Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Why Do You Write? Options · View
Daisy
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:03:30 AM
Daisy

Sorry if this has been done before!

I was wondering, why do you write?

And as a natural follow-on, why do you share what you write?

I know as the topic-starter, I should kick off, but I am still wondering about it myself. A few months ago, I joined a different story site, thinking to myself, "I can do that!" And I started to post, and nobody was mean - they were encouraging!

I have written various bits and pieces all my life, since I was first able to write, but I never seriously began to think of "Writing" as opposed to just plain ol' writing stuff until I joined here. I have a few friends who are published authors, but I would not share with them the things I have so far produced for these sites. I'm not ready for that yet. And I am still thinking about how I feel about the questions I am now putting to you.

The answers may be simple, or complicated, or you may not even care. But if you feel like sharing, I would like to know:

Why do you write?

Why do you share what you write?

Dreamcatcher
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2012 6:12:27 PM
Dreamcatcher

I started writing when I was 10 years old as an escape from a miserable childhood.. I share probably less than 5% of my work.. and the little I do share is so I don't seem like a kibitzer when I rate and comment on the other writers here who are far more prolific and better at it than me..

ladysharon
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2012 10:26:26 AM
ladysharon

This should answer your question.

How I Write, Part One is my very first blog post on WordPress. That should give you some idea about my writing style. I've yet to post part two to my blog.

DirtyMartini
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:05:45 PM
DirtyMartini

Daisy wrote:

Why do you write?

I started writing after I joined an erotic story site, and some here know which site...right Larry? But anyway, I joined the site originally just to read the stuff, but it was a site like this where people rate stories and they had a "Hottest Fantasy" list which sort of intrigued me...

After a few days on the site I decided to give a shot at writing something, to see if I could make the list...it was like a challenge, a mountain that needed to be climbed...that was April 21, 2009...and it took me two tries to make the list btw...

Daisy wrote:

Why do you share what you write?

Now you're asking too many questions...I'd say it's the feedback from readers that keeps me writing, it's certainly nice to hear from someone who can relate to what I've written...

I no longer worry about making any "Hottest Story" or "Top Author" lists...I'd like to think I moved beyond that...happy8

I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

VanessaFinaughty
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 1:36:24 AM
VanessaFinaughty

I write because I'll go mad if I don't. It keeps me sane.

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you - Ray Bradbury.

Find me on Smashwords: www.smashwords.com/profile/view/VanessaFinaughty
Hire me as your editor: www.write-way-freelancers.com
CKAcres
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 6:06:36 AM
CKAcres

I only started writing about 10 months ago, with the encouragement and help of a wonderful friend.

I have found a release through writing, that I never knew existed before.

I really enjoy learning or should I say trying to learn all of the dos and don't s.

"No one knows when the final grain of sand will plummet through their own personal Hourglass." ~ CKAcres
"If you really want to make a difference, don't over think it, just do it..."
"Scars of life are deeply etched within the minds of curious old souls."
VanessaFinaughty
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:01:22 AM
VanessaFinaughty

CKAcres wrote:
I only started writing about 10 months ago, with the encouragement and help of a wonderful friend.

I have found a release through writing, that I never knew existed before.

I really enjoy learning or should I say trying to learn all of the dos and don't s.

Writing is a fantastic release, for sure. I'm half convinced that many writers would be serial killers or another type of sociopath if they didn't have that release! Whistle

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you - Ray Bradbury.

Find me on Smashwords: www.smashwords.com/profile/view/VanessaFinaughty
Hire me as your editor: www.write-way-freelancers.com
DirtyMartini
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:34:48 PM
DirtyMartini

VanessaFinaughty wrote:

Writing is a fantastic release, for sure. I'm half convinced that many writers would be serial killers or another type of sociopath if they didn't have that release! Whistle

Something tells me they just might be serial killers and sociopaths anyway...btw, someone posed the same question here over in a Facebook writing group...I answered "So we can call ourselves writers and hang out in Facebook writing groups with other people who call themselves writers?"

I thought that made sense to me...

I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

mylie
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:22:07 AM
mylie

I write because it relaxes me and cheers me up. And what would I do with all the ideas in my mind if I don't write them? lol.

