Find your next favourite story now
Login

Do you write the story, or does the story guide you?

last reply
13 replies
7.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Just as the title says. Do you feel that some stories you don't have much control over and they just seem to write themselves? I feel like that with my Random Moment series and it feels great to write so naturally, without having to make the story fit into a particular style or wrangle it into doing what I want it to do. It really does make it feel like the story is not being written by me, but rather it's guiding me.

What say you?
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do what the voices in my head tell me to do...

No, most of the time I write what I want. I usually feel the urge to write, and I open Word, and let my fingers flow. I usually just start writing without realizing it mostly, and sometimes, most of the time it works. Then I'll re-read the first paragraph or so and think, W.T.F? And delete it, and start over. That doesn't happen much.

Sometimes I get ideas from others, and the smallest ideas can and do lead into beautiful stories. Though most of the ones I write here on SS are inspired by true events that happen to me personally. I usually write them as they happen. If I get hurt by someone, instead of crying I write it out.

Or a good cry, then write.. lol knowing me it's this one.

I love to write to much to be guided, unless pressured which hasn't happened in a long time.
Rest in Peace
0 likes
I write the story...I can't start a story unless I have a pretty good idea of how it goes, though I have to admit, I have tried on more than one occasion...it don't work...though to what extent sort of varies...

For instance, some here may be familiar with a story of mine "Lost Tribe" from another site...I sat down, wrote the first paragraph, then realized I had no clue how the story was going to go...two weeks later I was able to site down and finish the whole rest of the 6400 word story...

Another example here, my story "The Birthday Party" which won the first contest...I started it the day the contest was announced btw, wrote a bit over 500 words, then realized I wasn't really sure about a few things...so, I took a break and did, among other things, read one of Steffanie's stories (don't recall which one at the moment...whichever one has comments from May 26, 2011), and then came back to it after a while...took me 3.5 hours to write a 1208 word story, but hey...it won the contest...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

0 likes
Interesting question. My stories and poems are written by me, certainly, but there have been times when the plan I had at the start didn't turn out to be what would work best in the story itself. I wouldn't say the story guided me, but that I stepped back from it for a bit, took a careful look at what was already written and then reconsidered if my first ideas were still appropriate. Sometimes they were, at other times, they were not, and I worked out other possibilities.

I've had a few things that were right there in my mind, so I wrote them down as quickly as possible, such as my poem Words. One of my erotic stories was written in an hour, start to finish, based on a writing prompt at a different web site. For First Run of the Day, it was based on the theme for a story contest, but was not completed in time for the deadline, and went over the word limit anyway. That one gave me a lot of trouble, in fact, and I left the first rough draft alone for several weeks. When I went back to it after a break, I saw right away what had blocked me from finishing it. What is now the opening scene was not where it belonged. Once I corrected that, the rest of the story flowed quite well, but it was because I could get back to writing it.

This question makes me think of another one, which I'm going to start a thread for. Thanks, Andrew!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I recently wrestled with this very question since my Novel in Progress seemed to be stuck. When the story in outline form seems stiff or contrived, I find it best to go back to just writing the damn thing (sans intent), and amazing enough, the characters begin to tell their own stories! I seriously can't explain how that happens, but I'm so glad it does.
“Play the sunset."
― Mr. Holland (played by Richard Dreyfuss) on "Mr. Holland's Opus"

Find my fan page on Facebook "Diana Shallard" and follow me on Twitter too! https://twitter.com/DianaShallard
Lurker
0 likes
In all honestly I would have to say it's a bit of both for me: I usually have a good idea of the overall story I want to write. However, I do not stick rigidly to my basic plot: if another plot line, twist or situation 'arises' that might enhance or even influence the story itself as I'm writing I will incorporate it into the tale. I always leave myself open to this flow of ideas, so much so that often-times the story I end up writing is considerably different to the one I orginally had in mind!
Lurker
0 likes
I let the story guide me, because without the story what is there?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I work on developing a full background of how the world works. I build multi-level characters with strengths and weaknesses. As story progresses I let the characters tell me what they would do and that helps shape the story. I find most of my characters carry a piece of my personality in them making it easy to empathize with their choices and motivations. This also gives me a chance to exercise those parts of me that I am not proud of. All of my stories have progressed along the lines I expected because I change the situations to move toward my story points of climax, but they rarely end exactly as I expected.
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I go for days wanting to write something but cant get the words out of my head. Then all at once the words start to come out. Most of the time I don't know what I have wrote until I am
done and then go back and read the whole thing.
At times I cant express what I want to but I do try.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm with Roland I try to build up the story a good solid base before beginning the story (Either in my head or a mountain of notes sprawled down on the nearest available paper... which may or may not one day consume me. It will, that mountain of notes will avalanche on me eventually). But as I see it there are two types of writers. The architect: who plans and maps out every detail of their story before creating it; like a perfect blue print. And the Garden seed: (definitely better name for that but can't think of it at this time.) Where you have planted the idea for your story, and as you watch it grow your fingers gently guide it along with your words (your writing). You're sure you know what it will grow into but until it's fully blossomed and matured you can never be sure what will happen next.

That being said I believe that all writers have mixed parts of both the architect and the garden seed in them. So even those that plan everything ahead can't foresee the naturally developed changes to their grand structure. And even the Garden seed has some ideas of what it should and wants to grow into.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My writing style has been greatly influenced by two disparate areas.

I grew up in the fledgling days of D&D (Dungeons and Dragons). I was even involved in some of the early game development because of my association with the designer's son Gary Gygax. The person running a game would develop a fantasy world, often to great depth, and assist the players in creating their characters. The n the players played. They made the decisions of what they would do and the game director would report the consequences. The Game director would have short and long term plots built into the fabric of the world and would, time to time, leave bread crumbs to lead the characters back to their 'destiny.'

I have always been a big movie/TV nut. So when I write, it is like taking the visual story in my head and putting it on paper. I see the movie of these adventures and translate it from visual to literary medium. I think that is why my stories lack an emotional depth that others get. Maybe over time I can over come that. Hope it is sooner than later.

Sorry for boring you with this. If you can think of ways to modify my way of writing, please give me your thoughts.
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That's awesome Roland, I woulda have loved to be born or least active around the time of the original D&D coming out. I always heard about through elementary and middle school but never got a chance to play it until highschool. Twas awesome to say the least.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's a little bit of both for me. Sometimes I can see it so I write it down. Other time's it just takes over