Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What is on your mind? Options · View
HazelsHeaven
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:55:14 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 1/3/2016
Posts: 80
Location: Philippines
How you go to any lengths to protect a friend even if it means hurting yourself first.

LIVE every moment.
LOVE beyond words.
LAUGH everyday.
Rebellious_Soul
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 11:49:37 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 4,839
Location: In the Void, United States
That's so adorable, a lot of my stories have 1's 2's and 3' for scores. Not word as to why. Hahaha, it's one thing to dislike a story, but that's overkill, and really just shows how insecure that person really is. Because I know for a fact it is someone who is a member, I turned off public voting, this is straight up malice, and truth is I unblocked people because it's stupid, we're better then that. But apperantly not. Not naming names but it's so funny how there's only one person who has a problem with me, and a little of my stories suddenly have low scores.

Because I can,
because I want to,
And because who are you to tell me otherwise?
akatsuki_dragon
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:18:17 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/10/2013
Posts: 180
Location: Sinning
Truth be told, I can see what most people cant. Hehe and it can indeed scary you.

evil5

Quote:
Her courage was her crown and she wore it like a queen -Atticus
Rebellious_Soul
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:01:58 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 4,839
Location: In the Void, United States
Wow... I still have the most forum posts and I only been posting 2 or 3 lately -_- that's sad.

Because I can,
because I want to,
And because who are you to tell me otherwise?
Rebellious_Soul
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:31:37 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 4,839
Location: In the Void, United States
I want to play a game of chess...

Because I can,
because I want to,
And because who are you to tell me otherwise?
elizabethblack
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:54:56 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/12/2014
Posts: 1,212


elizabethblack
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:54:57 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/12/2014
Posts: 1,212


Rebellious_Soul
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 9:06:52 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 4,839
Location: In the Void, United States
Ugh, yes life I get it. Don't quit. You can stop with the inspirational and motivational messages, songs, and videos now.

Because I can,
because I want to,
And because who are you to tell me otherwise?
Dreamcatcher
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 3:48:58 PM

Rank: Forum Facilitator

Joined: 3/15/2011
Posts: 3,074
Location: Only my friends know...
I'm torn between having a 50+ year old oak chopped down or risking another year of it in the rain and wind..

gypsy
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 4:48:50 AM

Rank: Forum Facilitator

Joined: 10/13/2010
Posts: 1,625
Dreamcatcher wrote:
I'm torn between having a 50+ year old oak chopped down or risking another year of it in the rain and wind..


Tough choice to make, Larry. Is there any way to cut branches to make it less vulnerable, so you can keep it? If it goes down in rain and wind, would there be collateral damage, such as your house or car being crushed?

Oak trees are pretty impressive.



The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius



Dreamcatcher
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 11:08:55 AM

Rank: Forum Facilitator

Joined: 3/15/2011
Posts: 3,074
Location: Only my friends know...
gypsy wrote:
Dreamcatcher wrote:
I'm torn between having a 50+ year old oak chopped down or risking another year of it in the rain and wind..


Tough choice to make, Larry. Is there any way to cut branches to make it less vulnerable, so you can keep it? If it goes down in rain and wind, would there be collateral damage, such as your house or car being crushed?

Oak trees are pretty impressive.



Sadly, it is a split trunk. Two huge trunks growing out of one. Wood boring beetles have weakened it and when it does fall it will cover the house and a good portion of the neighbors property. It's over 70 feet tall and a 50 foot dripline. There are nine squirrel nests and several more bird. Plus we have a raccoon that loves to climb it at night. So many things to consider.

AriesDragon
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:05:11 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/10/2015
Posts: 981
Dreamcatcher wrote:
gypsy wrote:
Dreamcatcher wrote:
I'm torn between having a 50+ year old oak chopped down or risking another year of it in the rain and wind..


Tough choice to make, Larry. Is there any way to cut branches to make it less vulnerable, so you can keep it? If it goes down in rain and wind, would there be collateral damage, such as your house or car being crushed?

