Login

Scoring and trolls

last reply
18 replies
4.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
So I was going over some of my stories the I previously posted on here, and I noticed that three of my scories were scored from thirty to forty times and I look at the scores most were either one's two's and three's. Well, idk about you but when I get a low score, I want to know why I got it in the first place. Some of my other friends too, have random stories of theirs that was given multiple low scores without reason. So I believe there is some one or some group of people trolling the site, and so I was wondering if it was possible to see who scored on the stories and what their score was.

I know it is supposed to be anonymous and private for people to score stories without persecution, because no doubt some people are childish and would go after the person for a low score. But when forty score low on single random stories, that is suspicious and needs to be dealt with.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
My advice is simple: Just don't go there. Everything is monitored, so if there is a troll, it will either have been dealt with or is in the midst of being dealt with.
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Rest in Peace
0 likes
This has, and always will be, an issue on sites like this...if you go to "Settings" then "Settings/Privacy" you can set it so that only members can vote on your stories...

I did that myself a while back after a similar experience to yours btw...not much you can really do about it otherwise, I'm afraid...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Lurker
0 likes
That's awful..thanks for the heads up..

I switched my settings on both sites..
0 likes
Alright thanks, D_M I hope this doesn't remain an issue for long.
Administration
0 likes
It's an issue we're aware of and we are looking into it. The low scores are all anonymous votes and that should not even be possible - it's not possible to score a 3 or less while not logged in. I assure you this will be sorted, but I cannot tell you how long it will take to investigate the matter. The only solution I can offer right now is for you to inbox me the links to the affected stories and I will remove all anonymous votes.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Reb and I talked about this on Friday and I have seen the same behavior on three of my stories too. May I have the anonymous votes removed? One of my stories got hit with 75 votes. I knew right away trolls were at work.

One suggestion I can make is to make only members score the default setting when establishing a membership.

Cal Erickson
I just keep hopping from place to place.
I never stay too long.
I just keep moving singing a song.
So you better stop me if you want to chat.
Or you will never know where I am at.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I, too, have been trolled on some of my stories. There's not much point in moaning about it because somehow the trolls have found a way around the safeguards put in place. Nothing is infallible, after all.

=^.^=
Administration
0 likes
Sadly there isn't much we can do about it other than removing the scores. Even some of my stories have been targeted. I will check on your stories, Andrew.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
Sadly there isn't much we can do about it other than removing the scores. Even some of my stories have been targeted. I will check on your stories, Andrew.

Thanks

=^.^=
0 likes
I don't know where to put this, and I hate to complain about something so lowly about a score, but I haven't recieved any feedback from the readers asto why i keep getting threes, how does one expect me to progress as a writer if they dont tell me what they dont like about a certain piece, but i been constantly recieving threes the past several poems, i just dont get it.

If someone can help.me out or at least the readers who have been scoring my stuff anything below a four give back a reason as to why i been scored so low. I would appreciate it thank you much.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I think I have mentioned this before and it would address both the dumping (giving a low score to drop average) and the pumping (stampeding high scores to friends).. dumping and pumping has always been an issue on both sites.. make all scorers leave a mandatory comment and place the score they gave next to their comment.. only authors can vote.. members who only read but don't post anything can only "like" (thumbs up) or "dislike" (thumbs down) another persons work.. just sayin'..
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
I don't know where to put this, and I hate to complain about something so lowly about a score, but I haven't recieved any feedback from the readers asto why i keep getting threes, how does one expect me to progress as a writer if they dont tell me what they dont like about a certain piece, but i been constantly recieving threes the past several poems, i just dont get it.

If someone can help.me out or at least the readers who have been scoring my stuff anything below a four give back a reason as to why i been scored so low. I would appreciate it thank you much.

I don't know. Make comments mandatory when scoring.

Nothing you ever write is average.

Hugs xxoo
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Rebellious_Soul

I can't, for the hell of it, imagune, why anyone would score your work with a three. Maybe he or she is fed vinegar on a daily basis?
If life seems jolly rotten
there's something you've forgotten
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing

from Monty Python's "Life of Brian"
Lurker
0 likes
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Hugs. You write amazingly and beautifully.

I love your work.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
I think I have mentioned this before and it would address both the dumping (giving a low score to drop average) and the pumping (stampeding high scores to friends).. dumping and pumping has always been an issue on both sites.. make all scorers leave a mandatory comment and place the score they gave next to their comment.. only authors can vote.. members who only read but don't post anything can only "like" (thumbs up) or "dislike" (thumbs down) another persons work.. just sayin'..

I could not agree more. Why should random visitors to the site screw up a member's standing by acting the ass?
I would go a step further: NOT allow new members to score at all until they have either published at least one story or poem in the first month of membership or until they have been a member of the site for a calendar month (minimum)

I believe that this sort of restriction will dissuade the sort of moron that comes to sites like this just to cause problems from bothering. I cannot envision any troll waiting a month to do his or her damage. It's all about instant gratification for that type of person...

Another quick point - a three score is not bad. 'Average' is just what it says: not poor, not exceptional. Not one of us here on this site can be brilliant all the time, no matter how much we might like to think we are
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960
Quote by Dreamcatcher

I could not agree more. Why should random visitors to the site screw up a member's standing by acting the ass?
I would go a step further: NOT allow new members to score at all until they have either published at least one story or poem in the first month of membership or until they have been a member of the site for a calendar month (minimum)

I believe that this sort of restriction will dissuade the sort of moron that comes to sites like this just to cause problems from bothering. I cannot envision any troll waiting a month to do his or her damage. It's all about instant gratification for that type of person...

Another quick point - a three score is not bad. 'Average' is just what it says: not poor, not exceptional. Not one of us here on this site can be brilliant all the time, no matter how much we might like to think we are

I agree with that, but also keep in mind we all strive to improve and if you give out a three then you see there is room for improvement and can send a short pm to the author stating why and such. I am always looking for feedback. Positive, negative, random ramblings of how one idea worked nore then another. Hehe.

As long as it isnt about grammar, because that just annoys me.
Lurker
0 likes

I agree with that, but also keep in mind we all strive to improve and if you give out a three then you see there is room for improvement and can send a short pm to the author stating why and such. I am always looking for feedback. Positive, negative, random ramblings of how one idea worked nore then another. Hehe.

As long as it isnt about grammar, because that just annoys me.

Again, I agree.

It's the malicious and petty troll scores that are the issue. I am not too full of my self to not take constructive feedback from my peers. At least the majority of folks on this site have a better than average inkling of what they are talking about

Let's hope the mods are looking-in on this thread and taking note....
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by Rebellious_Soul

It could be anything, ranging from gripes about poor grammar, spelling, or maybe they just didn't like the story. You have my assurance, that if I score anything at all, I will be frank about my reasons, but try to be polite, too. The fact is, though, some people are just too picky. They expect professional grade work, when really, most of us are just amateurs, albeit really good amateurs, but amateurs, nevertheless. I'd suggest maybe asking those people who voted threes to explain why in a PM, but be very careful, some people don't like to be called out. If you were ever unhappy about a score I'd given you, I wouldn't mind being more specific, if you asked me.

This goes to all people here. I'm not going to be offended if you ask. I'd rather you asked me, than just sitting there stewing in impotent rage and cursing me upside down.

=^.^=