Find your next favourite story now
Login

Has anyone here ever written a screenplay?

last reply
10 replies
6.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Has anyone here ever written a screenplay? I did a google search and there is a lot of info, but not sure what is of value and where to start...
Has anyone ever used a screenwriting program like this?
http://www.screenwritingpro.com/
I never knew anything like that existed...
I am toying with the idea of turning one of my stories into a screenplay...I've had a couple of people tell me my second humor piece on another site would make a good movie...lol...
It is very dialogue driven, and I've written a couple of short one-act plays, but have no clue as to what is expected in a screen play regarding stage directions, camera directions, etc...
Right now this is totally in the "maybe" stage...so, any input would be appreciated...besides telling me I'm crazy...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I had to do one in highschool...had to use Romeo and Juliet and the movie the Princess Bride to do it..came out pretty good I got an A from it...
"Tomorrow is a new day!" *from chicken little the movie"
Sassy
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Hey Sassy...it must have been good, if you got an A...
I'm starting to think this could be a real project...as someone on LinkedIn pointed out in a discussion group..."A screenplay has shot discriptions, interior, exterior, fade in fade out, etc."
Just what I was afraid of...
Someone recommended this free program...
http://celtx.com/
Btw, I have not been on LinkedIn long...since the day after Thanksgiving, but I find it a great to way to connect with other writers and they have a lot of discussion groups...
Something to think about...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I did a radio script play; but the tutor said it read more like a play rather than a radio script!
Lurker
0 likes

I live in North Hollywood and have a number of friends who are writers.

Each of them uses this program "Final Draft" [url]http://www.finaldraft.com/[/url]

Every studio / production company has the form it prefers, and in this program all the major studios are represented by example. Also, when peddling a screenplay (etc), they will also advise you how "they" prefer it to be set up.

I hope this helps!

Van
Rest in Peace
0 likes
I found this site as well...a professional screenwriter made the suggestion that I actually read some screenplays first...who would have thought?

Don't think I mentioned this before, but if you have any interest in movie scripts...or are simply looking for a transcript of you favorite movie...check out this site...smile

SimplyScripts - Movie Scripts and Screenplays
www.simplyscripts.com
‎1000s of free, downloadable movie scripts and movie screenplays on the 'net. Searchable database of movie, television, radio, anime scripts, transcripts and plays. A screenwriter's resource.

Administration
0 likes
I used to write screenplays for my high school drama club. And after that for teaching purposes. I should try that again, it is very different from writing a story.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
I used to write screenplays for my high school drama club. And after that for teaching purposes. I should try that again, it is very different from writing a story.

As Van pointed out, if you are actually writing a screenplay with the intention that it may actually get picked up and turned into a movie...and if you are going to go through the effort of writing one, my thoughts are why not do it the right way so that the possibility at least exists...that is why there are software programs people use to ensure they conform to studio standards...

There was a discussion thread in one of the groups over on LinkedIn where a professional screenwriter was asking people what they wanted to know about screenplay writing for an upcoming course he was planning on the subject...basically, I mentioned I'd be interested in knowing any free programs that would be suitable, and I also inquired about estimating running time...you have to consider with a screenplay, it is not just the time it takes to read the script, since there are scenes where there is action but no spoken words...

He mentioned that, in general, you can assume about a minute per page of the script...his biggest advice to anyone considering writing one was to read a few though...and he recommended the above site...

So, figure for a two hour movie you're looking at a 120 page doc...that should keep you busy for a while...

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I did a script. Short thing though, and It was all in a notebook. First piece of work I ever finished and a testiment to my sucking ambiousness, at least I think so.

I had made a common werewolf story with a Christain twist and the unique narrative of being told at a meeting. I was vague on whether it tolk place in a court or sort of college (the head of the story was a professor who took interest in the victim tale after the event's of the story's retelling). The concept was that if the only way to cure a werewolf is for it to be dead, then why not have the baptismal symbol of being reborn become a loophole and cure him. Of course, I did not want the werewolf ability to be completely stripped from him. So the werewolf became a sort of symbol of the flesh being tamed and not demon possession or eternal damnation.

So it begins as the professor produces an introducting speech to the audience (the whole play is odd as the audience is a character that listens to the retelling of the witinesses and the theorical lectures of the professor.) about the limits to man's knowledge and the unlimits of there willing to believe that all they know is all to be known. With that said, he brings the witinesses:

The victim, James Dyer, whose curse is not mentioned the audience but is given in tiny clues throughout the thing (of course until one of the main character mention figuring it out,

James's now-married parents, who notice his strange behavior and are told by a psychologist that he is acting out toward the upcoming wedding,

His 5 year-old, the only family member to see him first hand during his untamed condition without being harmed (He also displays a peaking moment of humor in the play)

His football team, who notices the celebrated his enhanced preformance.

His Coach, who worries about his health when James begins to pant violently, and sets him out on the bench.

His former friends, Who leave him after being treated rudely.

Ron, the Chistain friend that stayed. they aggree to camp out to allow James to prove that he is a werewolf.

Basically James is a jock who prefers to stay away from meats. One day he wakes up naked in bed without remembering even leaving the shower. As time progesses, they Dyer family soon are shocked not only to see holes in there back yard with animal carcasses in them, but the body of an neighbor with a shotgun (During the drive to school, James notices nasty bruises all over his body). James meets Ron and Ron telles him about the Bible and praying. In the shower (he always takes a shower during the same time) He feels depressed and prays that he knew what was happening to him, and catches a glimpse of transforming (still vague) before awakening naked in his bed the next morning. That day, he tells Ron that he thinks that he is a monster. Ron suspicously aggrees to go camping to allow James to prove himself. James does transform in the first big reveal, and Ron survives with cuts in his back. Ron correctly suspectulates that if a prayer could keep him aware during the transformation then maybe the church could treat it. The Baptism the audience was told tamed the monster completely, allow him to take form whenever. And an actor in the audience asks in disbelieve for James to transform, which he does, enticing the professor final speech about a new frontier of science.
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Duketravers
I did a script. Short thing though, and It was all in a notebook. First piece of work I ever finished and a testiment to my sucking ambiousness, at least I think so.

I thought your synopsis there was intriguing...I think you should at least type it up and post it here on Stories Space...

I for one would read it...

I actually think you have a lot of possibilities there Duke...and with the popularity of werewolves these days and all...just saying, but you might be sitting on the next best-seller...

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DirtyMartini
Quote by Duketravers

I thought your synopsis there was intriguing...I think you should at least type it up and post it here on Stories Space...

I for one would read it...

I actually think you have a lot of possibilities there Duke...and with the popularity of werewolves these days and all...just saying, but you might be sitting on the next best-seller...

I agree with DM .... post it here ... we'd LOVE to read it!! (and give you feedback!)

Van