Oak trees are pretty impressive.



Sadly, it is a split trunk. Two huge trunks growing out of one. Wood boring beetles have weakened it and when it does fall it will cover the house and a good portion of the neighbors property. It's over 70 feet tall and a 50 foot dripline. There are nine squirrel nests and several more bird. Plus we have a raccoon that loves to climb it at night. So many things to consider.



A massive old Acacia Abyssinia tree grew in the garden, on the edge of a sirikwa hole (large holes made by the homesteads of the Sirikwa, an ethnic group that disappeared around the 18th century). The stories that tree could have told... Weddings, memorial services, christenings, lunch parties, and of course, the day to day activities of many children... so much had happened under that tree. Over the years, the huge branches became home to countless birds, the hammerkops had a permanent home, looking like it was built by a drunk, their droppings killing any grass that tried to grow underneath. The hornbills, parrots and love birds all had their holes, as did a colony of bees that worked themselves into a frenzy when the tree was flowering. Orchids, mosses and ferns also called the tree home. Genet cats hid in it by day and leopards visited it by night, marking their territory and leaving scars with their claws. A troop of colobus monkeys, along with the badly behaved vervets, would regularly stop by to feast on seed pods and insects.
The branches spread a good 20m out from the trunk on all sides and it could be seen from several kilometres away, lording over its surroundings. Over time, the weight of the branches had caused the trunk to start splitting, a couple of branches had had to be cut off and lighting struck it once. At some point, someone braced the trunk with three 4" wide metal bands, bolted together, like necklaces, and several of the branches supported by posts and a metal cable. As the tree came to the end of its life, there was great debate on what to do about it. Nobody wanted to cut it but, like you, there was the danger and damage it would cause, should it come down by itself. The Sirikwa hole had always acted as a bit of a catchment area during the rains, washing down all the animal and bird droppings and providing a constant source of nutrients and water for the tree to thrive on.
After a couple of drought years the tree was struggling, then the rain started, flooding the parched earth, causing many trees already weak roots to fail and for them topple as a result. The Sirikwa hole turned into a small wetland that was a wonderful playground for children, dogs and the many frogs that performed raucously every night. Alas, it was too much water for the old tree and the soil was too waterlogged, and he too, toppled over, into the hole and still lies there, his branches still home to many and a whole new playground for the two and four legged creatures that still delight in the old, dead trees continued role in the circle of life.


Dear me... what started as a sentence to commiserate about losing a wonderful old tree has turned into a short story!
gypsy
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:43:43 AM

Rank: Forum Facilitator

Joined: 10/13/2010
Posts: 1,625
AriesDragon wrote:



Dear me... what started as a sentence to commiserate about losing a wonderful old tree has turned into a short story!


And a wonderful story it is, too. Thank you for sharing it.

It also goes to show that the time comes when nature reclaims its due, and makes the best of it afterwards.



The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius



Rebellious_Soul
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 8:12:33 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 4,839
Location: In the Void, United States
gypsy wrote:
AriesDragon wrote:



Dear me... what started as a sentence to commiserate about losing a wonderful old tree has turned into a short story!


And a wonderful story it is, too. Thank you for sharing it.

It also goes to show that the time comes when nature reclaims its due, and makes the best of it afterwards.


I agree, that is a wonderful story. Perhaps it should be one on the front page too?

Because I can,
because I want to,
And because who are you to tell me otherwise?
snoop
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 8:27:33 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/29/2012
Posts: 1,724
Location: Piedmont, United States
The growing insanity in our USA government since partisan politics apparently became a "win at any cost" game. Our legislators have apparently forgotten the meaning of "civil discussion", "negotiation", and "compromise" for the good of this country. I was beyond embarrassment when on recent holiday in Scotland when folk would ask about D. Trump. There is SO MUCH MORE GOOD that could be accomplished in this world if we could learn to be civil and work for the common good of mankind. We have become greedy and lost our moral rudder in life😞😞😞
Dreamcatcher
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 10:13:21 AM

Rank: Forum Facilitator

Joined: 3/15/2011
Posts: 3,074
Location: Only my friends know...
AriesDragon wrote:
Dreamcatcher wrote:
gypsy wrote:
Dreamcatcher wrote:
I'm torn between having a 50+ year old oak chopped down or risking another year of it in the rain and wind..


