joined this site for the sake of the competition.

Though I like their stories, I doesn't feel right, that people only come here for the chance to win some money. I can't imagine, that was the purpose of the competition. Would it be unreasonable to set some conditions about that, for a next competition anyway. Something like, before entering into the competition, you must either have been a member for at least some months, or you must have submitted at least a minimal amount of stories?
I realize, a competition would no longer pull potentially active new members over the line, but it would also prohibit joining, just for the sake of the money.

You don't know if it's solely for the sake of money or not.

And if it was, it's their business.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by paulus

I agree with yo and akso I would appreciate them for trying out in the competition. The sole purpose must not be the money. Though the stories were good and I enjoyed a lot. Yup there should be norms placed against next competition about the competent. I appreciate your insight.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by the_enchantress

You are right, I don't know. I didn't say I did, I merely stated, how I perceived their membership. People who join this site with the intention to become a member of this community, tend to reveal a few things about themselves. The contestants I refer to provided the absolute minimum for joining, submitted only the competition entry, clicked "like" a few times and fell silent again.

And what they want may be their business, but what this site allows isn't. Stories Space was, as far as I can tell, not created to provide some fast money for opportunists, but to become a community of people who love the written word, to give amateur authors a place to publish their stuff and to enable people to read, enjoy, and when they feel like it, comment en score on stories and poems here.

Administration
0 likes
Quote by paulus
Quote by the_enchantress

You are right, I don't know. I didn't say I did, I merely stated, how I perceived their membership. People who join this site with the intention to become a member of this community, tend to reveal a few things about themselves. The contestants I refer to provided the absolute minimum for joining, submitted only the competition entry, clicked "like" a few times and fell silent again.

And what they want may be their business, but what this site allows isn't. Stories Space was, as far as I can tell, not created to provide some fast money for opportunists, but to become a community of people who love the written word, to give amateur authors a place to publish their stuff and to enable people to read, enjoy, and when they feel like it, comment en score on stories and poems here.

With every new competition we have new members as entrants and you're right, we don't see them around here until the next competition. It's not fair, but it's not against the rules of the competition. That said, we will take your suggestion under advisement.

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I joined up for a variety of reasons, but the main reason was because of a competition. It wasn't one that I'd entered, but actually the compete flipside of that. I wanted to score and comment on a story. Then I wrote a few, then a few more, and here I am. People's motivations for joining may not be pure, but their reasons for staying can change. Give them a chance.
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
0 likes
I joined in the middle of the dark and light competition, I wish I had entered, but I never did because at that time I was skiddish about people reading my work like a lot if people i know when they first joined. Plus I dont think it is good for the ego if the first thing you wrote was merely read because of the competition.

Anyways, my point was that some people who joined for the competition may have joined to write, and just so happened to see the competition open.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
SS is open to anybody who wants to participate and as long as they follow the rules, I'm quite sure they are welcome to come or go as they please.. there certainly are droids who flit around the internet looking for contests and we will get our fair share of them.. judging from what I've read from our members so far they won't find it easy picken's..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
Anyways, my point was that some people who joined for the competition may have joined to write, and just so happened to see the competition open.

I agree that that is a possibility, however, active writers tend to be active in other ways too, on the forum, or as readers. Apart from that, all the active writers, and as far as I can see, there are no exceptions, show at least a little bit of themselves in their profiles.

Quote by Dreamcatcher
judging from what I've read from our members so far they won't find it easy picken's..

Nope, you're absolutely right, they won't. I don't think they'll be among the winners.

Indeed there are no rules, that prevent people from joining for the sole purpose of trying to win some money. That is, why I brought this up. I think changing the rules is at least worth some thought.
I honestly believe, that not being able to enter in a competition right away, will not stop a person who really wants to write, from joining Stories Space.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by paulus
Quote by Rebellious_Soul

I agree that that is a possibility, however, active writers tend to be active in other ways too, on the forum, or as readers. Apart from that, all the active writers, and as far as I can see, there are no exceptions, show at least a little bit of themselves in their profiles.

Quote by Dreamcatcher
judging from what I've read from our members so far they won't find it easy picken's..

Nope, you're absolutely right, they won't. I don't think they'll be among the winners.

Indeed there are no rules, that prevent people from joining for the sole purpose of trying to win some money. That is, why I brought this up. I think changing the rules is at least worth some thought.
I honestly believe, that not being able to enter in a competition right away, will not stop a person who really wants to write, from joining Stories Space.

OUT OF RESPECT FOR ANOTHER MEMBER OF THE SITE I AM EDITING THIS POST.

THIS IS THE FIRST AND LAST TIME I WILL DO SO.

For the record, Paul, I'm with you 100%. I fully understand where you're coming from as it relates to another debate on another thread about newbies/guests leaving comments and scoring. This matter goes hand-in-hand with that issue, in my opinion. After all, asking for fairness isn't a crime... is it?
0 likes
Quote by Blue

This competition will run from Dec 7th, 2014 until Jan 16th, 2015 and the winner announced at the end of January. Late submissions will not be accepted.

Could it be clarified if the competition closes at midnight on the 16th, or at midnight on the 15th?

It seems to me that in previous competitions, the closing time was at the start of the final day announced, not at the end of said day.

Administration
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Blue

This competition will run from Dec 7th, 2014 until Jan 16th, 2015 and the winner announced at the end of January. Late submissions will not be accepted.

Could it be clarified if the competition closes at midnight on the 16th, or at midnight on the 15th?

It seems to me that in previous competitions, the closing time was at the start of the final day announced, not at the end of said day.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have no idea, but I will check for and get back to you.