Find your next favourite story now
Login

My poem "I Can Only Be There For You" will be out in a new anthology for breast cancer...

last reply
2 replies
3.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Another cover picture released today for an anthology I'll be a part of...a few years back, I was asked to write a poem for Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2010...here's the poem, and yeah, it is on this fine site...

I Can Only Be There For You
http://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/i-can-only-be-there-for-you.aspx

This was shortened from a seven stanza poem I had written btw...here's the original...I sort of felt it was too long though...

I Can Only Be There For You

You’re going through a lot right now,
This truly is an ordeal,
I can’t begin to imagine your pain,
Or how you really feel.

You have some big decisions to make,
And have a lot to lose,
I can only be there for you,
No matter what you choose.

You’ve always been there for me,
And I’ll be here for you,
And I’ll support you in my way,
Whatever you choose to do.

I know how important your body is,
And you’re as beautiful as can be,
And no matter what the future brings,
You’ll always be beautiful to me.

But I can understand your feelings,
Of wanting to restore,
Of wanting to bring your body back,
To the way it was before.

I wish I could take away your pain,
And make your body new,
But I can only be there for you,
To show my love for you.

10-07-10.

Anyway...the short version will be in the upcoming antho...here's the preface and cover...

Preface to the Word-Xpress Breast Cancer Anthology
September 25, 2013 at 3:12pm
THE WORD-XPRESS BREAST CANCER ANTHOLOGY IS CLOSE TO HITTING THE PRESS! HERE IS THE PREFACE:
“So, are you a breast cancer survivor?” That was always the question that came next when I told someone that I would be publishing an anthology for breast cancer patients, survivors, and their families. “No,” I would reply. And then, the puzzled look. I often reflected back on this pattern of repetitious question-and-reaction. Why did I always get the puzzled look? Once I was able to answer that question, I knew that I was on the right track.
I didn’t have any experience at all with breast cancer. But what I did have were stories. It all started with Dwight Pope. A caregiver for his mother for 3-1/2 years, Dwight stepped out of community service, and began to care for his mother—alone. As I listened to the stories of a woman of great strength struggle with the ominous disease that diminished her body and eventually her spirit little by little over the years, I was so moved by these stories, I decided to put a spotlight on this topic. I did an audio recorded interview with local author and breast cancer survivor, Vanessa Jackson Austin and playwright, Danita Jones. Vanessa wrote her book, Cries In the Wind, an account of her spiritual journey in overcoming breast cancer, and Danita put on a beautifully choreographed musical about breast cancer. Listening to their interviews shed more light on the topic and touched a tender spot in me. Afterwards, women who heard the interview contacted me and shared their personal stories. I wanted to hear more stories and so I began to place myself at events and in situations so that I could saturate myself with as many stories as possible. Meanwhile, I decided I wanted to contribute through the business of Word-Xpress, which is about artists impacting their communities through their God-given talents. What better project to springboard this universal concept?
I’ve always believed in the power of art. Why wouldn’t I? It saved my life. In my mind’s eye, I envisioned a book of poetry, essays, and inspirational quotes that breast cancer patients could read over and over again to be motivated to keep fighting to live, to find kinship through the testimonies, and to feel supported. And even deeper, I believed that breast cancer patients and survivors who shared their stories could receive an emotional healing by sharing their stories; and it proved to be true.
There are many causes to stand for: homelessness, AIDS, gun violence, and domestic violence, just to name a few. When people let others know that this is what they stand for, what they fight for—we nod our heads in agreement and know that these are causes worth standing and fighting for. We do not ask “why.” I hope that this book and its encompassing campaign will shift our thinking around breast cancer—any cancer, for that matter—and encourage everyone to feel the same. Cancer destroys lives, people, and families in the same way that homelessness, AIDS, gun violence, and domestic violence do. It is no different! And that is the understanding that brought about the Word-Xpress Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign. It is more than just wearing ribbons, donating a check, or running a run; it is about CARING. We can simply CARE, whether we have experienced it or not.
There is no way I could have produced such a rich and wholesome book for breast cancer patients on my own. Word-Xpress truly believes in the power of the Artist Community, and that power can certainly be felt in this anthology. Each writer, whether a first-time writer sharing her testimony, or the veteran poet, or the dynamic healers, has woven a beautiful fabric of words of strength, faith, courage, pain, overcoming fear, facing doubt, and so much more. These are not just words; this is raw emotion—felt to the core and then through the heart. These are words that are impregnated with the powerful intention of healing, uplifting, and motivating patients and survivors to embrace life in spite of appearances. This is an example of caring—it is about giving of one’s personal Self.
One of the Word-Xpress writers, Shiree McCarver, summed up the message of this anthology so prolifically, “Cancer is not death.” It took a lot of courage and caring for these writers to overcome the programmed belief that cancer equals death. It took a lot for them to dig down deep and find words that ‘xpress’, “You can live!” This is obviously not a prevention campaign—although prevention and research are extremely important; this is a 180 degree turn from prevention to caring for those who are already suffering. Word-Xpress wants to thank all of the writers that took the time to share their stories, their talents, and poured energy into this book. And for Dwight Pope, words cannot ‘xpress’ the gratitude that I feel in my heart for your undying faith in this project and words of encouragement. I know that each of you will be blessed for your offering to God—because he who has never seen God, but can love his neighbor, truly knows Godly love.

Kisha S. Freed
Founder and Owner
Word-Xpress Publishing &
Word-Xpress.Com

I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
I'm going to give this one a bit of a bump, since it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month once again...and this book supports a great cause...

I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...