I share them online for the feedback I guess. No one in real life even knows I can write. lol

scooter
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:58:47 AM
scooter

I took up writing because I had no idea how to spell or use proper grammar.
Made sense to me, look how I turned outbook
writania3
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 11:17:36 AM
writania3

I write to express my thoughts and to speak up my mind because I believe that communication is important most especially through conversing to other people.

There are different types of communication and one of the commonly used writing. Writing is a part of my everyday life. It is not merely for conveying information to my readers but I consider it as my passion.

I may get tired of talking but in writing I am always dynamic.

Be an Inspired Writer! Be one of US!
Visit writania.com for more info.
sea
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:37:55 AM
sea

I write because i have always wanted to... i used to scribble.....when i was younger but discontinued.
I started again Because of Carl.....even when he did not knew that i used to doodle he felt i could, with that kind of faith i dared not fail!
Also i have realized that writing let me voice all my thoughts on issues that i feel deeply about. I can voice my protest paint a painful portrait of some customs in my society and share my angst against things I feel deeply about.

fuzzy1954
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:58:03 AM
fuzzy1954

such a nice topic
for me I came at a late age. never thinking
I was able or had the talent to write till this July
I was blessed to meet a special dear friend on your
other site. we grew as friends and she told
me of this site and said write Carl but write
from your heart and I have thanks to Vani she
is my muse my friend the one I turn too
THANK YOU VANI for believing in me

Noraj
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:42:34 PM
Noraj

I never thought of myself as a writer till recently. But I started writing as a way to express myself. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to grammar. But I'm up to the challenge.

I share my work to learn from others opinions.

All Alone my latest story.
Rascal
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 5:36:12 PM
Rascal

I don't really know. I do know I'm addicted now. I had never written, except for some letters years ago, before July. I started on the other unnamed site just to see if I could turn some my mental fantasies into stories. I was amazed to being allowed to publish. I certainly enjoy the wonderful comments I receive, but now that I've started I'll never quit.
ElChupacabras
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:42:18 AM
ElChupacabras

I personally write because I get the "urge" to do it. I just gotta write when the story starts writing itself in my mind, and if I don't write something to remember it, it will very likely get lost. In fact when I start to write, the ideas flow and I can't stop. I love it.
Circle_Something
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:59:56 PM
Circle_Something

I write for me, mostly. It's a good way to declutter my nutter, so it helps me cope with life. I don't share everything I write because some of it is just for me. The things I do share, I think other people of a similar bent may enjoy and part of my raison d'être is to bring happiness or entertainment. Complete honesty here: I do get a kick out of people enjoying my writing, but as I chiefly write for myself, I wouldn't say it's the be all and end all, though it is nice to be acknowledged, even of it's something as simple as "I like your writing". I suppose, for me, it's quite a selfish reason, but it does boost my confidence if someone gives me positive feedback. Besides, sharing is a nice thing to do, ain't it?

I think I rambled and repeated myself a bit. Whoopsie!

Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Don't forget Kitty and Kitten. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
A love poem <3 Kitty & Kitten
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^= <3 ^.^

TigerLilly
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:50:43 PM
TigerLilly

I write to release thoughts or feelings I need to get out.
burnt7
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 5:26:59 PM
burnt7

I do it to Express Myself.
An attempt to do so in a way that is easy to for others to understand.
I want to know that someone else knows.
I want to share the good and the bad.
Most of the time it is totally random.
i'd never actually plan to write anything.
I just want to write and learn.
I want to express my anger, my love, my desires, my hatred, and whatever else i comes to mind.
Ofcourse, knowing 'how to write is important.
There are rules for writing.
Now i find myself more involved in learning new words and doing grammar.
I'm not afraid to try.
I never will be.
Expressions are important, and one should record it as the moment reveals it.

I write because i yearn.
I write because i know not how.
I write because i learn
I write because i Can.

When You Don't Feel Like Smiling, Smile Anyway
Rebellious_Soul
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 7:56:15 PM
Rebellious_Soul

I write mainly to prove to my fifth grade teacher that I, the worst speller in the class, the one didn't know how to use grammar, the one girl who had half a spelling list; was gonna be the one to write stories. I share them because, what good is a story if it's not being read.

Because I can,
because I want to,
And because who are you to tell me otherwise?
frogprince
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 8:40:44 PM
frogprince

I agree with reb. A story is no good if nobody reads it. For those who read Life of a Nagha, it was written almost 45 years ago by me as a joke. It was never published or written down until here. I was a technical writer for my career. I wrote and edited articles, books, papers and blogs. When I retired, I stopped writing. Then I was led to this site by a dear friend. The rest is history. I write and I am learning to write better every day. I want to hone my craft to the point I get a book published that may sell. I also want to help younger authors grow and write better by editing their work pointing out their mistakes. This is why I write.

