Word of the day

last reply
69 replies
23.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I've often found it helpful in my creative endeavours to pick a word, sometimes an obscure one, and try to use it by working it into a conversation. It started when I was in my last job as a means of getting over the mechanical, mundane nature of the job and to attempt to inject some intelligence into it.

My word for today is the alchemical term, "metallurgy", which is the study of the behaviour of metal and it's compounds, which are known as alloys.

So, what is your word of the day?
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
My word for today is a word that I didn't think even existed ,"frictious". It seems to be a rare or an archaic term meaning of, related to, or caused by friction, according to wiktionary.

=^.^=
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
My word of the day is "wee". It's not unusual or anything, but has a few good uses, not just for describing size. It can be used as an affectionate term "wee Andrew"; a derogatory term "wee bastard" which, in the case, of KT Tunstall, is what she calls her loop effects pedal, both as endearment and derision. It, oddly enough, can also be used to denote someone who may be wee in stature, but big in spirit. It's a useful wee word.

=^.^=
0 likes
Quote by Circle_Something
My word of the day is "wee". It's not unusual or anything, but has a few good uses, not just for describing size. It can be used as an affectionate term "wee Andrew"; a derogatory term "wee bastard" which, in the case, of KT Tunstall, is what she calls her loop effects pedal, both as endearment and derision. It, oddly enough, can also be used to denote someone who may be wee in stature, but big in spirit. It's a useful wee word.

It certainly is a useful word, wee Andrew, and the way it sounds adds to its endearing nature.

I've not yet come up with a good word of the day, but I'm thinking it over.

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth

Hey Miss Moth...not sure if this would be considered cheating here, but there are various sites on the net that offer "Words of the Day" such as this one...

Merriam-Webster Online - Word of the Day
http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day/

And this one...

The Learning Network - Word of the Day
http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/category/word-of-the-day/

Actually, I could go on here...and a lot of writing sites have something similar...I see it on my Facebook news feed, for instance...

Just trying to help you out here...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

0 likes
Quote by DirtyMartini
Quote by gypsymoth

Hey Miss Moth...not sure if this would be considered cheating here, but there are various sites on the net that offer "Words of the Day" such as this one...

Merriam-Webster Online - Word of the Day
http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day/

And this one...

The Learning Network - Word of the Day
http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/category/word-of-the-day/

Actually, I could go on here...and a lot of writing sites have something similar...I see it on my Facebook news feed, for instance...

Just trying to help you out here...

Thanks for the links alan. For some it might not be cheating (I don't think it is either, it's more of a prompt), but for me I can't go that route. I like the challenge of randomly coming across words and being taken by the sound and / or meaning of them. Often it's the sound that appeals to me first of all, and the meaning then rounds the word out.

For instance marsupial. It really is one of my favourite words and I saw it being used in a wonderfully unusual way the other day on the London Review of Books website:

History

The London Review of Books was founded in 1979, during the year-long lock-out at the Times. For the first six months, it appeared marsupially in the New York Review of Books. In May 1980, the London Review of Books jumped out of the parental pouch and became a fully independent literary paper.

So there you have it, my word of the day is marsupial. And if you don't know what it means, well, go look it up.

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I'm fond of the word marsupial, too. It's one of those words that's just so descriptive. I think my word of the day is "WHOOHOO!" because it's been a darned good day smile

=^.^=
0 likes
Quote by Circle_Something
I'm fond of the word marsupial, too. It's one of those words that's just so descriptive. I think my word of the day is "WHOOHOO!" because it's been a darned good day smile

Fantastic that you had such a fabulous day!

My word today is "daft". It can mean mad, silly, foolish, insane, but it can also be used with a great deal of affection. My photography mentor used to tell me I was daft, after he stopped laughing at whatever bit of nonsense I had proffered. In that case it was always said with a great deal of affection and appreciation.

I'd far rather be daft in a situation where daft means nutty, normal, and having an outlook on life that is appropriately skewed to take into account the abberations that are inherent in it.