Tough choice to make, Larry. Is there any way to cut branches to make it less vulnerable, so you can keep it? If it goes down in rain and wind, would there be collateral damage, such as your house or car being crushed?

Oak trees are pretty impressive.



Sadly, it is a split trunk. Two huge trunks growing out of one. Wood boring beetles have weakened it and when it does fall it will cover the house and a good portion of the neighbors property. It's over 70 feet tall and a 50 foot dripline. There are nine squirrel nests and several more bird. Plus we have a raccoon that loves to climb it at night. So many things to consider.



A massive old Acacia Abyssinia tree grew in the garden, on the edge of a sirikwa hole (large holes made by the homesteads of the Sirikwa, an ethnic group that disappeared around the 18th century). The stories that tree could have told... Weddings, memorial services, christenings, lunch parties, and of course, the day to day activities of many children... so much had happened under that tree. Over the years, the huge branches became home to countless birds, the hammerkops had a permanent home, looking like it was built by a drunk, their droppings killing any grass that tried to grow underneath. The hornbills, parrots and love birds all had their holes, as did a colony of bees that worked themselves into a frenzy when the tree was flowering. Orchids, mosses and ferns also called the tree home. Genet cats hid in it by day and leopards visited it by night, marking their territory and leaving scars with their claws. A troop of colobus monkeys, along with the badly behaved vervets, would regularly stop by to feast on seed pods and insects.
The branches spread a good 20m out from the trunk on all sides and it could be seen from several kilometres away, lording over its surroundings. Over time, the weight of the branches had caused the trunk to start splitting, a couple of branches had had to be cut off and lighting struck it once. At some point, someone braced the trunk with three 4" wide metal bands, bolted together, like necklaces, and several of the branches supported by posts and a metal cable. As the tree came to the end of its life, there was great debate on what to do about it. Nobody wanted to cut it but, like you, there was the danger and damage it would cause, should it come down by itself. The Sirikwa hole had always acted as a bit of a catchment area during the rains, washing down all the animal and bird droppings and providing a constant source of nutrients and water for the tree to thrive on.
After a couple of drought years the tree was struggling, then the rain started, flooding the parched earth, causing many trees already weak roots to fail and for them topple as a result. The Sirikwa hole turned into a small wetland that was a wonderful playground for children, dogs and the many frogs that performed raucously every night. Alas, it was too much water for the old tree and the soil was too waterlogged, and he too, toppled over, into the hole and still lies there, his branches still home to many and a whole new playground for the two and four legged creatures that still delight in the old, dead trees continued role in the circle of life.


Dear me... what started as a sentence to commiserate about losing a wonderful old tree has turned into a short story!


A wonderful story. I agree with Rebs and Gypsy.. it deserves a greater audience and you should post it in the musing section..

Rebellious_Soul
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 11:43:41 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 4,839
Location: In the Void, United States
Regret... never eat a chili pepper by itself... tasted so good. But it's not loving me back at all... XD

Because I can,
because I want to,
And because who are you to tell me otherwise?
snoop
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 10:24:53 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/29/2012
Posts: 1,724
Location: Piedmont, United States
Rebellious_Soul wrote:
Regret... never eat a chili pepper by itself... tasted so good. But it's not loving me back at all... XD


Shame on you Oh Reb ... WHATever are we gonna do with you588-rolleyes dontknow
Rebellious_Soul
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2016 10:20:03 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 4,839
Location: In the Void, United States
Trying to talk to friends but been getting no replies. I check to see if my messages are even sending and turns out they've been replying but I haven't been receiving any of theirs! Talk about frustrating.