I just keep hopping from place to place.
I never stay too long.
I just keep moving singing a song.
So you better stop me if you want to chat.
Or you will never know where I am at.
Starfallfantasy
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:14:23 AM
Starfallfantasy

I write because its an expression of myself. I enjoy taking these characters and watching them grow in my mind and and my pages as they experience new things and face new trials to either fail or overcome. I enjoy the unfolding the stories of these characters and painting out the new worlds and scenes they come across.
And I share my writing with other because I want to take others on this journey above and beyond, into fantastic new worlds and introduce them to new people good and bad. I want to give the experience and thrills of facing down monsters with only your sword and your wits. And the fear of certain death as you find yourself in perilous situations all without having to leave the comfort of your room. I want to take you on a voyage where your courage is the wind that blows the sails and push's the ship across the seas of adventure.
I also wish to turn this once shy hobby into a full fledged career :D
rune
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:16:23 AM
rune

to flash out some of what im thinking...

RuNe'S DooDLiNG iN THe SaNDS
Ballerina, Meg's Sonnet & Meg's New Sonnet a collaboration with Survivor
The Feast Of All Saints a collaboration with Meredith
Burnt Toast a collaboration with Fuzzy1954
The Autumn a collaboration with ChrisM
My wandering crazy mind is just doodling in the sands ~ RuNe
aussie_kitty77
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 6:55:54 PM
aussie_kitty77

I write to release thoughts or deal with feelings I need to get out.

AvrgBlkGrl
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 5:37:01 PM
AvrgBlkGrl

I write for the same reason that I cannot stop writing or reading. It is an integral part of who I am, how I see and communicate. It is
a part of my growth and development as a person; so, I will never stop learning it and striving to improve it. I write for myself.
However, it is not purely something I do to "unburden" myself. I truly respect it as an art form. I love the power of words. I also write to be read and
possibly understood, that is why I do share some of it. Writings for myself and that which is to be shared
may or may not be one in the same.

Please Read My Latest Story (Click on the Banner):

maryruth
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 6:57:32 PM
maryruth

why do I write... wow that is a good question. I write because I have all these feelings and emotions going around in my head, my fingers will not be still and I get on the laptop or get a pen in hand and things just happen. words are down and sometimes I don't know what they are until I ready them again.
I write because I want to share my feelings and life with others. to help or to just for them to read. I have learned that the feelings that move me, that goes down on the site here are words of love.i love to read others words or just talk to the friends I have here....

to sum it all up why do I write how could I not is a better question for me it is like breathing it gives me life

NymphWriter
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 11:25:38 PM
NymphWriter

Sanity. My personal sanity.

Writing has saved me from the brink of depression and disaster. It has given me courage and hope. Writing is my lifeline.

maryruth
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 10:21:22 AM
maryruth

why do I write..... simple I must.
to write lets me be me.. I write because I have all the emotions and feelings locked inside me. it has to escape and does with words. i read others to feel and connect with them. i love to read.
to write is a part of me, that simple i have to do it.
i would love to know others understand what i am trying to tell them but in the end i do it because i just must. if no one reads or not. i just must.... it is me ....
hayley
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:22:10 AM
hayley

I started writing for emotional release.... found I could express what I felt more effectively in poetry than in person, face to face, because all my early work was directed at the lady whose love brought me to NY.

Then I found I enjoyed writing for writing's sake, although I am sure that is never true.... but was able to express the passion I feel for fashion through blogging and, subsequently, by contribution to a leading fashion magazine.

So I guess I write to express passion? ... although I sometimes think it is to dispel loneliness.

I never feel alone when I am writing.

Vern_Fawcett
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2016 5:05:25 PM
Vern_Fawcett

I write because I have to. Whether it is to release emotions, or to record events, or to technically document and instruct, I have to. I am a natural teacher. Teacher's need to write as well as read. I do mostly solid real world related stuff, but I can dabble in fantasy to release my imagination. I also am a natural show off and getting the words out there is the "kick" that drives me on.

May your parchment be smooth, your ink never blot, and your writing never block.