All that in four letters. Talk about a bargain!
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
My word of the day is effulgent. It's a good word, but to me it doesn't sound like what it means: shiny and brilliant or in a person emanating joy or happiness (lifted from Google because I'm too lazy to think of an explanation after las night's shenanigans). Spike in Buffy The Vampire Slayer wrote s poem with the word effulgent in it and I always fall about laughing:

"My soul is wrapped in harsh repose,
Midnight descends in raven-colored clothes,
But soft... behold!
A sunlight beam
Butting a swath of glimmering gleam.
My heart expands,
'tis grown a bulge in it,
Inspired by your beauty...
Effulgent."

If you've seen the scene where the noble dude takes Spike's poem and reads it, scoffing, you'll know the source of my mirth.

=^.^=
Story Moderator
0 likes
Submitted for your consideration:

-- meretricious --adj. Seemingly attractive but having no real value or worth.

Use with care. It can easily be confused with the similar sounding, 'meritorious' which has, of course, an almost opposite meaning.

Pedanticly yours,

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I think I shall select "Rambunctious" as my word of the day. I love the descriptive nature of it. It sounds hard to control and as if it must be used with caution. Also, I'm feeling a little rambunctious myself, after spraying a bunch of chemicals up my nose (beclometasone dipropionate, to be precise) and that is one of the best side effects of the medication. So, rambunctious it is, until it wears off and it will be a happy, rambunctious memory.

=^.^=
0 likes
Pangram - a sentence, verse, etc., that includes all the letters of the alphabet.

For example (the most well known example, in fact) this sentence:

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

I'm gonna write me a pangram... maybe.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
Pangram - a sentence, verse, etc., that includes all the letters of the alphabet.

For example (the most well known example, in fact) this sentence:

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

I'm gonna write me a pangram... maybe.

That's cool. I never knew what those things were until now, thanks for the learnage smile

=^.^=
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I think I'll have a slice of resplendence and all it's derivatives.

It's one of those words that just does what it says on the tin. It shines, it's beautiful, it's... resplendent. Refulgent... And slightly awe inspiring.

=^.^=
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
My word, for the rest of today, is scintillating. Why? It makes me chuckle.

scin·til·lat·ing
/ˈsintlˌātiNG/Adjective Sparkling or shining brightly: "the scintillating sun".
Brilliantly and excitingly clever or skillful.

Synonyms sparkling - scintillant
(copied and pasted from Google)

=^.^=
Rest in Peace
0 likes
My word of the day is Martini...why? Perhaps because the weekend has started...

Mar·ti·ni /märˈtēnē/ :

n. pl. mar·ti·nis
A cocktail made of gin or vodka and dry vermouth.
[Origin unknown.]
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There is a word god who follows me around causing one word to bump into me, trip over me, slosh me when a bus passes, and stalk me in emails, and uses my friends to hit me with it....then it goes away and is replaced by another.

This season's word is ambivilent. I don't know if I spelled it right...I've been pondering this word and it's reporcusions on school, happiness, God, friends, and all of the things that I have mixed feelings about.

...but I discovered that the Korean word for Rose is Sammi ....and I'm thinking about using that word as a name in an upcoming story about a woman in Korea...
Primus Omnium
0 likes
My word for the day is police, because so many out there think of themselves as the grammar or language police. Misspellings happen. Our English language is filled with ambiguous spellings of words. Please be kind and do not point it out unless it is a life and death situation. Let us be kind to each other, as writer to writer.
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal
My word of the day is pointless.

Well that's rather dull.

0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
My word of the day is pointless.

Well that's rather dull.

Today's word is banter.

Banter -> Turban

Ooops! Wrong thread!

Primus Omnium
0 likes
My word of the day is "clarification" because I just had to tell someone a poem was not about them. Sorry!
0 likes
My word today is 'erstwhile'.

Quote by Dictionary.com

erst·while
[urst-hwahyl, -wahyl]
adjective
former; of times past: erstwhile friends.
adverb
Archaic. formerly; erst.
Origin:
1560–70; erst + while

Synonyms
1. past, bygone, previous.

Antonyms
1. current, present.

I don't know if I came across it while reading or if it just popped into my head, but it's been on my mind demanding attention.

"Erst" would make a great name for a character.