Because I can,
because I want to,
And because who are you to tell me otherwise?
Circle_Something
Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 5:52:00 AM

Rank: Forum Facilitator

Joined: 8/11/2012
Posts: 1,965
Location: Glasgow-ish
A few things. My brother's birthday, for one. That's coming up on the 11th this month, which means that I have to deal with the whole "tragic day for the whole world" stuff, but really, it isn't tragic for me. I got a brother, who was born a full two years before that. Yes, it's horrible, but people forget that it was a joyous day for a lot of people. I haven't got him all the presents I wanted yet, but I will.

Aria, obviously. She's starting a new business venture, and that's got me thinking about my own business venture. I'm gonna be honest, I really need her to kick my arse. She definitely helps with motivation. We went through a slight phase where wee didn't talk much, but we talked that out, so we're good again. There's the situation of where I'll live when I go over there, but I'm not getting into that.

Music is always on my mind.

Work, but more specifically my wrists, due to work. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome isn't fun. I've finished the six weeks (fucking x button isn't working properly) of splinting, and have been not splinting for five nights now. Ain't going well. Now I'm thinking of the surgery for CTS. It's not exactly a cure. It falls into the category of a deliberate injury. What they do, is cut away the ligament that (look at your wrist) runs just at the joint. That gives the carpal tunnel more room, but as you can guess, doesn't actually treat the nerve compression. There's also the V-shaped cut they can do, but there really isn't much they can do. I'm fucked, really.

What else? I need a salad spinner. I got new glasses, so I think I'll wear them today. That's about all.

Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Don't forget Kitty and Kitten. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
A love poem <3 Kitty & Kitten
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^= <3 ^.^

steve
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 6:32:17 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 4/23/2015
Posts: 62
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
AriesDragon wrote:
Dreamcatcher wrote:
gypsy wrote:
Dreamcatcher wrote:
I'm torn between having a 50+ year old oak chopped down or risking another year of it in the rain and wind..


Tough choice to make, Larry. Is there any way to cut branches to make it less vulnerable, so you can keep it? If it goes down in rain and wind, would there be collateral damage, such as your house or car being crushed?

Oak trees are pretty impressive.



Sadly, it is a split trunk. Two huge trunks growing out of one. Wood boring beetles have weakened it and when it does fall it will cover the house and a good portion of the neighbors property. It's over 70 feet tall and a 50 foot dripline. There are nine squirrel nests and several more bird. Plus we have a raccoon that loves to climb it at night. So many things to consider.



A massive old Acacia Abyssinia tree grew in the garden, on the edge of a sirikwa hole (large holes made by the homesteads of the Sirikwa, an ethnic group that disappeared around the 18th century). The stories that tree could have told... Weddings, memorial services, christenings, lunch parties, and of course, the day to day activities of many children... so much had happened under that tree. Over the years, the huge branches became home to countless birds, the hammerkops had a permanent home, looking like it was built by a drunk, their droppings killing any grass that tried to grow underneath. The hornbills, parrots and love birds all had their holes, as did a colony of bees that worked themselves into a frenzy when the tree was flowering. Orchids, mosses and ferns also called the tree home. Genet cats hid in it by day and leopards visited it by night, marking their territory and leaving scars with their claws. A troop of colobus monkeys, along with the badly behaved vervets, would regularly stop by to feast on seed pods and insects.
The branches spread a good 20m out from the trunk on all sides and it could be seen from several kilometres away, lording over its surroundings. Over time, the weight of the branches had caused the trunk to start splitting, a couple of branches had had to be cut off and lighting struck it once. At some point, someone braced the trunk with three 4" wide metal bands, bolted together, like necklaces, and several of the branches supported by posts and a metal cable. As the tree came to the end of its life, there was great debate on what to do about it. Nobody wanted to cut it but, like you, there was the danger and damage it would cause, should it come down by itself. The Sirikwa hole had always acted as a bit of a catchment area during the rains, washing down all the animal and bird droppings and providing a constant source of nutrients and water for the tree to thrive on.
After a couple of drought years the tree was struggling, then the rain started, flooding the parched earth, causing many trees already weak roots to fail and for them topple as a result. The Sirikwa hole turned into a small wetland that was a wonderful playground for children, dogs and the many frogs that performed raucously every night. Alas, it was too much water for the old tree and the soil was too waterlogged, and he too, toppled over, into the hole and still lies there, his branches still home to many and a whole new playground for the two and four legged creatures that still delight in the old, dead trees continued role in the circle of life.


