Keep your story with you anywhere.

last reply
11 replies
7.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Maybe everybody else already knows this, but I just figured it out not long ago. I hate saving things to a physical device, and then carrying that physical device around with me, just so I can access it if I want to. There are always little compatibility issues that come up, and then maybe I want to write something but I don't have my flash drive... If I'm ever writing a short story to be submitted on a website somewhere, I use my account to store it online. I just start a new email to myself, write my story as the text of the message, and save it as a draft. I can access it from anywhere, from anyone's computer, and work on it any time I have a yen to. The same thing works for photos I may want to edit, as well.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That's exactly what I do. Can't recommend it enough.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I use a writing notepad and a pen. Good old paper. I tend to lose expensive gadgets. It fits in my bag and goes everywhere I do...
New Poem out

The Observer
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Mmm, Google.....

Big brother is watching you....
Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by amador
Mmm, Google.....

I'm good with that- at least I give him a good show.nyqer5hn6AmFMzCC
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
You don't have to do it as an e-mail to yourself. Your g-mail account has google documents.
Here's what you can do with documents:

* Upload and convert Word documents, OpenOffice, RTF, HTML, text (.txt), Open Office (.odt), and StarOffice Writer (.sxw) files (or create documents from scratch).
* Easily format your documents, spell-check them, etc.
* Invite others by email to edit or view your documents.
* Edit documents online with whomever you choose.
* View your documents' revision history and roll back to any version.
* Publish documents online to the world, as webpages or post documents to your blog.
* Download documents to your desktop as Word, OpenOffice, RTF, PDF, HTML or zip.
* Email your documents out as attachments.
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. ~Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That's neat. I never knew you could do that. I feel like such a caveman now. (LOL)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by amador
Mmm, Google.....

You can do the same thing with Hotmail, or Yahoo, or probably any other web-based mail service.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mr_Nudie_Pants
That's neat. I never knew you could do that. I feel like such a caveman now. (LOL)

I just learned about it in school last quarter, so I'm not really that far out of the cave either.
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. ~Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Pen and paper and my email account (not ) does it for me.

www.szadventures.com

Rest in Peace
0 likes
I wrote a story using the method you described, sending a doc to myself...I was writing on my net book, but it got stolen last month...
I wrote the story in and then copied and pasted it into Word2007 at the library to do "spell and grammer" check before posting...
I do not recommend using flash drives...too many people lose them or leave them plugged into a library computer somewhere...I also know of an author who had one become unreadable and he lost about 15 pages of a story he was working on...
Another alternative is to save your work as a draft on a site like this...some people write their stories in the submission page...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...