Dear me... what started as a sentence to commiserate about losing a wonderful old tree has turned into a short story!




I can hear the love birds, smell the moss (and the monkey crap!)
I agree with what others have said and together with your incredible illistrations this would be a brilliant kids book.
Circle_Something
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 12:05:25 AM

Rank: Forum Facilitator

Joined: 8/11/2012
Posts: 1,965
Location: Glasgow-ish
My health. Again. I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday for a blood test to check for a vitamin deficiency. He doesn't know what's causing my pain (or peripheral neuropathy), so he's just trying to rule things out, I think. I've to fast before the blood test, so no food after 7:30 PM. Won't that be fun?

Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Don't forget Kitty and Kitten. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
A love poem <3 Kitty & Kitten
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^= <3 ^.^

snoop
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 10:29:47 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/29/2012
Posts: 1,724
Location: Piedmont, United States
"Get outta the house ... go do SOMETHING !!! " she says😳😳😳
Rebellious_Soul
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 11:06:10 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 4,839
Location: In the Void, United States
Wow writing past midnight gets more done then writing during the day for a while month. Four pages into Ch 14 of rise and fall. Already half way through the chapter

Because I can,
because I want to,
And because who are you to tell me otherwise?
Rebellious_Soul
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 5:35:51 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 4,839
Location: In the Void, United States
I can't write anything positive about my sister... is that sad?

Because I can,
because I want to,
And because who are you to tell me otherwise?
Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 5:54:17 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 12/21/2012
Posts: 3,593
Location: bajo un árbol de álamo
β€œFor those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum.” ― Charles Bukowski




All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
rune
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:31:34 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/3/2013
Posts: 303
Location: neverland
A very vile and very hot pure bitterness with honey. In one shot you can die or back to your newly good condition. Yea or nae?



RuNe'S DooDLiNG iN THe SaNDS

Ballerina & Meg's Sonnet a collaboration with Survivor
The Feast Of All Saints a collaboration with Meredith
Burnt Toast a collaboration with Fuzzy1954
The Autumn a collaboration with ChrisM

My wandering crazy mind is just doodling in the sands ~ RuNe
Ghostreader
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 7:04:00 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 5/20/2015
Posts: 1,600
I'm tired of caring for my friends and working on the so called "friendship" when they really don't care about me and never talk to me.

Plus I'm tired of having those so called "Friends" not talking to me or telling that their to busy with whatever to talk :(
rolandlytle
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 11:32:52 PM

Rank: Forum Guru
Moderator

Joined: 1/14/2013
Posts: 1,699
Location: Chicago area, United States
Circle_Something wrote:
My health. Again. I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday for a blood test to check for a vitamin deficiency. He doesn't know what's causing my pain (or peripheral neuropathy), so he's just trying to rule things out, I think. I've to fast before the blood test, so no food after 7:30 PM. Won't that be fun?


I hope everything turn out alright.

You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
rolandlytle
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 11:36:33 PM

Rank: Forum Guru
Moderator

Joined: 1/14/2013
Posts: 1,699
Location: Chicago area, United States
Ghostreader wrote:
I'm tired of caring for my friends and working on the so called "friendship" when they really don't care about me and never talk to me.

Plus I'm tired of having those so called "Friends" not talking to me or telling that their to busy with whatever to talk :(


Always up for a nice chat.


You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.